Author Topic: Ald B Maddox J.P.  (Read 2877 times)

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
Ald B Maddox J.P.
« on: Wednesday 30 April 08 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Below is a newspaper article about my gg uncle (by marriage, he married my paternal great grandfathers sister Sophia Harris)

Does anybody know anymore about this man or might be related to him?  I find him a very interesting man and would like to know more. I know a bit about his public life but little about his private or masonic life, unfortunately there is no one left in my family to ask.

Your help would be appreciated.

Sharmar

DEATH OF ALD. B. MADDOX, J.P. There passed away, early on Thursday, at the Lady Forester Hospital, Ald. B. Maddox, after a brief but painful illness, at the age of 57. A few weeks ago he caught a chill on the liver, and complications set in. He was removed to the hospital on Wednesday to undergo an operation the following day,  but passed away. He was in many respects a most remarkable man, and those who were more intimately connected with him were conscious of his more than average ability. He rapidly rose to the position of superintendent of the Refuge Assurance Co., and took an interest in all public matters; the poor he particularly looked after. He was chairman of Madeley District Council and Madeley Board of Guardians. No public business was too insignificant to escape his careful attention, and in larger matters he was an ardent worker and spared no energy; mainly through his indefatigable exertions, that the free traffic bridge was erected across the Severn in 1909. Deceased was a gifted speaker and could advance his views with telling effect. He was a useful supporter of the late Sir Henry, for whom he was local organiser. He was first elected a member of the Wenlock Town Council in 1896, and was raised to the Aldermanic bench in 1917. In 1908 he was appointed Mayor of the Borough of Wenlock, and was elected Justice of the Peace for the Borough of Wenlock in 1906. He was on all the important committees in the Iron-Bridge district. He was a member of the Foresters, and was a Freemason. He had taken a keen interest in football and had been a member of the S.F.A. In politics he was an ardent Liberal. He was connected with the local Primitive Methodist denomination, and was on the preachers’ plan. He was also supt. of the Sunday School. His widow and five grown-up children have the sympathy of the whole town in their sad bereavement.
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Ald B Maddox J.P.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 08 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharmar,

The local Freemasons may be able to assist you. www.pglsalop.org.uk

Send an enquiry to the Provincial Grand Secretary.

Christopher

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 08 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharmar :)

www.broseley.org.uk/Papers/1905%20.htm - 139k

www.broseley.org.uk/Papers/BROSELEY%201923.htm - 179k

Small world, I  put some heating in for the said lady a few months back,

Pete :) :)
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 08 21:01 BST (UK) »
There was a good turnout of attendees at Broseley Wesleyan Sunday School
to collect their annual prizes on 16th January 1923 8)

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 May 08 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks for the replies, most useful.

Pete

It maybe because its Monday morning and my brain hasn't kicked in yet but who's the 'said lady'?

Once again thanks for your help.

Sharmar

Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).