Author Topic: WILLIAMS - DRUMMOND, Edwinsford, Llandilo, Carmarthenshire  (Read 29134 times)

Offline Stephee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAMS - DRUMMOND, Edwinsford, Llandilo, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 November 08 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Thanks for that, yes connected with the Evans of Llanybydder. My great grandfather was Evan Evans who married a Annie Herbert. He was a chemist and built the buildings that became the Arcade in Ammanford, and lived at Gwynfryn the former school set up by Watcyn Win. His family were farmers from Llanybydder. My Grandfather on my mothers side, Idris Davies owned along with his brothers the Plas Dinas quarries near Llansawel which I think was part of the Drummond estate. He became High Sheriff of Carmarthenshire in 1962. The GENUKI, Talley site has some interesting information on the area. Regards Stephen
Moore, Evans,Repington,Herbert, and Davies

Offline Stephee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 November 08 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Apologies Davis, But it was Pen y Ddinas Quarries. Regards, Stephen
Moore, Evans,Repington,Herbert, and Davies

Offline StephEv

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 November 08 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All. Sorry for the slight delay, but my Grand Father Idris Davies had to pay a shilling a ton for every stone taken away from the quarry, the quarries were sold in the sixties trading under D Davies & Sons Limited. It was sold onto Bath & Portland. Best Wishes :)
Evans, Davies,Moore, Repingtion, Herbert, Cousins,Williams

Offline CaioResearcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I was passing by and was given a link to your posting.  I don't know if you may have any details within your family search, but I am trying to trace some details on the Drummond family.  I have researched the Williams-Drummond family and know who they are, but this is my position.

My ancestors are from Caio, well Cwrt y Cadno to be more precise.  Anyway, in 1874 my great grandmother, Elizabeth Davies was born to mother Mary Davies, no father.  Like most in those days, living in two up two down or worse and labourers.  However, after her marriage, Elizabeth came into a lot of money.  I have been told that the father was Sir James Drummond or one of the brothers.  I spent some time researching in 2007 and a local lady confirmed that she knew Elizabeth and remembers her coming into money, which in those days, as she said "was thousands of pounds, not hundreds".  She managed to farm at a place called Garth and going through the family research, I'm not sure this would've been possible without some money.  I am also advised by a living cousin that her parents had to seek the permission of the Drummonds in Marble Arch for their marriage, if there is not connection, why did they have to?  Anyway, I haven't managed to get any will or paper work but wondered if there was any family gossip or help you could enlighten me with seeing as you are researching your family, Williams-Drummond.  Thank you

Offline StephEv

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 March 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Caio Researcher You may like to start off with the National Archives of Wales at Aberystwyth, where the Drummond Estate Papers of Edwinsford are kept. You could try the Parish Records which are at the Carmarthen Records Office. Regards, Stephen Evans :)

Offline StephEv

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi All, You maybe interested to learn that the current March/April 2009 edition of the Welsh Magazine, Cambria is carrying a very interesting article called,The Fall of the House of Edwinsford by John Vaughan, who is a Trustee of the Trawsgoed Estate. Very interesting for those with connections to the estate. :)

Offline StephEv

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 April 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi All, Have just discovered this interesting site which certainly has some use useful Drummond information,-Cambrian Index on-line :)

Offline StephEv

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 June 09 18:07 BST (UK) »
Anyone researching the Drummond Family may find this Cymuned Talyllychau, interesting. Cheers :)

Offline StephEv

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 January 10 09:18 GMT (UK) »
An interesting photograph relating to the Drummond family is currently available on the Talley Community Web Site. :)