Author Topic: Clean up for Bus trip please. (colour if time allows)  (Read 4085 times)

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Clean up for Bus trip please. (colour if time allows)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 July 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
The vehicle in the photograph is a Shelvoke & Drewry Freighter, which was a small-wheeled chassis with a transverse engine mounted next to the driver (part of the radiator can be seen to the left of the photo). The driver steered with a tiller rather than a steering wheel, and they were usually carried refuse wagon bodies, though there were 50 bodied as charabanc or buses and where used as seafront transport (with such small wheels,progress would have been slow). They could be found (though not exclusively) at Blackpool, Brighton, Rhyl and Worthing.

Well spotted - Made just down the road from me in Letchworth Garden City.

Here are a couple more to add to your collection.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 July 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
Example of one with a roof fitted

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 July 17 10:23 BST (UK) »
Nice work Steve...shame the poster hasn't been on Roots since 2014  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 July 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
Nice work Steve...shame the poster hasn't been on Roots since 2014  :-\
Carol

oops - Thanks Carol.

Best spent 4 hours (lol)

Never know - One day he may come back.

Steve