Author Topic: George family in Tottenham/Edmonton  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Gisele45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George family in Tottenham/Edmonton
« on: Sunday 04 May 08 19:45 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the George family who were living at 23 Argyle Road, Tottenham at the time of the 1901 census?  They were Ethelbert George, his wife Elizabeth (nee Wilson) and their son, Benjamin, and daughter, Jeannie.  Ethelbert was a lithographer by training but was a printer's traveller in 1901 according to the census.  I would be interested to hear of any descendants, as they would be my cousins.

Gisele.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George family in Tottenham/Edmonton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 May 08 13:46 BST (UK) »
I see in 1901 Benjamin was 26, Jeannie was 24.

Ethelbert Ford George was born in 1849 and died in 1920 in Edmonton district (freebmd).  Possibly Elizabeth is the Elizabeth K who died in 1918?

His son is possibly the Benjamin P. George who married in 1911 in Edmonton (IGI gives his middle name as PRATT).  I believe he married Eleanor C. Herring and moved to Bristol - freebmd shows two possible daughters from this family born there, Marjorie and Daphne.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gisele45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 May 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information.  Yes, Ethelbert George, my grandmother's half- brother, married my grandfather's sister, Elizabeth Kidd Wilson in Glasgow before moving back to the south.  You have beaten me to it, though,to find the names of his son's wife and their children.
Again, many thanks,
Gisele.

Offline Gisele45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 May 08 10:51 BST (UK) »
Dear Jorose,
You obviously know more about how to navigate the IGI than I do as I couldn't find anything about Benjamin P. George when I tried.  What's the secret?
Gisele.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 May 08 14:19 BST (UK) »
I just used a parent-search from the main page - if you enter father Ethelbert George, mother Elizabeth, you'll see the entry.  Otherwise if you do a search for exactly Benjamin Pratt George, it will also come up.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk