Author Topic: MB. 1862 York Factory HBC passengers  (Read 8521 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MB. 1862 York Factory HBC passengers
« on: Wednesday 07 May 08 21:28 BST (UK) »
I have a list of passengers from the Prince-of-Wales (II) ,1862, to York Factory
Commander D. J. Herd
(Northern Manitoba) Most on board are ship's crew and men who signed up for the HBC. Please don't post unless you are sure your ancestor signed up with the Hudson's Bay Company around that time.
A contact email to the HBC archives will get you that information beforehand.

Occupations are mostly listed as labourers and some have specialty occupations Blacksmith, etc. and ages are not listed
This is only a list of names, as it is a ship's log entry....

Hudson's Bay Company employees - Scotland to York Factory 1862
Lerwick  men embarked June 24th
Stornoway men embarked June 27th
Inverness  men embarked 28th ( month not given, assume from order, June)
Stromness men embarked July 1st

Transcribed May 2008 / archives source: M# 2M87 (.1/847-860)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MB. York Factory HBC
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 23:17 BST (UK) »
Will also add the rest from the page when I have time to transcribe......

Ship's log, 1862 Commander Herd - SHIP Prince of Wales bound for York Factory Hudson's Bay

Saturday 7th June 1862 AM Strong Wind from the West rd with dry
weather.~~Washed decks (?)~~12:30 PM  The company came down
by the "Petrel" *. Received them as customary with 7 guns (?)~~
Mr. Mc Kenzie,  Mr. Tibbet,  Mr. King,  Mr. Mc Dougal, Joined Ship
as Clerks for Hudson's Bay Comp'y,  Mr. Thomas joined ship as
Surgeon~~0:30 "The Company" left for London~~Saluted and cheered.

* The "Petrel" was an HBC sloop...so it must have picked up the new Company men ( from?) to join the voyage to Canada...

There are several dates written beside the men's names. It was hard for me to read until home on the computer...but obviously more scanning would be required to understand where the men were picked up
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 23:44 BST (UK) »
For Laurraine!

A Laurence, Basil & Thos Smith labourers...# 2 is also a Thos Smith  , # 30 a Malcolm Smith (Stornoway)! 
The piece up the side of this list says ( I think)  "Lerwick men Embarked 24th June"

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 May 08 20:38 BST (UK) »
For Spanish eyes:
A Jas. sabiston was one of the laborers in the list of Stromness men embarking on July 1st. Remind me...Where had I said there was another Sabiston as I have lost my notes!
Did find a Peter Sabiston on the foredeck...not on the HBC list...

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: MB. 1862 York Factory HBC passengers
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 May 08 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ

The Laurence Smith is definitely mine.  Am wondering who the Thomas is?  Laurence had a younger brother Thomas who we have no info on excepting his birth.  Interesting.  Thank you so much.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 May 08 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ:

Was so excited about seeing this, forgot to thank you.  Absolutely fantastic for you to do this. :) :) :)

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 May 08 04:10 BST (UK) »
Already had the information, as I scanned for someone else ( unfortunately his wasn't on the list)...  so no trouble at all!
I should probably transcribe the lists one of these days...and post it as well, but not at the moment...It won't be a great resource as no ages given, but if someone has the date of signup it would certainly tie up the time of travel to Hudson's Bay....The actual logs are rather dry reading, but one can surely picture the ice they dodged and get a clear picture of the weather, which is accounted for daily by mr. Herd!
allt he best,  J.J.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 May 08 05:12 BST (UK) »
Do have a bit of information the HBC Archivist sent me.  We knew Laurence had left Shetland in 1862 and Archivist confirmed plus told us he was in Fort Carlton as a freeman (need to check the dates) so he must have served out his contract.  Shown beside his name was a grant of land - but can't recall the terms, etc.  Now will try to trace  Thomas Smith.  Thomas is a very common name in the Smith families so could be a cousin, but interesting.  His age might be on the hiring contract if it can be found.
Always wondered if Laurence arrived via the Hudson's Bay and what ship, so you have answered some of my questions.  Truly wonder who this Capt. Herd is too.  Wonder if anything on him would be in the HBC records?

Lauraine

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 May 08 05:29 BST (UK) »
His records go back to the 1840's as there is a MGS writeup on him sailing in 1842 on the Prince Rupert...
http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/transactions/3/isbister_ak.shtml