Author Topic: Can anyone pick the uniform? Photo taken 1885 Scotland  (Read 10263 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Can anyone pick the uniform? Photo taken 1885 Scotland
« on: Saturday 28 June 08 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,

I have just been given some lovely photos of my great great grandfather, Robert Rutherford.
Some of the photos show him in uniform, and this one was taken in 1885 in Dundee.

People have suggested that it is perhaps Cavalry or Infantry, but I must admit I have no idea  :-\

Didn't know he had any military history....or if he was in any wars...

It is not the best photo but I thought that someone may be able to pick the uniform and point me in the right direction as I have no idea of the first place to look..

Thanks so much!

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone pick the uniform? Photo taken 1885 Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 08 03:58 BST (UK) »
The helmet badge is Royal Artillery

K

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 June 08 10:26 BST (UK) »
Yep, definitely Royal Artillery.
The gun badge above his chevrons is also a giveaway.
Rank is 3 chevrons, gun badge and crown? (the top one is rather blurred out). This would make him battery sergeant-major I'm thinking.

I'm also thinking he's a territorial/volunteer because of the star on his forearm. I forget the exact significance, but doesn't it denote so many years service?
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 June 08 13:54 BST (UK) »
Ummm this is an interesting one...

An infantry spike on an ORs home service helmet...Would expect a ball top...

Deffo RA plate, and a gun on the arm = RA

A cavalry carbine...(have to dig for which one!) which is some 20yrs prior to the date given...

I would also go for volunteer...Would be nice if the badge on the belt plate was clearer!!

Have you looked at Kew?

If you have any more pics it would be great to compare and contrast...

One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 June 08 14:30 BST (UK) »

A cavalry carbine...(have to dig for which one!) which is some 20yrs prior to the date given...

Enfield  Pattern 1861 Musketoon?

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 June 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
Nice one!  ;)

I'd go with that...and it is labeled in some references as an Artillery carbine....

BTW

I thought you were a RAF guru!!  :o ;D
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 June 08 20:10 BST (UK) »
Cheers

Jack of all trades, master (guru) of none ;D

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 June 08 05:24 BST (UK) »
Wow guys, thanks Kyt, Scrimnet & Neil1821  ;D

That gives me heaps more to go on, so as I read it you all agree he is Royal Artillery, possibly a volunteer and maybe a battery sergeant major??

I have attached some more pics that I have one is a group shot, there were 10 men all up in the picture and my great great grandfather is seated on the right of the group I have zoomed in on, I have also zoomed in on his belt buckle Scrimnet so you can have a look.

Thanks so much!

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 June 08 05:27 BST (UK) »
Here is the belt buckle. My brother had thought Cavalry because of the carbine, so I am glad we weren't completely on the wrong track  ::) So am I correct in saying that the carbine featured in the picture is one used by the Artillery?