Author Topic: DENNETT -Dullar Farm Sturminster Marshall  (Read 3953 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DENNETT -Dullar Farm Sturminster Marshall
« on: Wednesday 28 May 08 19:13 BST (UK) »
I have been reading a book abouth the Bailey Gate Milk Factory at Sturminster marshall ( my husband's grandfather and uncles worked there) and Inotice that one of the suppliers of milk was the Dennett family from Dullar farm.
Now, one of my huband's relatives married Adolphus/Alfred Dennett in 1869 (Blandford Reg) and he is shown as being a dairyman born at Charlton Marshall c 1850.
Does anyone have any details on either the Dennett family of Dullar Farm or of Adolphu/Alfred Dennett born c 1850. In 1881 he is a dairyman at Sydling St Nicholas and in 1891 he is the same but at Worgret, By 1901 he is a publican at Green Man Inn, Lydlinch.

Does he have any connecction with Dullar farm (owned by Dennett)?

Many thanks

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline ADennett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DENNETT -Dullar Farm Sturminster Marshall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 22:15 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather was Alfred Dennett he joined the royal marines in 1900 and was born in 1882. After leaving the marines in 1922 he moved to stoke wake in Dorset. I'm trying to find out where he was born, he would most definitely be related to the Dennett family at Charlton Marshall. His son Alfred was born in 1922 he also had a daughter Violet. I think his wife was called Lilly and according to my aunt she died during a home birth and Alfred married an Irish lady.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 December 16 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello- I am sure i will be able to help you with this one as i have Alfred Dennett (married to Amelia Wood) in my research. Give me a few days and I will see what I can uncover for you. My initial research that i did in 2008 shows that Alfred Dennett married Amelia Wood
1869   Married      Adolphus Dennett    Blandford  Dec Q Vol 5a p524
1871 Census – Living in Blandford with
Jane Budden      Head      Age 60      Mother in Law      
Lucy Budden      Daughter   Age 19               Born to Jane and Thomas
Arthur Dennett   SonInLaw   Age 20               Born Charlton Marshall
Amelia Dennett   Daughter   Age 19               Born Blandford
***********************************************************************************
1881 Census – Living at Dairy House, Sydling St Nicholas
Alfred Dennett   Head      Age 30      Dairyman   Born 1850 Charlton, Dorset
Amelia Wood      Wife      Age 29            Born 1851 Blandford
Charles Luthpen   Boarder   Age 16      Dairyboy   Born 1864 Pimperne    
***********************************************************************************
1891 Census – Living at Worgret, Lady St Marys, Wareham
Alfred Dennett   Head      Age 40      Dairyman
Amelia Dennett   Wife      Age 39      Dairywoman
Tom Multon      Cousin      Age 15      Occ Dairyboy
Ernest Ash      Servant   Age 17      Occ Dairyboy
******************************************************************************************
1901 Census – Living at Green Man Inn, Lydlinch, North Dorset
Alfred Dennett   Head      Age 50      Publican   Born 1850 Charlton, Dorset
Amelia Dennett   Wife      Age 49            Born 1851 Blandford
(was her husband called Adolphus or Arthur or Alfred??)
1911 Census- Living at Green Man Inn, Kings Stagg, Lydlinch, Sturminster Newton
Alfred Dennett   Head      Age 60      Public House Keeper
Amelia Dennett   Wife      Age 59
Maggie Machem   Niece      Age 15      (daughter of Letitia Wood-see below)   Born London

However I cannot see at the moment that they had any children. I will endeavour to try and find out more for you.   Once you have posted in this message three times we will be able to share information via personal messages.

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 December 16 15:00 GMT (UK) »
I have started to look at the Dennett family for you. Stoke Wake is certainly quite close to sturminster Marshall- sitting either side of the own of Blandford forum. On an initial look based on your information, the only Alfred Dennett born in 1882 was registered in Prescott (Lancs) in Sept 1882. This Alfred Dennett seems to have married Cora Forth in Richmond Yorks in 1919 and they then had a son Alfred G Dennett born 1922 registered in West Derby (Lancs) - is this the correct family line?

Curiously there was also Arthur Dennett born 1882- registered at Wimborne- which would have been a possible registry for a sturminster Marshall birth.

Can you confirm back to me which of my information given here tallies with your records so that i know I am looking at the right person! If you see from my research you will see that my Alfred Dennett sometimes called himself Adolphus or Arthur!

I will wait to hear back from you before I investigate any further from you. Can you also confirm who had the daughter Violet and married Lily?

Caroline

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 December 16 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the burial records for Stoke Wake I have found the following deaths and traced back some info on BMD - let me know if this makes sense. The births registered in Portsmouth makes the Royal marines link for you:

Burials at Stoke Wake:
Nora Gwendoline Dennett 30th Jan 1953 aged 69
Violet May Dennett (of Bockhampton) on 25th Feb 1959 age 35 (therefore born c 1924)

Free BMD:
Violet M dennett born June Q 1923 registered Portsmouth- mother's name BUDD
Marriage traced Sept Q 1909 between Alfred Dennett and Ethel Lily Budd- New Forest Hants

Children traced therefore for Alfred Dennett and Ethel Lily Budd:
Lily Dennett born 1912 Portsmouth
Freda I Dennett born 1913 Portsmouth
Nora E Dennett born 1914 Portsmouth
Doris D Dennett born 1917 Portsmouth
Vera M Dennett born 1918 Portsmouth
Alfred H Dennett born 1921 Portsmouth
Violet M Dennett born 1923 Portsmouth

Death of Ethel Lily Dennett June 1927 aged 42- registered at Alverstoke Hants
Marriage of Alfred Dennett to his second wife Nora G Merritt Sep Q 1928 at Alverstoke- this will be the Nora Gwendoline Dennett buried at Stoke Wake in 1953.

I can see a birth for Nora Gwendoline Merritt in Portsea 1884 which would seem to tally with the age given at death in 1953.

Hope this is building a picture for you. I think the previous link with lancashire is now looking tenuous and I wonder if we need to consider the birth of ARTHUR Dennett in Wimborne in 1882 rather than ALFRED Dennett in Lancashire in 1882? What do you think?
I have now looked at the 1911 census an I can see Alfred's wife Ethel Lily (mistranscribed as Sily) Dennett- in Portsmouth (her place of birth given as Totton near southampton).
On the same Census I can see that there is an Alfred Dennett at Devonport (Navy base)- born c 1883 at Milton Abbas- which takes us back into Dorset and looks more likely to be our man.

In 1891 I think I have your Alfred Dennett in Dewlish Dorchester which is only 5 miles from Milton Abbas- which tallies with the entry found for him in 1911 in Devonport which shows his place of birth at Milton Abbas.
in 1911 my Alfred Dennett (born 1850) was innkeeper at the Green man Inn at Kings stag which is only 3 miles from stoke Wake- the net is closing!
Does any of this ring any bells with you?

Offline ADennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 December 16 19:21 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic. After looking through the internet last night in the national archives I found my great grandfather Alfred Dennett was born September 10th 1882 Milton Abbas, 1883 maybe the year the birth was registered. My own birth is December 24th 1983 but online I was born in 1984!!!! My grandfather Alfred was born in Portsmouth, that's something we've always known but never knew why until my auntie Corinne showed me a picture of my great grandfather in his royal marine artillery uniform. My guess would be that after my great grandfather Alfred left the marines he moved back near to where he grew up. We have a picture of Violet too, she was in the RAF during ww2. My great grandfather Alfred talked my grandfather Alfred out of going to war and he carried on working on Frankie Kent's farm in stoke wake.
the funny coincidences are that from my Grandfather's first marriage he had 7 children 5 girls and 2 boys. Also my father was the inn keeper of the baker arms pub in child okeford. All of my Grandfather's children live in okeford fitzpaine or hazelbury Bryan. Both these villages are close to stoke wake, Milton Abbas, Charlton Marshall, dewlish, sydling st Nicholas etc
the link I'd love to find now is between my great grandfather Alfred and the Alfred Dennett from Charlton Marshall. Many people here name their first born son after themselves, most people are known by a nickname instead of their own name. Arthur or Adolphus may be a name he was known by locally in that parish or a middle name as quite often people use this instead of their first. My aunt told me of Lily and Gwendoline, she never told me their first names. My aunt Corinne has all of my great grandfather's possessions, I'm sure there would be some interesting things.

Offline ADennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 December 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
P.S I also found a Frederick Dennett son of Alfred Dennett, Dorset killed during WW1 he was also a marine

Offline ADennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 December 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Another website says Frederick Dennett's parents were Alfred and Jane of crewkerne, Somerset

Offline Kar Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi good evening. I was wondering if anyone was still looking at this site?
I googled the surname Dennett as my Gran was Freda Ivy Dennett (Married name wood).

My mother Margaret spent a lot of time growing up in Stoke wake with her grand parents Alf & Ethel.
She spent time with her uncle Alf (Freda's brother) and his children Michael, Mary, and Margaret.
My mum comes from the Gosport area. Her grandad Alf when he left the Royal Marines was a military policeman on the gates at the munitions yard Fratter in Gosport. He lived in the guards houses directly outside the main gate.
When he retired he moved back to Dorset.
Violet had a son before she died he was brought up as my mums brother by her parents Charles and Freda
If anyone looks at this please send a message as my mum would like to get in contact with the Dorset side of her family