Author Topic: Scarlet fever hospital Blyth  (Read 49012 times)

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scarlet fever hospital Blyth
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 02 April 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
In a book, "Lonely Road" by Nevil Shute, first published in 1932, there are many references to this hospital.

The book is a novel about a town with a declining shipbuilding industry.  It doesn't use the name Blyth, but anyone reading it will have no difficulty recognising that the story is based upon Blyth.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
I bought Loney Road and read it yesterday. No reference or markers to Blyth or Northumberland in any setting. However on doing more research I came across this. It seems the story you refer to is actually Ruined City.

https://www.nevilshute.org/PhotoLine/PLD-1931-1940/pl-1931-1940-05.php

I shall now get a copy and read that! Fortunately I enjoyed reading Lonely Road very much.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
Phodgetts,
You are completely correct.  The book based upon Blyth is Ruined City.

I can't think how I managed to get the books mixed up.  Perhaps old age and mental degeneration is creeping up on me  :-[ .

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 21 June 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating thread!

"Please accept my apologies for going slightly off-topic , but I think it's useful to comment on Nova67's 'naming' comment (see below) from last October (2016?):

Nova67's COMMENT: It is interesting with the Northumbrian tradition of surname as middle name that I have found a few examples of it being attributed to an Uncle by marriage.  Sometimes it is the mother's maiden name, or something much more complicated.  Often the Aunt and Uncle by marriage might be childless.  I guess it was a way of honoring them and still carrying on a family name.  Then this middle name might be passed down to successive generations - totally baffling the family historian ???  Check out those side arms of the tree ;D"

I had a cousin who was delivered by C section at the Thomas Knight Memorial hospital. His three forenames were Gordon Mason Knight - the names of the surgeon and doctor and also the venue of his birth!

I'd also like to add a thanks for the image in reply 11, which shows Folly Road. Does anyone know precisely where the Wood Houses, or Wood Row, Folly Road were located? They were made of mahogany and provided a very poor quality of home, eventually being declared unfit for habitation by the medical officer for Blyth, and condemned in 1891.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
"Does anyone know precisely where the Wood Houses, or Wood Row, Folly Road were located? They were made of mahogany and provided a very poor quality of home, eventually being declared unfit for habitation by the medical officer for Blyth, and condemned in 1891"

Not an easy question to answer.

I followed the Enumerator on his travels through the 1891 census in this area of Blyth. He visited Folly Terrace 1-19, Folly Cottage Hospital, Folly Cottages 1-5, Folly Wood Houses 1-4. He then made his way to Church Street now lost under the 1896 Police Station. He then went along Northumberland Street north to south, King's Head, Star & Garter, Odd Fellows, Vicarage, Ridley Arms, Ridley Street and then Tate Street.

Various maps of the time have slightly differetn details, but the Cottage Hospital shows on both versions giving us at least one acurately identifiable location. It seems on the basis of that, that the Wood Houses were located at the end of the northern most Ropewalk. The cottages do not show on the 1896 map, but do show on the 1859 edition, and on one edition that I cannot share on here, that small row is marked as having 4 individual properties in it.

The attached map will show you what I mean. Also follow this link to the area covered in broader detail; https://maps.nls.uk/view/101027304

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that, Phodgetts  :) as usual, you're a veritable mine of information.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
No problem Bobs Lass. Just in case you were wondering what the place looked like back in the day, check out the Cottage Hospital. Though the Wooden Houses cannot be seen in this image, they would have been just out of sight off to the left.

P

Offline Bobs lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. I've often wondered if they were demolished after they were condemned as not fit to live in, fell down after further decay, or the plot sold on by the landlord. He obviously wasn't prepared to invest in the major repairs detailed in the Medical officer of health's report.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
No doubt the Landlord sold them to make a quick and easy few pounds. This area of Blyth was redeveloped as of 1896 onwards, new buildings went up along the newly built road and houses of Ridley Avenue and Park View. Forster Street, Percy Street, Horton Street and Rosamond Place all went up in quick succession. Wooden Houses stood in front of the gables of Stanley Street South which can be seen in this skyline view of the Park and the new streets beyond. Sadly the Wood Houses were long gone by the time this photo was taken, but again, you get a good idea of how Blyth changed at that time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/14158927263/in/album-72157641931957224/

P