Author Topic: Hawker of pots/earthenware  (Read 44070 times)

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hawker of pots/earthenware
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 08:54 BST (UK) »

What a wonderful piece of information

"Elfie Delfie"

Do you think this may just have been your local mans calla, or common to all

Any ideas how to find more information on Hawkers calls
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 10:01 BST (UK) »
Common to all in Glasgow's east end!

I like the wee story in Alastair Phillips, "My Uncle George", where a hawker wifie heavily encumbered with bundle & bairn calls at the Free Church manse in Fearn, Ross-shire, where George Mackay was the minister. His housekeeper gave her short shrift and told her never to come back. "Ye can kiss ma erse" retorted the traveller heading away from the door, "An ye can kiss ma erse as weel", echoed the bairn.

Skoosh.

Offline Wild Woman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 31 March 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing this!! ☺

Whitehaven Preston Quarter

Pottery Lodge   
Charles Lowther/60 /Travelling Potter/   NK/M/Head
Chucky Bob
(My Great Great Great Granda)

Martha
Margaret Lowther/58 /Travelling Potter/NK/M/Wife

(My Great Great Great Grandma)
William Lowther/27 /Travelling Potter/NK/U/Son

Pottery Lodge
John Lowther /24 /Travelling Potter/ NK/M/Head
Jane Lowther/ 18/Travelling Potter/NK/M/Wife

NK = Not Known for place of birth

Pottery lodge seems to be associated with the Trousdale pottery manufacturers.  I imagine these are outhouses that families stayed in while they bought new merchandise.

Pottery Lodge also Potters Lonning!
 :) These Lowthers are my relatives!!! Theirs a few more children to be added though :-) Thank you for sharing this!

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 01 April 17 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't know how many people are still connected to this thread, but it would be great to revive the conversation.
Since my last post (several years ago) I've spent many happy hours researching my Travelling ancestors, Keenan's, Berry's, Knowles, Hutchinson's, McKenzie's Strickland's and the families they married into, Lowther, Miller, Lovell, Dewsnap etc. etc. I'm in regular contact with other family cousins. and we have been working together researching, and more recently using DNA to increase our knowledge of our Travelling family and Hawkers in general.
Our families Travelled Cumberland, Westmorland, North Lancashire, North Yorkshire, Durham and Scotland.
Since my last post I have a much greater knowledge of Travelling families in general and mine in particular, I have followed families as the emigrated for better lives to USA and Canada and have at least 2 who were given penal servitude and transported to Australia and I'm in contact with their descendants. Anyone interested in more chat, or would like to PM me, I'd be happy to answer what I can. I'd love to hear fro you EMMS if you're still linked to this

Offline Wild Woman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 01 April 17 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hello :-) My Grandas(still with me) his Grandma was Martha Lowther (Hawker) whos Dad was Charles Robert Lowther and Mum Margaret Lowther they had other children Ellen,Jane,Wilfred and Ann. Me and my Granda would love to have any info you have about them passed on. We have struggled to find places of birth etc or any record of the family with them being travellers. My Granda idolised Martha and said she was a lovely woman(she sold fish) She married Tom Crickerd. Im excited to hear from you :-) Any stories,books to read etc would be grand. I know that the families base was at Potters Lonning,Workington.

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 01 April 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
I'd be happy to try to help you
PM me your e-mail address and we can correspond there

Offline Susan Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 30 June 19 21:11 BST (UK) »
I too am related to Shufflebottoms and find a striking resemblance between this man, my cousin and his son

Susan

Offline cbcarolyn

• RootsChat Member
  • Carolyn
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 01 July 19 10:00 BST (UK) »
I have just read through this very old thread not seen it before I don't think, and has answered some of the questions that I had been pondering on.

My Husbands family had this occupation, seemingly in the North East, and the travelling across the country to Wales, where is ancestor had a shop as a china and glass dealer.  surnames are no match to any mentioned on here

Proctor, Worth and Bostock.

The odd thing about the family name they seem to have used both surnames of the parents worth and proctor and made researching a bit confusing.
Lugg/Freeman/Caddy- Cornwall
Dayman/Hobbs - Devon
Brett/Clark/Hicks - Middx/Essex/London
Miles - Northampton
Woodruff/Proctor/Worth - Midlands/NE/Wales

http://www.familytree.chatandthat.co.uk/

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 01 July 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
Travelling families were very suspicious of anyone in authority, due to historical persecution.
They disliked any kind of form filling eg. census and often deliberately gave the wrong name.
My 4G Grandmothers 2nd husband went under Dewsnap, Dewsnip, Dowsnop, Dowsnip, Snapdew, Tuesnap and Parsnip, and that's the ones I know of.
My 5G Grandmother had 14 alias's that I know of.