Author Topic: George BAYLES/BALES & Alina Philippine Antonia VON POLLNITZ/ VON POELLNITZ  (Read 6909 times)

Offline Amanda134

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me, please?

I am looking for any info on George BAYLES / BALES who married Alina Philippine Antonia VON POLLNITZ/VON POELNITZ.

They married in Cape Town 12 Aug. 1872.
I believe George was born in England 1848 but am not sure where or when he went to SA and why?

Alina's parents were Johan Friedrich and her mother was Anna Philippina ANHUYSER / ANHUIZER.
They married  26/12/1836 Stellenbosch and Anna died 1869.

They had at least one son, Henry who married Anna Geeringh. They married 20/08/1866 Caledon.

They had 3 children:
A son, Henry William Charles born 21/05/1867 Caledon and my great grandmother, Anna Magdelina Bayles born Sept. 1869 Caledon and died 2/4/1942 Cape Town.

She married Albert Harry Day. He was born in Clapham,London 1870. I am not sure why he moved to SA but must have been for work, or to get away from a too many fussy sisters!!!!
Albert was Rec of Revenue for nearly 20 years. He joined the old Cape Treasury and became, in turn Civil Commissioner at the Cape, Deputy Com. of Inland Rev and at Union, Rec of Rev at Cape Town, a postion which he held till his retirement in 1930. He was also one of the official members of the Commission which framed the Valuation Ordinance of 1914. After his retirement he became a financial and income tax consultant, and also contributed many financial articles to the South African press. He relinquished this work only at the beginning of 1960, the year he died aged 90. Part taken from Obit. col. of Cape Times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Amanda
Wright,Child/s, Rixon,Wade,LLoyd,Morse,Thorne - Pembrokeshire,Wales
Dawson,Carter - Bucks , Berkshire & Surrey
Day's of Saffron Walden,Essex & surrey
Day's & Wright's, Eddles, Scott, Bayles Geeringh, De La Rey, Nel, Cloete, Rosseau.... most of the French Hugenot families! of Cape,South Africa

Offline roythorning

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George BAYLES/BALES & Alina Philippine Antonia VON POLLNITZ/ VON POELLNITZ
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 15 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda, I just noticed that you are related to George bales, my wife, who is from cape town, has a great grand father called Henry William Charles Bales, he married Helen Groenewald who was from Caledon. We have been trying to piece together my wife's family tree and it has been a bit difficult to say the least. We know Helen Bales died in 1917, Henry was living then and then nothing. I wondered if you have any more information since your post. I live in England and could try to find things from here if that helps, Looking forward to you reply,   regards,  Roy Thorning

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 17:28 BST (UK) »
I see that the estate papers filed in Cape Town give Helen's names as Helena Catrina.  You can order a copy of her death notice from the archives.  I have been unable to find Henry in the archives under the spelling of Bales.

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/897                                                               
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 1479                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          BALES, HELENA CATRINA. NEE GROENEWALD. ESTATE PAPERS.                 
STARTING  19170000                                                             
ENDING    19170000
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
I found the following on the eggsa site - newspaper extracts from the Cape Times 1882.

Death:

BALES Aline Philippa Anthie (born VON POLLUITZ) (wife of George BALES) - on 8th August 1882
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline roythorning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 15 16:36 BST (UK) »
thanks for that, can you tell me where do you do your research? on line or in archives somewhere. We are very interested in Henry Bales daughter Helen who married Thomas Relling, we would like to find out more about the Rellings but we cannot seem to get anywhere online.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 April 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
I do all my research online.  I will send you a PM now with some of the sites that I use.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 April 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
Could this be your Thomas Relling?

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    PAS                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 2/151                                                                 
SYSTEM    02                                                                   
REFERENCE L18/G/308                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          CAPE TOWN MUNICIPALITY. PENSION ON RETIREMENT, THOMAS WILLIAM         
           CHARLES RELLING.                                                     
STARTING  1925                                                                 
ENDING    1925 

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    3/CT                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 4/1/5/700                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE G31/5                                                                 
DESCRIPTION          PENSION OF TWC RELLING.                                               
STARTING  1925                                                                 
ENDING    1925                                                                 
REMARKS   DEELNR 298. 
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline roythorning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 April 15 19:34 BST (UK) »
yes that's him, his father was Charles Relling and mother Eliza Fox. We were trying to find birth details of TWC Relling, around 1876/79
 another story has it he was adopted by Charles relling??? also wedding details for Charles Relling and Eliza Fox, Do you do research for people, if so we would be happy to employ you for this task,   many thanks  roy

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 April 15 07:53 BST (UK) »
I do this all purely for fun and to keep my brain active :)

I have not managed to find either the birth of TWC or the marriage of Charles and Eliza yet.  However I found the baptisms of two of their children - Charles Henry George (b 17/4/1880) and Freda Catherine (b 20/11/1894).  Charles Fox was the witness to CHG's baptism together with Charles Relling and Eliza, but they could have just been the parents listed there.  Fred's baptism was witnessed by Tho Relling - possibly Charles' dad?

On familysearch there are also the baptisms of the children of TWC and Helen.  Of real interest are the witnesses to the baptism of Helen Katherine Elizabeth (b 19/5/1910) - Susan Antoinette Gertrude Relling and Richard Chas Relling.  Not sure where they fit into your tree.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods