Author Topic: Silver Springs, Delgany  (Read 22645 times)

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Silver Springs, Delgany
« on: Monday 23 June 08 20:50 BST (UK) »

I have been told that one of my ancestors lived at, or perhaps purchased, a place called Silver Springs, Delgany, Co. Wicklow in the early 1940s.  This could have been a hotel, pub, guest house or residential house.  I believe it was in a wooded/forest area.    Does anyone know if a building of that name existed and if so, is it still there and where is it in Delgany?  I hope to visit the area some time just to see where the building would have been

Thank you
Carol, Manchester Uk

Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Silver Springs, Delgany
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 June 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol,

Here's a map showing Delgany. www.irishtourist.com/wicklow/towns/delgany It's located between Glen of the Downs and Greystones. The former place was a wooded area but a number of the trees were cut down eight or nine years ago despite protests by active conservationists. www.urban75.org/archive/news096.html

Christopher

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 09:35 BST (UK) »

Hello Christopher, many thanks for your reply to my query about Delgany; also the helpful map site.  It's likely that the building called Silver Springs has been demolished by now.   Regards,  Carol

Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol,

You should be able to find something about "Silver Springs" as there appears to be a reasonable amount of information about Dalgany ... the Golf Club opened in 1909. www.delganygolfclub.com/club.php?filename=club_history

A Dublin banker, William David La Touche, purchased Ballydonagh Estate at Delgany in the eighteenth century.

Delgany village has a Church of Ireland parish church, a National School and a Catholic Carmelite Convent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delgany

Try the library to see if they can assist you

Wicklow County Council Library Service HQ,
Boghall Road,
Bray,
Co. Wicklow

www.wicklow.ie/LIBRARIES/librariesindex.htm

Christopher

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 08 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher, many thanks for your message of yesterday.  I was interested to learn about Delgany Golf Club as the ancestor I wrote about enjoyed playing golf - he may even have been a member there.  On looking at some family papers, the building called Silver Springs was situated on Downs Hill, which is shown on the map, and used to be owned by the Stoney family who I believe were quite prominent in Co Wicklow in days gone by.  I shall write to the Golf Club and see if they have any information.
Thank you again for all your help
Regards, Carol

Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 June 08 18:43 BST (UK) »

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 June 08 10:06 BST (UK) »

Hello Christopher,
I looked at the Headstones website you mentioned.  At Christ Church, Delgany, there is a headstone referring to two members of the Stoney family which is interesting.  Thanks for all your help with my query which is very much appreciated.
Kind regards, Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline DDHS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 08 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol,

The Silversprings hotel was close to Downs Village, Co. Wicklow. Possibly it was previously called the Downs House and a Colonel Stoney converted it to a hotal called the Silversprings. I will do some more research as it is situated less than a mile from my house. There is a very large estate house currently occupied and there is also a barely identifyable boundary of a ruin in that area. I'm not sure which one is Silversprings. I will see what I can find out and I'll give you the co-ordinates for Google Earth so that you can have a look.
regards, DDHS

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 November 08 11:19 GMT (UK) »

Hello DDHS,
Very many thanks indeed for your reply to my query about Silversprings.  I'm pleased to learn that a building of that name did exist in the Delgany area as I believe my grandfather lived there for a while in the early 1940s.  I look forward to hearing from you again after you have had time to do some research.  Thank you for going to so much trouble.  It will be great to see the exact location on Google Earth.
Kind regards, Carol

Orr, Withers, Allingham