Author Topic: Marriage for Thomas Russell around 1820  (Read 2480 times)

Offline fairyfeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage for Thomas Russell around 1820
« on: Saturday 02 August 08 06:08 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the marriage of Thomas Russell to an Eleanor?? around about 1818/1820 in the Berwick/Tweedmouth/NOrham area.
On the census returns their first child Isabella is born around 1820.  Have looked at Norham and Tweedmouth Bishop Transcripts with no luck - that I can see.   Eleanor says she is born at Horncliff, and they are both buried at Norham in family plot.
Possibly Presbyterian and maybe cross-border?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Marion

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage for Thomas Russell around 1820
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 August 08 17:14 BST (UK) »
Nothing for a Thomas Russell with an Eleanor in the C of E marriages 1812-1837 for Northumberland.  So maybe across the border.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaraNE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 15:20 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the marriage of Thomas Russell to an Eleanor?? around about 1818/1820 in the Berwick/Tweedmouth/NOrham area.
On the census returns their first child Isabella is born around 1820.  Have looked at Norham and Tweedmouth Bishop Transcripts with no luck - that I can see.   Eleanor says she is born at Horncliff, and they are both buried at Norham in family plot.
Possibly Presbyterian and maybe cross-border?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Marion

It is some while since you posted this. Did you find what you wanted? I see you are still registered. If so, I am a descendant of Thomas and Eleanor. How far did you get in your search?

C

Offline Marion Gray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Cara

Thanks for getting in touch - I am not much further forward on the Russells.  Although Thomas and Eleanor are buried at Norham I think they could have been married with an Irregular Border Marriage.  Their daughter Sarah (my 3 x gt grandmother) and George Tindle were married at Mordington Toll 3 Novemb er 1849 and then put  an advert in the Berwick Advertiser.  All the Tindle's that I can find were baptised in the Presbyterian Church.  I cannot find a marriage for GEorge's father William Tindle at all.  George & Sarah moved to South Shields around 1850/51. 

I have not done much research lately - Which child are you descended from?  I have always been intrigued by Thomas and Eleanor's grandaughter Eleanor who on the 1861 census says born  America, British Subject, then on 1891 & 1901 states born Caracas, Venezuala?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Offline CaraNE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Cara

Thanks for getting in touch - I am not much further forward on the Russells.  Although Thomas and Eleanor are buried at Norham I think they could have been married with an Irregular Border Marriage.  Their daughter Sarah (my 3 x gt grandmother) and George Tindle were married at Mordington Toll 3 Novemb er 1849 and then put  an advert in the Berwick Advertiser.  All the Tindle's that I can find were baptised in the Presbyterian Church.  I cannot find a marriage for GEorge's father William Tindle at all.  George & Sarah moved to South Shields around 1850/51. 

I have not done much research lately - Which child are you descended from?  I have always been intrigued by Thomas and Eleanor's grandaughter Eleanor who on the 1861 census says born  America, British Subject, then on 1891 & 1901 states born Caracas, Venezuala?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Good morning Marion. I am so pleased that I am in touch with you as I believe that we can help each other. Firstly, Thomas and Eleanor's first child is James Russell my 2nd G/Grandfather. He was born to Thomas and Eleanor about 1818 in Horncliffe.

If you have a copy of the 1841 census you will see Thomas and Eleanor Russell with 6 of their children (Isabella, George, Sarah, John, Thomas and Joseph) and the family are in one Unthank abode and James Russell is on the opposite side of the page in another. A few lines below the Tindle family (William and Margaret with children Phillis, George, Thomas and House Servant Margaret Lee). James' future wife Margaret Whiteford (my 2nd G/Grandmother) is in another property.

The 1881 census shows his mother  Eleanor living with my 2nd G/Grandfather just before she dies later that year. I have a Norham buriel record that gives more information, but would need to dig it out.

I have traced this family back to the late 1600s. I have lots of information on Eleanor/Venuzuela and I have actually researched your Sarah a little too. She did end up in South Shields and I live very close to the town. Where are you?

C

Offline Marion Gray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Cara

So interesting that you are near South Shields - I live in NOttingham having moved here from Whitley
Bay over 50 years ago.  Perhaps you could send me a personal email - I forget how to do it on this site and we could discuss things further.  I would love more info on young Eleanor in Venezuela. also who her parents were.  I know George and Sarah died close to each in Shields but have no burial records as yet.  I got as far back as James Russell & Isabella Brown  but that was from the Memorial Inscription at NOrham. Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Marion

Offline CaraNE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Cara

So interesting that you are near South Shields - I live in NOttingham having moved here from Whitley
Bay over 50 years ago.  Perhaps you could send me a personal email - I forget how to do it on this site and we could discuss things further.  I would love more info on young Eleanor in Venezuela. also who her parents were.  I know George and Sarah died close to each in Shields but have no burial records as yet.  I got as far back as James Russell & Isabella Brown  but that was from the Memorial Inscription at NOrham. Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Marion

Well Marion, the available information has moved on somewhat. I now know what happened to most of Thomas and Eleanor's children: James, Isabella, George, Sarah, Thomas and Joseph. However, we are still left with the mystery of John Russell b 1831, whose daughter Eleanor Jane Russell was born in Venezuela. He must have been very young when she was born. If anyone can offer information about the eighth child of Thomas and Eleanor, would like to hear from you. There were family bibles too and Thomas b 1795 had kept one. Again, if anyone knows of the whereabouts of these bibles and/or their contents, please make contact.