Author Topic: RICHES family of Fressingfield  (Read 5859 times)

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RICHES family of Fressingfield
« on: Monday 02 June 08 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have a connection to the RICHES family of Fressingfield?

I'm certain that I have correctly traced my family back to John RICHES who married Elizabeth FEVERYAR in Fressingfield 1780. I think John died in Fressingfield in 1814 aged 53 so was born about 1761. I have not found a baptism for John in the Fressingfield parish records.

A while ago I was given a tree that showed my John being born c1765 Fressingfield to parents Joseph RICHES and Mary CHARITY who married at Ditchingham in 1766. This tree goes back a couple more generations in Bungay. I have lost contact with the person who gave me this tree so I cannot find out the source of this information but I dont feel that there is any evidence at all that would connect John to Joseph and Mary of Bungay.

I did find a John RICHES baptism in Fressingfield 1727 to parents John and Elizabeth - too old to be my John but possibly a relative?

Any ideas what I should look for next to either prove or disprove that my John is the son of Joseph and Mary?

Many thanks

Lyla

LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins

Offline suffolkboyswife

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: RICHES family of Fressingfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 June 08 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm just going to send you a PM as it has some personal info about a family member who is still alive and I don't want to put it online for all to see.
This info may or may not be of interest but I'll send it anyway.

Sarah
Lincolnshire - Keightley   Randell/Randall, Clark(e), Brooks, Neave, Horton, Fidel, Wilson
Bedfordshire - Brown, James, Plowman
Suffolk - Smith (Fressingfield),Catchpole, Blo(o)mfield, Leftley, Vincent
Nottinghamshire - Fenton, Weightman, Laycock, Wilson
Norfolk - Claxton, Todd, Fiddaman,

Offline Ffortune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
Lyla
I'm stuck at the same John, he & Elizabeth Feveryear are my 5xggps
regards ffortune

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi ffortune

It's really frustrating isnt it?. I am descended from John and Elizabeth's eldest son John born 1781 who married Lydia Potter in 1804. I can't find any John Riches born c1760 in Fressingfield or any surrounding villages. I would be very grateful if you would let me know if you ever find him or any possible siblings!

Regards
Lyla
LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins

Offline ssr

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sometime ago I started looking in to this line and have just picked it up again as a descendant of the younger William line from Elizabeth and John.

When I started I had to go through microfiche and actually visit records offices, which means I now have information I can't remember where I got it from but the print outs are genuine - roll on the internet.

What I can say with some confidence is that John b1765 is almost certainly the son of Joseph b circa 1736 in Bungay (christened 13/3/1736 at Bungay Holy Trinity) and Mary Charity m 9/6/1766 @ Ditchingham. Information can be found on the Ditchingham Parish register fiche 13 of 29 and can be obtained from the Norwich records office.

I am now stuck myself, if you or anyone has information about Josephs parents Francis b circa 1695 in Bungay who later married Rebecca (nee Hardingham) from Beccles, they were possibly married around 1720 ish.... I would be most grateful

Thanks

Steve

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Ah, ancestors along the Suffolk border villages and towns that far back tend to hop back and forth across the boundary and you may find further evidence in some of the villages on the north side of the river Waveney.

The parents of your Francis may have been from Narfolk bor'

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Do you happen to have the exact baptism date for the John Riches c1765? I know that Bungay is not so far from Fressingfield but do you have any other evidence to prove that he was indeed the son of Joseph and Mary? Do you know if they had any other children and if so where?

It would be a very strange coincidence for me as I was born in Ditchingham almost exactly 200 years later.

The researcher I mentioned told me that Francis Riches was born 1695 and christened 1700 Bungay and he married Rebecca Hardingham 26/4/1720. It doesnt say where the marriage took place but that Rebecca was born in Beccles.

Lyla

Offline Ffortune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 September 09 09:07 BST (UK) »
The Fressingfield parish records show a John Riches burial 1814 & give his age as 53 which would put his birth date circa 1760. Given that Joseph Riches marries Mary Charity in 1766 I think we would need some very persuasive evidence to attach John to this couple given the 6 year gap.
Circumstantially I would also note that neither John or his son James (my 4xggpp) use Joseph or Francis as a name for any of their sons. I also checked the Fressingfield baptisms for the children of John's sons John, George, Robert & William & none of them have any sons called Joseph or Francis.
regards ffortune

Offline Ffortune

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 September 09 09:25 BST (UK) »
CLDS has the following family which I think should be considered.
William Riches m Mary Rackham 1.1.1758 Earsham, Nfk
(ch in Earsham)
>John ch 15.5.1760 (Denton, Nfk)
>Lydia ch 13.6.1762 (Denton, Nfk)
>Harry ch 5.10.1766
>Phillip ch 20.1.1771
>Benjamin ch 26.6.1772
>Elizabeth ch 28.3.1773
>William ch 22.2.1778
>James ch 22.2.1778
>Rebecca ch 19.12.1779

regards ffortune