Author Topic: Dorset button maker  (Read 29434 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset button maker
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 18:09 BST (UK) »
Aha !     Is your Williams from Dorset ??   

(I forget the people I have already asked this question, so forgive if I have asked before !)
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
No our williams are from Holyhead, my Dorset family are Marsh,  pity it would have been nice if we had had a link.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 20:04 BST (UK) »
Ah well   :(   worth asking !    If there had been a link, you'd have had a Dorset Williams Dorset button maker on your tree !!
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 12 August 12 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have just come across this thread, so I hope you don't mind me butting in.
Until I could no longer see well enough I used to run a one woman business making all sorts of hand (not machine) embroidered things, boxes, pictures, bookmarks, beadwork, gold and silver work, all sorts,  and sold them at craft fairs.
To attract people to my stall, one of the things I also used to do was to make Dorset buttons and show children how to make them into badges. Basically, all the stitches used are embroidery stitches but executed in the round rather than just flat.
It was originally a cottage industry in much the same way as the bobbin lace makers and stitched lace makers were in Buckinghamshire, Notts, and Devon. Most lower class women and children of villages were employed and the fruits of their labour were collected by agents who sold it in the quality shops of towns and cities. The agents also provided the raw materials at a cost.
The stuffing for  the knobs and hightops was usually hard packed raw scraps of washed wool in much the same way as raised stumpwork is created.  An old Dorset button though is created just with packed rounds of tiny embroidery stitches.
The thread used was not cotton (that came much later)  but tightly spun, double twisted, worsted wool or linen or a mixture of both. Really high quality buttons were made with spun silk.
Spinning flax to make linen thread I could never really get on with, but spinning wool, silk, and hair was part of what I did, my spinning wheel fascinating those who stopped to watch.
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 13 August 12 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicwinann, interested in your reply to the dorset button thread. The history of the dorset button makers is fascinating. I also spin and used to belong to the Little London spinners down in Lockerley, We used to go to various shows demonstrating, and have carried on going to shows in Wales. I hope that you are able to continue spinning, such a relaxing hobby.

Offline rushmore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 19 January 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Abraham Case and family re: Dorset Buttons. Can anyone point me in the direction of primary sources for his birth, army service, marriage in 1622, children (allegedly Abraham Junior and Elias, grandson Peter et al! I have tried Ancestry/Parish Records without any clear links. Yet conventional wisdom credits him with marrying a girl from Old Wardour and settling in Shaftesbury to start the Dorset Button industry! Any suggestions?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 January 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Dorset OPC site has a great variety of records:

http://www.opcdorset.org/

Good Luck!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 19 January 13 11:11 GMT (UK) »
There is an excellent leaflet/booklet on Dorset Button that writes quite a bit about A.Case. the booklet, I believe has been reprinted, it does not give specific dates of birth or marriage but is very interesting.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 19 January 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I googled "Dorset Buttons" and it appears Abraham originated in the Cotswolds.............

Perhaps if you get in touch with the "Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard" newspaper they might be able to help in some way - country newspapers love a quirky article!

Also the Gloucs FHS can very possibly help or put you in touch with someone who can.

And have you  searched the National Archive for paperwork re Abraham's military service??

Good luck!   :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.