Author Topic: War Service Records  (Read 9670 times)

Offline ellensophia

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: War Service Records
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 July 04 02:41 BST (UK) »
I have recently been in contact with the national Archives re: War Service Records. This was their response.
Thank you for contacting The National Archives (TNA).

SOLDIERS DOCUMENTS BEFORE 1914

The basic framework of a soldier's career throughout most of the nineteenth century, can normally be traced through the surviving Muster Books and Pay lists of his regiment(s), which are kept here. Using these to find a man's whole career can take a long time.  For many, but not all soldiers, it is quicker and easier to start with the Soldier's (enlistment and/or discharge) Documents in the collection known as WO 97.  This does not include all soldiers.  Before 1883, it normally covers those soldiers who were discharged and received a pension.  From 1883 to 1913, most soldiers are included, if they survived their service.  It can be difficult to find records of soldiers who died in service, especially as the muster books stop altogether by 1898.

Please click on the links below to detailed information leaflets on Soldiers' Discharge Papers 1760-1913, Muster Rolls and Pay Lists c1730-1898, and Soldiers' Pension Records 1702-1913:

http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ExternalRequest.asp?Request Reference=ri2005

http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ExternalRequest.asp?Request Reference=ri2007

http:// www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk /ExternalRequest.asp?Request Reference=ri2006
 Hope this helps a bit.
Ellensophia

skippy

« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 July 04 01:03 BST (UK) »
There is some helpful info on the following site which gives some advice and lists documents available. Its especially helpful re army records back to 1660.

http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/common/sitepages/ge6.asp 

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 July 04 01:26 BST (UK) »
Skippy,

Thanks for that link,  it is a very useful one.  Put it into Useful links in the common room if you have not already,

Thanks  :D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 September 04 19:18 BST (UK) »
I see that records for soldiers who came out of the Army after 1920 are held by the MoD.

I actually have one or two original documents of my grandfathers in my posession. One is a de-mob account which notes a war gratuity of £23 and three separate weeks pay, the last being 25 February 1919. But the form has been stamped 14 February 1924.

You'll note that there's a gap of exactly five years. Does that mean he only got his war pension after that time? Perhaps he was liable to be re-called during that time.

But would he count as coming out of the Army in 1919 or 1924? That would point to where his records may be.

Ray
Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 November 04 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if anyones still looking for WW1 records, but I was given the name of a researcher last week, I e-mailed him last Sunday, he visited Kew on Tuesday, found my great grandfathers "Burnt Records" within an hour, he has sent the details out to me already.
He only charges £15 per hour and 30pence for each A3 photocopy.
It would have cost me between £75 and £100 to get to Kew and back plus the fact I would have lost a days pay from work, and I probably wouldn't have found anything anyway.
Money well spent wouldn't you say?
I would be happy to recommend him to anyone who is thinking of accessing Army records.
Regards,
Viv.
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 November 05 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Jaq

I hope I read this correctly- but did you say you have access to some PRO disks? I am interested in seeing what was mentioned in the following list,regarding Eric Frances ROBINSON who went down with the ship.

ADM   116/1526   Casualty List, HMS Hampshire, 5 June 1916

Would be very grateful if you would do a look up please.

All the best

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk