Author Topic: ARTHUR family Ireland to Scotland  (Read 8432 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
ARTHUR family Ireland to Scotland
« on: Saturday 05 July 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
Just posting this on the off chance that a relative will turn up (wishful thinking I know) or someone might have ideas for online sources to try.

James ARTHUR (c1867-d.bet.1912-1956) married 1891 Ireland to Sarah Elizabeth RAMSEY (1870-1956 in Bishopbriggs but usual residence 181 Kingard? St. Glasgow). In Coleraine, Co. Londonderry, Ireland James Arthur was a grocer but wife's death certificate lists him as 'Licensing Trade Organiser.'
They lived in Coleraine at least until 1907 April 1911 but sometime between then and September 1912 they moved to Glasgow area.
They had at least 12/13 children with 7 dying young- from 1892-1899 Sarah had 6 children who were either stillborn or died within the first year which must have been heart-breaking.
1. Mary Anna ARTHUR (born Oct.1892, died 12 months).
2. stillborn daughter (Apr.1894).
3. stillborn son (May 1895).
4. son (Feb.1896, died 16 hours).
5. son (Aug.1897, died 1 week).
6. stillborn daughter (July 1899).
7. Samuel ARTHUR (1898), commercial traveller, lived Glasgow?.
8. Robert Ramsey ARTHUR (1900-1974 Glasgow).
9. Albert Edward ARTHUR (1902-1962 East Kilbride).
10. James ARTHUR (July 1904, died 4 months).
11. Marie Louise "May" ARTHUR (1906).
12. James ARTHUR (Sept.1907-1997 Livingston, West Lothian). 1956 James living at 134 Meadowpark St. Glasgow.
13. Sarah Elizabeth ARTHUR (1909-1985 Bishopbriggs, East Dunbartonshire)- married to ___ Greig + ___ Stirling?.

Corrections in red.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McLennan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ARTHUR family Ireland to Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Whoever posted this i cant believe it.
This is my whole family and they were my Grandparents , Uncles , Auntys ,Mother , i have all the history , the Adress was in fact 181 Kingarth Street , Govanhill , Glasgow , my mother `May Arther `( Marie Louise ) married
my dad Charlie McLennan and moved to HongKong in 1947 where they remained till 1966 , and my mother died in 1968 in Dundee , after they retired, i remember all this family, i feel whoever did this must be a relative or a Arther,
I live in Auckland New Zealand , please contact me personal details removed in accordance with Rootschat Policy - please use the secure peronsal message system to exchange personal details - thankyou Appreciate response its important.
Regards

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Just a note on one of the names here on this family list :-

James Arthur (sept. 1907-1997 Livingston West Lothian)

I live in this town and am friendly with an Arthur, whose family originated in Ireland, I don't know his father's name, but he would be from that generation.

James.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Gordon. What a lovely surprise to see your message tonight.
Yes, there is a connection- you and my mother-in-law would have been 2nd cousins.

You won't be able to use Personal Message (pm) system until you've made a few posts (anti-spam measure).

Email addresses and other personal details about living people shouldn't be posted here but I have your address and will send you an email shortly.

Offline McLennan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Its really a small world out there , usually i dont get into this , so for first try,
totally amazing, and its Arthur not Arther as i put it , i look forward to your email , if you google Kingarth Street in Govanhill , the family home was on a corner of a road to right of picture and was a redsandstone 3 story , tenement,
which now has been totally refurbished on outside.
sorry about communication details, got carried away.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Gordon- have just sent you an email with 2 page attachment, so you can reply to my email address.

Offline jrn_scotland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 11 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my wife and I have only started looking at the family tree and we discovered your posting about James Arthur and his wife Sara Elizabeth Ramsey. My wife is the grandaughter of Samuel Arthur (James Arthur's son). Do you have more information about James and Sara? We have been trying to look at the Aghadowey side but are hitting difficulty with records.

John

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 October 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely surprise to see your message here.

Aunt Sadie used to talk about cousin she called Wee Sammy Arthur who was a commercial traveller and lived in Glasgow but never mentioned that he married.

I have details on the Aghadowey relations (as well as ones in Londonderry and Dundalk) but am still trying to get information on the Ramseys and Arthur in Scotland.

Once you make 3 posts we'll be able to use PM (Personal Message) to exchange email addresses and more recent details).

Offline jrn_scotland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 13:05 GMT (UK) »
This is great news.
Samuel Arthur married Annie Groquette Withnall in Hamilton, Scotland. The Withnall/Groquette side has been researched and placed in Ayrshireroots.com http://www.ayrshireroots.com/Genealogy/Surnames/Withnall/Withnall%20Page%202.htm

You'll find a picture of Samuel and his new wife Annie near the bottom of the webpage.

John and Karen