Author Topic: Mary WHITMORE, Ipswich Mayor  (Read 8760 times)

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
Mary WHITMORE, Ipswich Mayor
« on: Thursday 12 June 08 19:05 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's cousin, Mary Whitmore (nee Fletcher) was the first female mayor of Ipswich in 1946-7. She was a suffragette and always had an interest in women's health and education. She studied at Whitelands College and later taught at Nacton Road Mixed School. In 1951 she was awarded an MBE for her public service.

In her later years I understand  she went to live in the rectory in Belchamp Otten,  with her daughter (Enid?) who was married to the rector, R. Trevor Howard. Mary died in 1974.

I would love to find out any more about Mary; especially interested in anyone who might remember her, or know something more about her public service. Also keen to get in touch with any remaining family members.

thanks,
Janet
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Whitmore, Ipswich Mayor
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 June 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Ipswich council should be able to help out with details of Mary's council activities.  Their website  www.ipswich.gov.uk  has a link to contact them.

Good luck,

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 June 08 19:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I had been in touch with them already, and with the Ipswich RO,  but was hoping to learn a bit more about Mary's later life, and especially if anyone remembered her or the family. ;)
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 June 08 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you looked for an obituary in a local newspaper?  It might include details of her later life.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 June 08 11:45 BST (UK) »
I have been sent a copy of her obituary, which did give me many details, but not much on her MBE, just that she had received it in 1951 "for her public service".

Offline ontheball

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary WHITMORE, Ipswich Mayor
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 September 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
Mary Whitmore was my Great Grandma, but she died a long time before I was born. Enid and the late, great Trevor Howard are my paternal grandparents. Mary Whitmore's husband, James, played for Ipswich Town

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 September 08 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi ontheball,

That's great to know that there is still some family out there! Mary was my grandmother's cousin, I have an old photo of her in her graduation robes. You may already have a copy of this, but if not I'd be happy to forward a copy, if you pm me with your email address. I also managed to get a copy of Mary's records from Whitelands College, where she studied, and some details from her obituary etc, sent by Ipswich Records Office. I also have one or two postcards sent by Mary and her sisters to my grandmother and her sisters. Nice to hear from you,

Janet (in Glasgow)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 23:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Janglashu + Ontheball

There may be references to Belchamp Otten on the Foxearth Local History web site, www.foxearth.org.uk

If you wish to discover any more family members in that area of Suffolk you could send a letter to the Suffolk Free Press, the weekly newspaper for the Sudbury area of Suffolk at www.suffolkfreepress.co.uk/

Or for wider area of the county www.eadt.co.uk the East Anglian Daily Times - as it says, the daily newpaper for Suffolk.

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, SM,

Janet