Author Topic: COUPER - Master mariners - South Shields  (Read 8106 times)

Offline gumball

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COUPER - Master mariners - South Shields
« on: Friday 01 August 08 06:03 BST (UK) »
John Couper - Master Mariner Second Class Certificate No: 1375 and his cousin, Alfred Cannute Swinfen Couper - Master Mariner Second Class Certificate No: 1475 both issued with their Certificates in 1849.
Where can I get more information about these two mariners? e.g. details of ship and in John's case details of his death (1860).
Thank you,
Gumball
 ??? ???

Offline gumball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: COUPER - Master mariners - South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 September 08 05:39 BST (UK) »
Found details of Master Mariner, John Couper, drowned at sea when aboard the "Tiberias" on 3rd October, 1860 in Merchant Navy Book at Guildhall Library, London.
Thanks to all who helped me.
Gumball

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 08 09:20 BST (UK) »
Gumball,

The book "Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ships, 1820-1920" by Richard Keys, is a complete A-Z of Ships, Master Mariners and Owners, detailing ships, voyages, disasters and share-ownerships, and much more.

This book is available in Newcastle City Library ( Local History section) and Tyne & Wear Archives, and elsewhere ?

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline gumball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 September 08 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Michael,
As I live in Australia a trip to the Newcastle Libary is not possible. Husband "allergic" to my overseas trips now that we have retired. But, there have been some very kind people who have looked up items for me.  We have found over time gt, gt, gt grandfather actually owned or part owner ten ships and at least five members of the family were Captains of his ships.  The "Tiberias" is not one of his, owned by W. Tomlin.  That completes my search for John Couper. 

By 1880's both his mother and father deceased young John Robert Fornear Couper board a ship and headed for Australia.  I don't think he thought at that stage he would stay here but he met a young lady in Newcastle N.S.W. who would not return with him so he jumped ship and started the family here.   I have found several ships he worked on here but so far haven't found the ship he originally arrived aboard.  After he married in 1886 he left the sea life behind and became a grocer and carpenter.

Today there are over 200 Couper's living in the Newcastle area all descendents of this one man.   I guess there could be even more Couper's in Newcastle England that belong to his family. Gumball

Offline gumball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 September 08 04:42 BST (UK) »
Michael,
I have contacted our New South Wales State Library and they do not have a copy and they then searched all libraries in Australia and no-one has a copy here....
Thanks for everyones help.
Gumball

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 September 08 08:58 BST (UK) »
Gumball,

I will look-up your Coupers when I return to Newcastle in 8 days time. I am in bonnie Dundee in Scotland at the mo.

Memory is not my strong point but I think I have in the past looked up voyage etc details for these Coupers ?  Maybe for someone else ?

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline gumball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 September 08 21:46 BST (UK) »
Michael,
Lovely place Scotland, my husband is from Aberdeen and still has family there so we did make a trip back in 1999. Loved every minute, although I fear it would be too cold for me in winter.

I have a list of ten ships owned/part owned by Robert Couper, but his son, John was not on one of these ships were he drowned.  "Tiberias" was owned by W. Tomlin, built 1849 Sunderland.  I have now received paper cuttings of reports of gale winds, hurricanes in October 1860, which were very good reading and many ships were lost at that time.
Also found a site giving descriptions of sailing ships e.g. Snow or Brig. which was also very interesting.

I don't think I can take this topic much further so I think I'll sign off.
I appreciate all the help in finding my ancestor,
Gumball

Offline Heinz 57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 12:35 BST (UK) »
Couper is a very common surname in South Shields. Did they live in South Shields and us ethe local churches? If so I would be happy to look up any parish records for you if that's of any use.

I have lots of ancestors in South Shields and I'm at the archives on a regular basis, it would be no trouble at all.

Best wishes
Lynn
Bridgett - Tyne and Wear,Derbyshire.
Crawford - Co. Durham, Ireland,
Laycock - West Yorkshire, Co. Durham
Frazer - Co. Durham
McCutcheon,Broadfoot, Lemond - Wigtownshire
White - Co. Down

Offline gumball

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Lyn,
Yes all the Coupers lived  in South Shields and most of them were Mariners.
Thank you for your kind offer to look in the archives for my ancesors.  I do have a couple of outstanding questions I would like to resolve.

William Couper born 1828 died 1869 - Dealer in Bonded Stores, Winchester Street, South Shields.
Did he marry and have a family?

Robert Couper born 1786 Lanchester married Ann Kirk born 1788 Haltwhistle married Christ Church, Tynemouth, 24/01/1810..........eleven children all christened at St. Hildas South Shields.
Robert died about 1870 but haven't been able to find where or Ann's death details.

Elizabeth Couper born 1816 ... no other details.
Ann Couper born 1822 ... no other details.
Both daughters of Robert and Ann Couper.

Also looking for death details of George Humble born  about 1806 Blythe, Engineer, and his wife,  married 10/02/1828 Christ Church, Tynemouth, Elizabeth Fornear.
On virtual cemeteries there is a headstone for John Fornear, Elizabeth's father who died in 1827, and I think there are other family members buried there but it is very hard to read.   Tynemouth Priory.

From  what details I have they seem to have married in Christ Church, Tynemouth but also went to St. Hildas South Shields.

Any information will be appreciated.  Thank You for your assistance.
Gumball :D :D