Author Topic: WILLIAMS - DRUMMOND, Edwinsford, Llandilo, Carmarthenshire  (Read 29133 times)

Offline jimwalkersligo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Pleasanton Highland Games US Open Championships -
    • View Profile
WILLIAMS - DRUMMOND, Edwinsford, Llandilo, Carmarthenshire
« on: Sunday 06 July 08 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hello:                                                                 July 7, 2008

I hope this mail finds you healthy and happy!

Could you please help me?

I am looking for any information, including current addresses or contact information, historical geneology information, for my great uncles etc... and related family. They are known as the Williams - Drummond family please.

Below is some information I have developed off the internet.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,

Jim Walker

1 Sir  James WALKER-DRUMMOND
--------------------------------------------------
Birth:   1814, Edinburgh Parish Edinburgh, Midlothian, 1066691
Death:   1866
Father:   Sir Francis WALKER-DRUMMOND  (1781-1844)
Mother:   Margaret Anne Forbes DRUMMOND (1791-1876)

3rd Baronet

Llether Cadfan estate, 1474-1760, and Court Derllys estate (rentals?)

Name changed to Williams - Drummond  from Walker - Drummond upon this marriage

Walkers in Scotland website
12072 - Francis WALKER, Margaret DRUMMOND, (M) bapt, 31 Aug 1812, James WALKER, Edinburgh Parish Edinburgh, Midlothian, 1066691

Spouse:   Mary Eleanor Hamlyn WILLIAMS
Birth:   1826
Death:   1872

Children:   Sir James Hamlyn Williams (1857-1913)
   Francis Dudley (1863-1935)

1.1 Sir James Hamlyn Williams WILLIAMS-DRUMMOND,
Birth:   1857
Death:   1913

4TH BARONET

Edwinsford, Llandilo: Hawthornden, MidLothian

Spouse:   Madeline Diana Elizabeth AGNEW
Marriage:   30 Jan 1889

Children:   Sir James Hamlyn Williams (1891-1970)
   Madeline Edith
   Constance Gertrude Cecily
   Frances Victoria

1.1.1 Sir James Hamlyn Williams WILLIAMS-DRUMMOND,
Birth:   1891
Death:   1970

Walker - Daniels - Sligo - Richardson - Pennicuick - McLeod - Begbie - Hepburn - Home - Jafray - Walkers of INNERDOVIT - Walkers of St FOORD, FIFE - Walkers of HAWTHORNDEN - Walkers of ATHELSTANEFORD - Walkers of DALRY - Walkers of WHELDRAKE, Yorkshire ENGLAND - WILLIAMS - DRUMMOND, Edwinsford, Llandilo, Carmarthenshire

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAMS - DRUMMOND, Edwinsford, Llandilo, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 08 21:52 BST (UK) »
Are you aware of the Estate Records of the Williamas-Drummond family of Edwinsford Talley held at the National Library at Aberystwyth.

Nigel Williams
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline jimwalkersligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 04:22 BST (UK) »
>>>Are you aware of the Estate Records of the Williamas-Drummond family of Edwinsford Talley held at the National Library at Aberystwyth.
Nigel Williams<<

Hello Mr. Williams:

Thank you kindly for your reply and information.

Until your posting, I was unaware of this most interesting information. The small amount that I have was kindly presented to me by a gentleman in England.

What little I have read on the Williams - Drummond family has been very rewarding. I am open to any and all referrals.

Thank you for your time and energy. I will attempt to locate the library online and obtain information, possibly through the mail.

Kind Regards,

Jim Walker
Walker - Daniels - Sligo - Richardson - Pennicuick - McLeod - Begbie - Hepburn - Home - Jafray - Walkers of INNERDOVIT - Walkers of St FOORD, FIFE - Walkers of HAWTHORNDEN - Walkers of ATHELSTANEFORD - Walkers of DALRY - Walkers of WHELDRAKE, Yorkshire ENGLAND - WILLIAMS - DRUMMOND, Edwinsford, Llandilo, Carmarthenshire

Offline nigelw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 11:45 BST (UK) »
Google "NLW" then click on catalogues, then "catalogued since 1999", then search on "Edwinsford".

The old mansion is a ruin now, but there is a wealth of information on it also pictures of the place.  My ancestors were tenants of the Edwinsford estate and my grandfather and great grandfather worked there as masons.

Nigel.

P.S. If you look up "www.old-maps.co.uk and type in Llansawel you will find the place south of the village.
Interested in Tŷ Mawr, Cellan and Davies family.  I'm related to Joseph Davies and Rachel Davies both buried in the church yard.  Joseph died c 1833 and Rachel in the 1780s

Offline jimwalkersligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 21:58 BST (UK) »
Mr. Williams:

Thank you for your further information. I spent quite some time last night trying every conceivable search to no avail. I will now try your method.

My father and grandfather were ALSO stone masons and I have had the blessing to do several side jobs for friends. My father died when I was 19, but I had the privilidge to work alongside him on many jobs. My father was a true artist, and my grandfather actually lay brick when he was legally blind. I am as yet to own a home and will do work on my own place if that ever happens.

I see also that your residence is listed as Bridgend. My ancestral home in East Linton, Scotland was named Bridgend. It sits adjacent to the Tyne river in East Linton, East Lothian, Scotland.

I am hoping to visit Scotland and Wales in the summer of 2009 as I have been invited to compete at the Scottish Highland games Masters World Championships Heavy Athletics, if I can find a sponsor.

That would be a great time to visit the lands of my great uncles, and maybe find a living relative after 15 years of research.

Thank you again for your time and effort in sharing this research information.

I would send a personal mail, but listing e-mail addresses is not allowed in Europe apparently.

Your kindness is greatly appreciated by my wife and I.

Kind Regards,

Jim R Walker

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hello jimwalkersligo,

I've posted this before but for some reason it can't have reached you.Try typing www.carmarthenshirehistorian.org then type Edwinsford in the search box.You will find a comprehensive article on Edwinsford and the Drummond family.

Regards,brawd houdini
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline Stephee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 November 08 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Bore Da, My Grandfather Idris Davies of Wern-las, Talley new the Edwinsford Mansion well as well as my mother nee Jean Davies. Have you tried the National Archives web site, just type in Edwinsford and it should reveal a wealth of archives. Such a great shame the building was left to become a ruin. Do you know the area? Cheers  :)
Moore, Evans,Repington,Herbert, and Davies

Offline Stephee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 November 08 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again, There are a number of members of the Drummond Family buried in St Michaels, Talley. A truly enchanting and beautiful part of the world including the Abbey, having been brought up in Talley myself. Regards, Stephen Evans.
Moore, Evans,Repington,Herbert, and Davies

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 November 08 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen,

Noswaith Dda,I notice that you are an Evans-any relation to the Pencarreg Evans clan?Or come to that Evans in Llanllwni,Llanybydder,Cwmann or over the border in Cardiganshire?Davies maybe in Cwmann?

You were truly fortunate to have been brought up in Talley-what a setting for a Monastery!If the Monks needed any inspiration it was there by their front door.I agree when you state that it's a shame that Edwinsford has been allowed to fall into rack and ruin but the greater shame to my eyes is that Talley was wrecked during the dissolution of the monastries.What a sight a complete abbey would be.
Very interesting that it belonged to a different order of monks than the Cistercians.

Pob hwyl,Regards,David
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan