Author Topic: Can anyone identify this old Liverpool Pub please?  (Read 43318 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify this old Liverpool Pub please?
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 15:45 GMT (UK) »
The Railway Vaults must have been next to Sandhills Railway Station.

The pub seems to have closed before 1911. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 18:47 GMT (UK) »
The Railway Vaults must have been closed by 1909 as it does not have an entry in the City of Liverpool Licensing Report Book for that year.  [No pictures, just addresses, name, licensee etc.]

[For future queries, there is much more chance of there being a photograph of Tetley/Walker pubs in Liverpool, as they deposited many photos in the city's Archives.  Few other companies did this.]

A

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 18 March 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
What a brilliant thread and stupendous detective work! For a moment I thought this may have been the pub my great grandfather (William Japha) was a licensee at in the 1870's, The Royal Standard. However some of the earlier maps in the thread almost show the street the pub was on (3 & 5 Heyworth street, Everton). I was wondering if there might be the possibility of anyone identifying he spot of the pub (almost now certainly demolished) or ambitiously, a photo/image?
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 18 March 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
The Royal Standard was on the first block of Heyworth Street, between Rupert Lane and Kepler Street. It had disappeared by the time of the 1891 census - all the numbers before 11 disappeared from directories around that time.

If you look at the map in reply#34, it would have been where the church is located at the top of Rupert Lane, to the left of the word "Cine". The church was St Benedict's. (The cinema next to it was the Everton Electric Palace.) 

It looks like the pub and adjacent properties were demolished in the early 1880's to make way for St Benedict's church and associated schools.
 http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Everton/stbenedict/index.html

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 18 March 16 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Shaun, thats the finest piece of information I've had in ten years of fruitless searching for the pub (weird, its quite cathartic knowing it no longer exists) and just being aware of the 'place' is strangely reassuring. (Every place associated with William Japha in Liverpool no longer exists, not even his grave!).

Although there seems to be a pub on the street and vicinity you describe called 'May Duncans', but this looks more recent than 1870's? (sorry, still forlornly hopeful ...)

many thanks Shaun, much appreciated
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 18 March 16 13:11 GMT (UK) »
May Duncans is a little bit further up at 33 Heyworth Street. As far as I recall it's the only building remaining on that side of the street.

It used to be the Thistle: here's an old photo which also shows St Benedict's (now demolished).

http://goo.gl/fO9QgZ

http://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/p/l4-l5.html

Offline Catlovinglady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 21 February 17 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
Was just having a nose around and came upon your question. I decided to look up Liverpool Lost pubs and the first one I came across was this. It seems to be the pub, called Athol Vaults

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 24 July 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone might be able to put a name to the pub in background of the attached photo?

I'm fairly certain that it was taken in Liverpool, possibly 1920's or 30's. The street plate on the side of the pub appears to read '------ Place'.

I myself think it might be within the Everton area of the city, as that's where the line from which the photo came lived.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul

The Debenture Corporation invite applications for £600,000 of share capital and £400,000 of debentures in Threlfalls Brewery Company.
The company has been formed for the purpose of acquiring and working the old-established business of the late Mr. J. M. Threlfall of Liverpool and Salford, and also of purchasing and amalgamating therewith the business of Mr W. A. Matheson, brewer, of Juvenall-street, Liverpool.

The price to be paid for the properties is £943,950 ...

At Liverpool Record Office
Threlfalls Chesters Ltd, brewers, minutes, agenda, attendance books, registers, accounts, ledgers, journals, cash books, salaries and property records
1783 - 1974
Accession 5538 & 5559
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/N13770803

For other Threlfall of Liverpool items (noted online with TNA, Kew)
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=Threlfall%20liverpool&_dss=range&_sd=1850&_ed=1880&_ro=any&_st=adv

In 1891 (inside the newspaper the page has printed 1981)
HORNCASTLE
Treat to Workmen.
Last week Messrs. Threlfall of Liverpool, treated their employees in their malt kilns at Horncastle to an excursion to Liverpool and back.

The newspaper says they started out on Wednesday and returned home by special train on Thursday and were treated in a grand manner and being most hospitably entertained.

Records
The records at Liverpool R O, look to be the Company records, enquire if they have a Property Ledger/s. (The records of some companies, may still contain copy deeds and mortgages of premises they bought and sold).

I know that in the early half of the 20th Century (another Brewery Company) in their Company Records submitted to Companies House a single page Mortgage Certificate (where they took out a Mortgage on a particular pub) and you may well find a Mortgage Certificate with the Pub name and town area / address, in the Company Records they submitted to Companies House.

If searching Company Records submitted to Companies House (after about 1860) you need to check if the parts being kept are at TNA, Kew, or the whole record is still at Companies House.

Some Brewery Companies change their name many times and have subsidiary companies, but if you have the official Company Registration Number and that company is still live, or archived at Companies House, (or pay their search fee to find the original name and Company No.) you can get the accounts, correspondence submitted to Companies House, and very brief Mortgage Certificates.

I have purchased other brewery records on a pack of Fiche for £9.00 per company (100 years plus, of continuous trading is quite a number of fiche for some companies). They were about £20 and on disc, last time.

Regards Mark

Offline Paul Len

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 15 June 23 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Pablo C

I may have some information on the Vallelly family from Co Louth, Ireland.

Paul L.