Author Topic: 1891 census - Cumming Glasgow area COMPLETED  (Read 6340 times)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census - Cumming Glasgow area COMPLETED
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 28 August 16 00:04 BST (UK) »
No there is no typo.  John Cuthell died in London in 1828.  He had no children.  He left his estate to his wife and nephew Andrew Cuthell who had worked with him in his business.

This is a portion of the will of his widow Ann
 I  this day March 20th 1843 having heard that some doubts exist as to the wording of my late husband's will whether one third of his property at my decease devolve and be the property of the heirs and executors of my late husband's nephew the late Andrew Cuthell in which case as Mr. Cuthell's widow a portion appertains to myself should that be so then I give and bequeath all the sums or property so accruing to me at my decease to my late husband's great nephew Andrew Cuthell who lives with Mr. Cubitt at Clapham as a great deal of his time has been paid to the arranging my late husband's affairs since my husband's decease without any compensation being paid to him for so doing and in case any doubts arise at my decease and to present law proceedings respecting the wording of this will and codicil I nominate my friend Mr. Thomas Cubitt as the sole arbitrator and decider of any questions at issue or of any difficulties or doubts that my arise   
 Ann Cuthell     Turnham Green

Ann Cuthell died in 1847 and it seems that the American branch of the Cuthell family then decided to start court proceedings.  There are a lot of newspaper entries referring to the case and it dragged on for more than 50 years.
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline brucecumming

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census - Cumming Glasgow area COMPLETED
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 August 16 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you and MonicaL for pointing out that James Cumming died 1907. I guess there were two James Cummings with occupation carter.

Carmel, I have sent a PM for the information you have offered. Thank you very much.

Bruce, according to my file, James Cumming, husband of Jean Semple, died at 79 Parliamentary Rd, Glasgow on 6 Nov 1907.

(snip)

I have plenty of information on them if you care to give me an email I will forward some details when I get back home again.  Today leaving town and my good internet so won't be for a week or so.
Cheers, Carmel