Author Topic: Fatfield  (Read 47533 times)

Offline old dog

• -
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fatfield
« Reply #72 on: Friday 27 April 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddron there is one on the washington library, 

old dog
ENGLISH,SCOTT,KILBURN, BURN,MATTHEWS,ELLIOT, BERRIMAN,BAIRD,RENWICK,ROBSON,EASTON,MADDER,MURDIE,TURNBULL,WILSON OGLE,WADDLE,ROGGE,DUFFY

Offline TomDodds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 19 January 13 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Castlestreet,
My first job on leaving school was for Bain and Hind decorators  ;D old Albert Hind's firm.
He used to keep bee's also had two dogs if I recall were called penny and twopence lol.
He was a character was old Albert I can tell you as he would trundle in to work in his tweed suits lol.

Best wishes,

Tom Dodds.

Offline paulr_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 20 January 13 20:14 GMT (UK) »
A new resource: https://sites.google.com/site/fatfieldsite/home

Looks like there's lots of info on Cox Green. Low Lambton, Penshaw Statithes and the Victoria Viaduct but more to come on Fatfield and Chatershaugh? Quite an impressive list of Riverside Inns as well.
Appleby (Co. Durham), Bainbridge (Northumberland & Co. Durham), Batey (Houghton-le-Spring), Brotherton (South Shields), Butchart (Angus/Forfar & Sunderland), Fairless (South Shields), Graham (South Shields), Kirtley (Sunderland & area), Kitching (Westmorland), Mallinson (Westmorland), Pattison (Sunderland), Pickthall (Westmorland & Co. Durham), White (Co. Durham), Parker (Co. Durham), Robson (Sunderland & area), Walls (Co. Durham)

Offline Rutherfordian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 15:40 BST (UK) »
long time since your post but only just found this site.  My mothers family lived in Fatfield for at least 3 generations and the 1851 Census shows my great great Grandfather Walter Rutherford age 40 and my great grandfather Lancelot Rutherford age 8, along with 4 other family members, living at Fatfield House in the Sub District of Harraton. I am interested to know more about Walter if anyone can help, he was born in Wilington 1811 and a blacksmith by trade.

Do you know what happened to Isabella Rutherford, the sister of Lancelot?  I am looking for my great grandmother Isabella Rutherford, born about 1846 and I am eliminating all the Isabella's who I can find.

Offline natecripps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I appreciate that this forum has not been active for a while, but I am hoping that some of you are still watching or will be notified.

I am trying to find out more information about Verdun Terrace (does it still exist)?  My Nan was born there and I am planning to come up and visit with my Aunt (who is visiting from overseas).

Also, my Nan's father was a Hall - I believe he was born on Biddick Lane - but he died when she was three (and so did her older sister) from a mining accident.  I cannot seem to find any records of him, except on my Nan's birth certificate and I am eager to try and trace back that part of the family.  He does not appear to be on any of the mining websites as it was not from a disaster.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Nathan,
In reply to your question regarding Verdun Tce, sorry that no longer exists. Many years ago it was demolished along with what used to be the old village of Fatfield, although the old welfare is still there, it stands directly opposite Biddick Lane. I have clear memories of Verdun Tce and Castle street etc having been born in Fatfield in the late 50s and still in the nearby village today.
I hope this is of some help to you.
regards
Sam-Ann

Offline natecripps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 18 August 16 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sam-Ann,

Thank you - would they have run alongside what is now known as Bonemill Lane?  If so, does it make sense to you that nan could have run across the road to biddick Lane? I believe Her granny hall lived at the top there.  There are quite a lot of halls so I am just trying to piece together the stories I was told with information I am finding.

Is the old welfare the community association building?

Many thanks for your help.

Best
Nathan

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 18 August 16 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Nathan could you please get back to me with your last message because i deleted your personal messge by mistake.....sorry.

Yes the welfare is the community welfare building. From Vernun Tce your nan could easily have run across the road and onto Biddick Lane. I used to go tp Fatfield School, again, beside Biddick Lane.
Please get back to me if you so wish.

Regards
Sam-Ann

Offline dido

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 03 November 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi. On this lovely nostalgic posting about Fatfield, anyone know of The Raft Yard and Chapel Row school? The last I remember of the school was seeing Silent Night or maybe Knight lorries parked in there. Also trying to find if there was a pit there called Sand Blast Pit. Thanks for the memories roots chatters.
Dido.