Author Topic: Robothams - Leicester shop??  (Read 12927 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Robothams - Leicester shop??
« on: Sunday 07 September 08 23:03 BST (UK) »
My grandmother worked at Robotham's in Leic before her marraige in 1931.  I think this might have been a department store - can anyone confirm this or tell me otherwise?

And along the same lines, I have two photos, both taken (I believe) in the 1920's. One is of a line of young women standing in a field in their best "flapper outfits"; there's what looks like a small stately home in the background. Handwritten on the back (by my grandmother, RIP) is "Robotham's outing". The second is a professional photo of what looks like a typing pool; several dozen young women are sitting behind their typewriters and smiling for the camera, whilst a few male supervisors are positioned around the edge of the room which is large with a very high ceiling, exposed girders and suspended spotlights. The only ID on the back of this photo is an address stamp - 5, King St, Leic - I think this is probably the photographer's address, the name having disappeared with the torn-off corner.

If anyone knows anything of Robotham's, does this sound as though it was probably the same place (my gran is in this photo too)?

And if anyone had female relatives working there in the 1920's and would like to see either photo, please drop me a line!

muchas gracias :)
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Half Pint

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my wonderful mum and dad here in Leicester
    • View Profile
Re: Robothams - Leicester shop??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 September 08 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Rowbothams was a child's dream.  If I was good whilst shopping with my mum and dad in the 60's I was allowed to go and see the toys when we had finished.  There were rows and rows of dolls house furniture all made of wood not plastic, I still have the dolls house in the loft which was bought for me in 1963 from there.  Christmas was magical.

It was a department store but to be honest I cannot remember any of the other departments.  I think it closed in the 70's.

It was situated at the top of Belvoir Street, near the junction of King Street, and being no 5 you could have walked between the two in seconds.

I'm sorry I don't have more information for you but I hope it helps.

Regards

Half Pint
Beds: Chapman, Norris, Nicholls
Cul:  Bone, Casson, Cuppage, Ellwood, Harrington, Harrison, Huddleston, Mawson, McAvoy, Rooney, Sherwen, Singleton, Stephenson, Taylor, Tunstall, Tyson, Wedgwood, Whitehead, Woodall
Herts:  Chapman, Merridan, Seymour
Ire:  Macken, McAvoy, Rooney
Lancs:  Casson, Dixon, Huddleston, Hunter, Muschamp, Skirrow Stephenson, Tyson
Staffs:  Burslem, Tunstall, Wedgwood
Yorks:  Harrison, Lund, Roberts, Swire

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 September 08 23:36 BST (UK) »
Greeting’s. ……. Annie 65115.

Robothams. 32. ~ 34 Belvoir Street. Perambulator Manufacturer.

On your left hand side walking to wards Welford Place. 
Between Stanford Street & Albion Street.
It was Three story building and double bay windows
The basement down wide wooden stairs lead to the Toys
And doubled up as Father Christmas’s Grotto.

The Photographers on King Street I believe was at No’ 11. King Street
In 1916 is was owned by a Alfred Newton.
I believe it is still in business but under an other name
which eludes me for the moment other than it deals with old film & cameras   

MIKE.     
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline kfall

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 September 13 00:17 BST (UK) »

I remember Robothams very well; I remember almost severing my left hand little finger and after being very brave at Leicester Royal Infirmary having had the tip stitched back on was taken there to choose a toy,  I chose a cuddly dog and cherished it.  I no longer have the dog but still have the scars on my finger!  There was also a dolls hospital there where dollies could be repaired.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 September 13 09:07 BST (UK) »
I have a picture taken at the studio c1900. I also loved Robothams but I won't say how long ago.

David

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

happy 1950's memories of dolls house furniture, I remember buying a pair of ornate baby shoes in 1972 for a friend. they also sold prams and nursery equipment

Offline nickthornber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 March 15 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

Yes, my message on another thread was indeed directed to you and was because i saw your comments about your grandmother and the photos. I would LOVE to see them.

Recently a member of my family, a Robotham, died. I was looking for something on the internet and your information came up quite by chance. I was using an iPad yesterday and couldn't find any way to send you a message within this thread. So sorry for the confusion!

My Grandmother was born Kathleen Swain in 1903. She went to work for Robotham's in the 1920's and had some level of association with the shop right until the 1970s. She will certainly have known your relative who worked and may well have been on the staff outing. The owner was Charles Edwin Upton Robotham. (There are Uptons in the family.....) He had several children, one of who was Alfred John Robotham. He married my grandmother, I think it was 1928. My mother and my aunt were born in the 30s. Grandad left my grandma during the 40s and started a new family, he died in 1963 and it is one of his 'other' family who has just passed away.

I remember the shop myself, as do many Leicester people. The family sold the shop in the 1930s but despite that when I was taken there in the late 60s and early 70s I was very clear that i was 'special'......!

My great grandfather was from a family of canal/railway people. But he joined Singer sewing machines. At some time in the 1890s he must have developed an interest in manufacturing prams. There is a suggestion that some cousins were already doing this. Anyway he started to make and sell them, moved to Belvoir street, opened and grew the shop and sold it just before he died. None of his children would take it on. It was Robotham's Baby Kingdom, not a department store as such, but gradually grew to include baby clothes, toys and, I think, maybe shoes at one point.

Anyway, I really would love to see those photos!

Offline nickthornber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 March 15 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Robotham's Baby Kingdom

If anyone else has, or wants, any information about the shop, please let me know!

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 March 15 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Nick, yhm
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)