Author Topic: Mary WHITMORE, Ipswich Mayor  (Read 8761 times)

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
Re: Mary WHITMORE, Ipswich Mayor
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 December 08 20:41 GMT (UK) »
This is a picture of Mary in her graduation robes (1905).
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 December 08 00:29 GMT (UK) »
What a beautiful photograph Janet.
So clear as if it were taken recently.

Whitelands College?
Is that the one in SW London?

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline janglaschu

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine o'n dh'thainic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 December 08 11:30 GMT (UK) »
The photo has been enhanced slightly by a friend who is a whizz with that sort of software; it has indeed sharpened it up beautifully.

Whitelands College is now part of Roehampton University; it was then a teacher training College, I suppose one of the earliestwhere women could study. I sent off for Mary's exam record and the archivist was very helpful.
Suffolk, England – Benstead, Boldero, Boldy, Boyns, Boynes, Collins, Cooper, Elliott, Fletcher, Laflin, Laws, Lankester, Markham, Marshall, Orriss, Steward, Taylor, Thimblethorpe
Scotland – Barclay, Campbell, Finlay, Freeland, Grove, Hay, Horn, Laird, McDonald, McKay, Milne, Mills, Peebles, Robertson, Shearer, Stewart, Strang, Thomson

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 December 08 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Ah ha!

Now you know one of my secrets  - I met my Suffolk bor when he was a student in London and I had just returned from working abroad.
John had become friendly with my cousin and that is how we met.
I lived with my family in Putney - not a million miles from Roehampton.
Instead of taking the job in Toronto I took the job in Suffolk (wife, mother etc etc).

Putney and Roehampton seemed to be full of Teacher Training Colleges in the 60s and 70s.  Now they have all merged into Roehampton Uni.
Certainly the Colleges had a very good reputation for turning out excellent women teachers.

All best wishes for Christmas  :)

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Ipswich Women in History

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 September 16 08:03 BST (UK) »
Mary's memory is still alive in Ipswich. A group of us have produced a Self Guided Walk Booklet about  women who made a significant contribution to Ipswich life and along with 3 others. A Blue Plaque is to be unveiled on the Town Hall in her honour on Saturday 8th October 2016. We contacting family of the four women. If you want to learn more please let me know. You can see more about Mary in our booklet, available from Ipswich Tourist Information and on our website at
http://ipswichwomeninhistory.co.uk

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 September 16 19:15 BST (UK) »
Ooooh how exciting! I wonder if I will be able to get along to the unveiling? Will definitley get a copy of the booklet next time I call in the TIC.
There is a talk on our Suffolk pioneering women at The Long Shop Museum on Wednesday evening and I would like to go, but it clashes with a talk at Framlingham LHG  ::)

Thank you for the information Ipswich Women in History.

SM ...
I have to find two more!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 September 16 19:32 BST (UK) »
The Gloucester Citizen, 21 Dec 1946

YOUR WORSHIP?
Ipswich Town councillors want to know the correct mode of address for their first woman mayor Alderman Mrs Mary Whitmore. At her first council meeting the score was "Madam Mayor" (49 times); "Madam Chairman" (25); "Sir" (20); "Mrs Mayor" (12) and "Madam Chair" (once).

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 September 16 12:29 BST (UK) »
If you are a relative or descendant of Mary Whitmore can you send a message and email address
 to our group via the contact page of our website and we will get back to you as we would like to invite you to the unveiling
Regards
http://ipswichwomeninhistory.co.uk/contact-us/

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 19:26 BST (UK) »
Dear SM thanks for your interest in the Ipswich women who have been hidden from history. Are you a relative of Mary's ? If so please get in touch as we really want family or descendants to be there. The launch is for relatives of the women concerned and will be hosted by the Mayor of Ipswich.
However on the 6th November our group is running a tea and quiz at Arlingtons in Museum Street Ipswich where we will be celebration these women and this will be open to all. Tickets will be available from Arlingtons Let me know if you are interested
Pat on behalf of Ipswich Women in History

ontheball and janglaschu are you relatives of Mary Whitmore?