Author Topic: SEARCY: Uppingham PR *COMPLETED*  (Read 7369 times)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
SEARCY: Uppingham PR *COMPLETED*
« on: Friday 16 May 08 09:44 BST (UK) »
I'd be very grateful if someone can look up the births of Thomas and Frances SEARCY in Uppingham c1815-1820 and confirm whether they are brother and sister or not.  Details of any other siblings would be a bonus! 

From census returns, I know that Frances' mother is called Mary.

Many thanks.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SEARCY: Uppingham PR
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 08 12:01 BST (UK) »
Yo Rambler,

Baptisms from Uppingham Parish Registers DE 1784/9

Mary Ann daughter of George and Mary Searcy 28 March 1813 No. 8
Elizabeth daughter of George and Mary Searcy 29 July 1814 No. 50
Thomas son of George and Mary Searcy 12 June 1816 No. 133
Frances daughter of George and Mary Searcy 2 March 1818 No. 203
George son of George and Mary Searcy 29 November 1819 No. 272
John son of George and Mary Searcy 15 February 1823 No. 384

George's occupation was collar maker.

Regards

Crowboy
Langley (Rutland, Lancashire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire, South Australia); Mallett, Mallet, Cowling, (Cornwall, South Australia, Victoria, Qld); Turner, Onyon (Lincolnshire); Harden, Hearden (Essex); Bradley (Lancashire); Palmer (Devonshire)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 08 12:38 BST (UK) »
Crowboy, you're a gem!  Many thanks - Rutland is new territory for me!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 May 08 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again Rambler,

Uppingham Marriage Register DE1784/11

George Searcy and Mary Thorpe both OTP married by Banns (23 Feb, 1 March, 8 March) on 12 March 1812. Witnesses John Curtis and Thomas Thorpe.

(No luck with your Sellers surname in your other post).

Crowboy
Langley (Rutland, Lancashire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire, South Australia); Mallett, Mallet, Cowling, (Cornwall, South Australia, Victoria, Qld); Turner, Onyon (Lincolnshire); Harden, Hearden (Essex); Bradley (Lancashire); Palmer (Devonshire)

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grace Joy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SEARCY: Uppingham PR *COMPLETED*
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 09 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crowboy,

I live in Australia and Mark Anthony Hayes who married Maria Searcy were the couple that migrated here and there are many Hayes as a result. Maria Searcy's parents were George Searcy and Mary Atkins Thorpe. I was most interested in your list of children to a George Searcy and a Mary Thorpe that didn't include a Maria. Is it possible that she was their child, too? She was born in 1826 in Hallaton and christened in Uppingham.

Grace Joy

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 November 09 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grace Joy.

I have re-checked the Uppingham Parish Registers microfiche from 1813 up to 1837 and I cannot find a baptism for Maria Searcy/Searcey in this period.  I have also checked non conformist baptismal records for Uppingham and nothing there.

I note Maria Searcey married Mark Anthony Hayes in December Quarter 1843 Uppingham Vol 15, Page 1288 making her 17 when she married.

For interest , John Searcy infant was buried 24 February 1823 No. 307 and George Searcy aged 4 was buried 25 February 1823 No. 308. Source Uppingham PRs DE1784/10

Have you been able to place Maria and or Frances Searcy/Searcey at the 1841 Census? Unfortunately though the 1841 Census only records born/ not born in county.

In 1841 Mary aged abt 55 is living in Medbourne Leicestershire which was in the civil registration district of Uppingham. Thomas aged abt 25 is also in Medbourne with his wife Jane.
In 1851 Mary is with Frances (Sellars) and family in Uppingham while Thomas is with Jane and family at Medbourne.

Sorry I am unable to validate Maria Searcy/Searcey for you.

Crowboy

Offline Grace Joy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crowboy,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Wonderful! How disappointing to not be able to connect it all together neatly. I will continue to hunt for facts for Maria Searcy/Searcey - we have several spellings.

Regards, Grace Joy

Offline crowboy97

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:52 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome Grace Joy.

I will make a mental note of the Searcy name for when I am reading through microfiche and let you know if I see anything of potential relevance.

Do you need more details of the 1841 and 1851 Census observations or do you already have these? 

I hope you can solve the Maria puzzle.

Crowboy

Offline Bernard John

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 December 09 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Maria Searcy was the daughter of George Searcy and Mary Thorpe. According to her death certificate completed by her husband Mark Hayes she was born in Hallaton. I hvae seen a baptismal certificate giving her place of baptism as Uppingham.

I have extensive material on her mother MaryThorpe's descent. which I am happy to share.  I would be interested in making contact with any descendnants of her siblings including the Collins or Sellars family who located to Wawickshire.

John Freesmith
Adelaide
Australia