Author Topic: GERMANY: DEGENHARDT from Clausthal, Hanover  (Read 33770 times)

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GERMANY: DEGENHARDT from Clausthal, Hanover
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.  I can also find Minna Caroline Degenhardt born 4/9/1849. Her father was Louis Degenhardt and her mother was Frederika Caroline HAMSTER. I wonder if this was an earlier marriage? Is this Louis one of the boys who came over on the George Washington?  In a list of Germans who resied in Burra in 1851, there are several Degenhardts, including one listd as LOVIS DEGENHARDT.  I do know that a few of the Degenhardts moved to Murtoa so I must get onto VIC BDM
Degenhardt Jarrett Hoare Kemp Coleman West

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just had a look at the Ships List for the George Washington. Listed as a single woman is Fredricke Caroline (Lina) Hamster.  So this may have been an earlier marriage, or did the name somehow morph into Kotte?

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes I see that birth - Bit hard to see HAMPSTER morphing into something like KOTTE though.

It is interesting to note from that passenger list (Looks like only 2 surviving family members)

DEGENHARDT Johann Carl Lugwig aged 24
DEGENHARDT Wilhelm Heinrich Aged 16

HAMSTER Ida from Braunschweig - travelled with the DEGENHARDT family       
HAMSTER Lina from Braunschweig - travelled with the DEGENHARDT family

I do not see any marriages, deaths or births of any children (apart from the one you have noted) for these girls in SA - Is it interesting that I do not see marriages for these boys either. Could the marriages have occurred interstate? (VIC)

The other thing is this entry

DEGENHARDT Lewis 36 status not recorded father Charles DEGENHARDT = DONGHNEZ/GY Honora status not recorded father Hugh DONGHEZ/GY 30 July 1860 Registry Office Adelaide Dist Ade 1 350

Is this another marriage for Louis?

Not seeing any births - He is aged 36 and looking at that passenger list age fits Johann Carl Lugwig. Do we know what happened to him? We do see a lot of Christian Name inconsistencies with our German forbears. Dropping/Adding/Anglicising Christian names. I understand Louis can be a variant for Ludwig. This Lewis lists father as Charles - Carl is generally Anglicised to Charles, so could he be DEGENHARDT Johann Carl Lugwig aged 24. I do note on Honora's death in 1907  relative was Louis DEGENHARDT - deceased husband.

I am not seeing the deaths of the earlier wife/wives in SA either.

We have this extract from the Advertiser 15 May 1895 saying he died at Murtoa Victoria. That cert would be well worth purchasing.

Hopefully someone will check Vic for us.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 03:22 BST (UK) »
You will find numerous mentions of Louis in the online newspapers

I will leave you to have a look about yourself

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

This one refers to him as "The uncle of Gustav DEGENHARDT"

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/29371499?searchTerm=%22louis+degenhardt%22

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 03:45 BST (UK) »
On looking at other articles in the paper, it appears Gustav was a solicitor.

He is listed with a photo in the Cyclopedia of South Australia

Alderman GUSTAV DEGENHARDT of the town council of St. Peters, is a native of this State, having been born at the Burra on September 10, 1850. He is the eldest son of the late August Degenhardt, who came to South Australia in 1846, and became actively identified with mining interests at the Burra and Yorke Peninsula. He died in 1871. The subject of this notice was educated at St. Peter's College, Adelaide, and entered upon a legal career in the office of Belt, Cullen, & Wigley, the well-known solicitors of Adelaide, to which firm he was articled, ultimately being admitted to practise at the Supreme Court of South Australia in 1878. In the following year Mr. Degenhardt commenced the practice of his profession at Orroroo, where, up to 1898, he was prominently identified with everything pertaining to the advancement of the district. He then moved to Petersburg, and during his two years' residence there was a member of the Town Council.

In 1900 he came to Adelaide, and settled down in business at Alfred Chambers, Currie Street. He resides at St. Peters, where he became associated with the public life of the municipality. In 1905 he was returned as alderman of the Town Council. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for many years, joining when a young man in 1872, and is still a member of his mother Lodge, the Duke of Leinster (Irish Constitution). In the early days he was actively connected with the defence force of South Australia, and at present holds the rank of captain on the retired-list.

In 1874 Mr. Degenhardt married Ellen L. C, daughter of the late Mr. John Batten, of Kapunda, and has a family of three sons holding responsible positions in Adelaide and Western Australia, and three daughters.

So this means August and Louis were brothers!  ;D

The further I look the more convinced I become that Louis has to be DEGENHARDT Johann Carl Lugwig aged 24 who arrived on the GEORGE WASHINGTON.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 10:38 BST (UK) »
deaths in Victoria

DEGENHARDT Johann Heinrich Friedrich died aged 72 at Murtoa in 1893
father Carl mother Friedricke LADER  reg no 15490

DEGENHARDT Johann Karl Ludwig died aged 71 in 1895 at Murtoa
father Karl mother Frederica LATHER  reg no 6660

DEGENHARDT Marie Sophie Wina dies aged 67 at Murtoa  in 1898
father  Schwanki Geo Fred Wilhelm
Mother Sophie Friadke SCHULLING
reg no

spelling as shown

Jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 10:43 BST (UK) »
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 10:53 BST (UK) »
WhooHoo Jenn,

That was it - Johann Carl Ludwig is Louis.  ;D

The further I looked the more sure of it I became.

Maria Sophia was his brother Gustav's Wife

Not sure yet which brother Johann Heinrick Friedrick may be.

Can you see any marriages for Johann Carl Ludwig "Louis" to one or two "Lina"s or anything on these Hamster girls?

Offline BarossaPearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, just back from the Library with news. On 1895 Vic BDM death of Louis shows as: Johann Karl Ludwig Degnhardt, age 71. Father's name Karl. Mother's name Frederica Lather.  There is also an 1893 entry for Johann Heinrich Freidrich Degenhardt age 72, Father Carl and mother Freidericke Lader.  I think that we can safely assume that these two are brothers and that Johann Karl Ludwig is the 24 year old aboard the George Washington.  I can find no further refs to Fredricke Hamster.  Hold the bus, you sent me some earlier info on Degenhardt Luis arrived by 1853 residence Kensington.  Have another look at that.  Is Caroline nee Amstor really Fredricke Caroline Hamster? and is Salina, his 2nd wife really the Lina that we have been looking for?  Where did you get that snippet of info and do you have any more info on her?
Interestingly too, there was a Johann Carl Ludwig Degenhardt aged 18, who came out on the Heerjeebhoy Rustomjee Patel, three years ealier in 1846. At a stretch, is it possible that he came out and went back for the rest of the family?