Author Topic: Scotlandspeople updates  (Read 1298 times)

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
Scotlandspeople updates
« on: Wednesday 19 January 05 10:47 GMT (UK) »
I see there Scotlandspeople site is now mentioning new indexes and data to be available next week. It doesn't say which, but it must be some of the 1841-71 censuses which have been promised for so long (that is they promised the images and gave no information about indexing)
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Scotlandspeople updates
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I know I really support free access to these things but I can see me being destitute within a week of the census coming on line.

That's if we can get on!

P ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 January 05 08:35 GMT (UK) »
The revised estimates for when data should be available can now be seen on the website:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php?area=content/about_this_site/whats_in_database

According to the server upgrade message a couple of days ago, there should be a data update next week. That must be the 1871 census (though it says Spring 2005).
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 January 05 06:21 GMT (UK) »
ScotlandsPeople has just announced an update.

This is the addition online of 1904 records and images to the Statutory Births, 1929 to the Stat Marriages, and 1954 to the Stat Deaths.

It is still not clear why such time limits are imposed on the online Statutory Records when people can go to New Register House (or have someone do so on their behalf) and see such records almost up to the present day ...

But let's be grateful that the SP site exists.  As far as it goes, it is absolutely fantastic.

The SP site still predicts that an 1871 census index and images will be available online in Spring 2005.  Those of us who blithely put our faith in earlier predictions (for this and earlier censuses) will now just wait and see...

Judy