Author Topic: Raloo Presbyterian Church records  (Read 33407 times)

Offline jpwilliamsp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Raloo Presbyterian Church records
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 03 March 11 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've just started looking at the Moore side of my family and would love to compare notes with some people on this thread.  I've just joined so I can't pm you yet.  I think I have tracked down my GG Gfather's headstone to Raloo.  He was Samuel Moore, shoemaker in Carrickfergus as shown on 1901 Census.

Inscription:  In loving memory of Mary the beloved wife of Samuel Moore, died August 16th 1896, aged 44 years, also Maggie daughter of the above died March 20th 1891, aged 3 months, the above Samuel Moore, died February 12th 1920, aged 68 years, peace perfect peace

In 1911 he was living in Larne with his Brother in Law James Bell in the 1911 Census.  James Bell erected a headstone in Raloo to his children and parents in law James and Jane Moore, although she may have been Annie Jane?

Inscription:  Erected by James Bell, Larne, in memory of his daughter Jane who died 7th March 1888, aged 10 months,  and his son Thomas who died 4th August 1889, aged 2 months, also his mother in law Jane Moore, who died November  1885, aged 54 years, also her husband James Moore who died February 1907, aged 70 years.

Hoping I can get somewhere with this.

I'm patiently waiting until PRONI opens again properly at the end of this month I've been told.

Best regards,
Pauline

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 04 March 11 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes PRONI will be open on the 30th March 2011.

Microfilm records including Church Records are currently available offsite if anyone needs lookups.

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline kelw45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 July 13 15:57 BST (UK) »
You might find some information at www.origins.net. There are many records there for 'James Moore' - this site has a minimal cost and has been invaluable in my research.  Also, Proni now has the Valuation Revision Books online showing all the land records - this one is free.  Also the Ulster Historical Society has all the gravestone inscriptions online at www.ancestryireland.com.  If you become a member, you can see this information for free.  I have found this site very useful as you can contact them with questions as well.  They also have other information online.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 27 July 13 05:08 BST (UK) »
kelw45

Thank you for your suggestions as to on-line sites that I would find helpful.  I will certainly check the sites out.

It is some time since I have worked on the Moore tree. I have managed to find James' will and from the details included was able to follow up on of a couple of James' daughters' branches. Unfortunately the will made no mention of his own siblings.

Kind regards,
KiwiRose.
Ireland:
County Antrim: Carrickfergus District: Irwin, McAllister, McNeil, Moore.
County Clare: Barrett.
USA:
Washington State: Moore, Hoyt, Sinclair, Johnson, Palmateer, Larrabee.
California: De Curtoni.
New Zealand: De Cartoni, Lofquist, Harding.

Offline mwylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
 I first need to find the parents of a James Moore born around 1804. (James is the one family member who got a headstone.) Unfortunately the name is  common in the area.

RALOO: 1769 -1771
Tithe Applotments

Moore,  Joseph & partners
Moore, Alexander
Moore, Andrew
Moore, John
Moore, Nathaniel
Moore, William

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 14 May 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you mwylie for your interest in my thread and for the Moore names in the RALOO: 1769 -1771 Tithe Applotments.

There are some Christian names in the Tithe Applotments list which are probably not likely as the name of the father/grandfather of James Moore born c1804.  William and Alexander are the most probable and would be worth further research. The names Joseph, Andrew and Nathaniel are not repeated at all in families of the known sons/grandsons of James’ (b1804) and his known siblings who were born in the early 1800’s to 1850’s. There is the occasional John but only as a later born son.

Regards
KiwiRose
Ireland:
USA:

Offline mwylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 18 May 15 18:53 BST (UK) »
 My great-great grandparents, John and Martha (Agnew) Girvan were married on 22 Dec 1846 at Raloo Presbyterian Meeting House, Raloo Parish, Antrim County, Ireland.

This would appear to be a record from the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian [aka Unitarian] Church.

There were at least 2 Raloo men named John Girvan/Girvin in the 1820s - one resided at Altilevelly and the other at Ballyryland. Gleno is a village located at junction between Ballyryland and Ballywillin.
Index to Tithe Applotment Books    
County : Antrim   Year : 1830
Parish : Raloo   Townland
Agnew, Edwd. J., Esq.   Bally Riland
Agnew, James   Ballyricard More
Agnew, John   Ballyricard More
Agnew, James   Ballygowan
Agnew, Patrick   Ballygowan
Agnew, Robert   Ballygowan
Agnew, Wm.   Ballygowan
Girvin, David   Antilevelly
Girvin, John   Bally Riland

Offline mwylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 00:28 BST (UK) »

Index to Tithe Applotment Books    
County : Antrim   Year : 1830
Parish : Raloo   Townland
Moor, Wm.          Antilevelly
Moor, John          Ballyricard Beg
Moor, John          Ballygowan
Moor, Thos.   Ballygowan
Moor, Wm.           Ballygowan
Moor, Nath.   Ballygowan
Moor, John           Ballyvallagh
Moor, David   Tereagh [Toreagh]
Moor, Eliza Jane   Tereagh
Moor, John         Tereagh
Moor, Mary            Tereagh
Moor, Thos.    Tereagh

Offline KiwiRose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 21 June 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you mwylie for all the Tithe Applotment records. I really appreciate receiving the information.

It sparked my interest to search in townlands other than Raloo. Eventually I found a free website (see below) where I could broaden the search and was excited to find Moore's mentioned in the townland of Isle of Glass.  There was an Alexander Moore and a William Moore both Year 1816 in Isle of Glass.  These two are highly likely to be probable family connections. The location and Christian names fit in well with my research.

I am not sure as to what the Year 1816 refers to. Is it the year a land lease was taken up or just that the family was residing in the townland in 1816?

The website I found may be of help to others searching for Tithe Applotment Books. 

irishgenealogyhub.com

Regards

KiwiRose.
Ireland:
USA: