Author Topic: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross  (Read 33805 times)

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 16:35 BST (UK) »
Birtle, looks like the oral family history is correct,  Here is some more to occupy your time.
All census data refers to the Nether Alderley Village
1891 Ref: RG12 Piece 2899 Folio 4 Page 1
Welsh Row
Isaac Henshall Retired Blacksmith aged 50 (I think this should be 60 when you see the earlier census data) Single born Nether Alderley
Ellen Henshall Single Head aged 56 (again a little incorrect) both living on own means
1881 Ref: RG11 Piece 3499 Folio 13 Page 20
Brindlow Road
Ellen Henshall 54 Unmarried Head
Isaac 50 unmarried Blacksmith
Annie Hamnet 26 Married niece born Manchester
Charles Hamnet 27 Married nephew  Coachman, born Chorley
Edith E Hamnett single age 2 born Manchester
1871 RG10 Piece 3679 Folio 2 Page 1
Ellen Henshall Head unmarried 38 Blacksmiths daughter
Isaac Henshall Head do 34 Blacksmith
Ann Elizabeth Potts neice unmarried 16 born Manchester
Regards
Kathb
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Baker/Cheshire,Crewe/Somerset
Davies/Calvert/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Yorkshire, Bowes
Fitzsimmons/Cheshire, Birkenhead/Lancashire, Liverpool/Ireland
Lewis/Cheshire,Spurstow, Bunbury, Little Budworth, Helsby/Birkenhead
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Smith/Caithness, Dunnet, Thurso, Castletown
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso
Sadlier Forster/Liverpool/Ireland, Cork

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 20:14 BST (UK) »

Some good stuff there Su and Kathb 8)

What a difference it seems to make if you know what you are talking (writing) about ;D

Unlike ....

DS ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 20:46 BST (UK) »
DS, don't forget all of the little acorns make a great big Oak tree (or family tree). Every little bit of knowledge how little it seems is as you know another pixel in the picture of the family and history.  I am indebted to the vast knowledge of the chatters on this site, who have helped, coached and nurtured my interest in family history.
Happy Hunting
Regards
Kathb
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 September 08 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone (heh, I can hardly keep up with all these so very helpful responses!),
…so there’s mileage in the idea that Nether Alderley – or at least the junction at Welsh Row -is known locally as Broken Cross. That really does give me food for thought. Many thanks.
Even so (ever one to hedge my bets!), I guess there’s still a possibility that the great-aunt was right. Maybe her forebears – from the blacksmithing Henshaw/Henshall family  - did at some point run the smithy at Broken Cross just outside Macclesfield, but they certainly weren’t there at the time of the early censuses (and that’s the period she’d have been harking back to). One possible scenario is that they had the smithy just before 1841 or in between 1841-1851, but were elsewhere at the time of both censuses.
Which brings me to the question, does anyone know when the Broken Cross smithy nr Macclesfield was founded? From what the great-aunt implied, it could have been early in the 19th century, but that’s as far as I can get.
As for the NA smithy, I think the Isaac and Ellen Henshaw in Kathb’s message are the children of Henry Henshall, smith (1786-1818), and the grandchildren of John Henshall, the NA blacksmith (1737-1814) that Su mentions. In turn, John I think was the son of Henry Henshall, yet another NA blacksmith (d.1783). From old Henry’s will (courtesy of the wonderful Cheshire RO), it would seem that he had an ‘old’ and a ‘new’ smithy in NA, both being in ‘Street Lane Ends’, which John and another son Daniel inherited. As the great aunt would have been related – though somewhat distantly – to those Henshalls, you can see why I’m curious about NA perhaps being called Broken Cross.
I hope I’ll be able to return all your kindnesses sometime, but many thanks for reading and responding to my missives in the meantime.
 :)
Birtle

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross AND THERE IS MORE
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 September 08 17:24 BST (UK) »
Birtle, I don't know if you are aware of this given your profile name of Birtle, but---
In the England and Wales Landowners records for 1873 is the following:
Hugh Henshall, Birtle Smithey, Alderley
Extent of Lands 9-13 ARP (from Primary School this I think is Acres, Rods (Roods) and Perches!!!
Gross Estimated Rental £32
There are sites on the internet were you can enter the value in 1873 and it gives you the equivalent today. 
I will see if I can find anything else pertaining to the Broken Cross Area in Macclesfield.
Regards
Kathb
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Alderley and Broken Cross plus Birtles Smithy
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 September 08 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kathb.
I'd clocked the 1873 Landowners list as something worth looking at, given a chance, but hadn't yet got round to it. I believe Hugh H at Birtles smithy was a grandson of the Daniel I mentioned earlier. He's a bit on the periphery of what I'm really looking into, but even so I couldn't help but get a bit engrossed by the whole business of who was blacksmithing where in the Wilmslow, Alderley, Chelford and Macclesfield areas in the 19th cent. Doesn't help though that I don't live anywhere near!
If you can turn up anything about Broken Cross I'll be delighted.
Btw, that's an impressive primary school that you went to - and an equally impressive memory. The most that I can remember from those days is what I've since forgotten.
 :)
Birtles

Offline kathb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 September 08 16:27 BST (UK) »
Birtle, I am still hunting on the Smithey in Broken Cross Macclesfield.  If you are not aware of the following resource it has not long ago loaded the parish registers for Alderley and has many Henshall, births, marriages and deaths.
Just google Cheshire Parish Record Project.
Regards
Kathb
Mackay/Mckay Caithness
Anderson/, Caithness
Dunnet, Caithness
Mowat/ Caithness
Gunn/ Caithness
Rosie/Caithness, Thurso

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 September 08 20:52 BST (UK) »
Kathb, Thanks for that. No, I wasn't aware that Alderley had been loaded. I'd looked earlier in the year and saw it was in the offing, but got the CDs of the Alderley St Mary registers in any case. Money well spent. Quite apart from the enjoyment of working with the original data, I've just looked for one variant on the name Woodall that I came across whilst trawling the CDs and can't find it in the CPRP data. The record in question is the baptism on 1st June 1788 of Mary, dtr of William and Hannah Wyddal (is that a Welsh influence in the spelling?). Elsewhere W and H are called Woodall. If I've followed all the right BMD tracks (please, anyone, let me know if I'm wrong!), then Mary married Thomas Henshaw of Chorley (d.1862). Hugh H, the Birtles blacksmith, was one of their sons.
I'm so hoping that more parishes will appear on CD and CPRP soon. All in all, what fantastic resources Cheshire has.
Kind regards,
Birtle

Offline Colin Henshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 11:24 BST (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of Daniel Henshaw (b1750) and married to Ann Ashton. His grandfather was John Henshaw (b c1670, married to Mary Heald), and keeper to the poor. Died c1755. His son, and Daniel’s father was Henry Henshaw. Daniel and his family were blacksmiths. Daniel’s son Henry moved to Chealde Hulme and ran a smithy there. Henry had quite a large family. His son James continued to run a smithy in Cheadle Hulme, while two of his other children, William, and my gg grandfather, Thomas moved to Heaton Norris in Stockport, where they established the Stockport Lurry Company. They manufactured wheels for commercial vehicles.

Debretts research shows that John’s father was Henry Henshaw, son of William Henshaw, married to Ane Wilson about 1634. However an alternative lineage for John is apparently held in the Cheshire Family History Society records. I would like to believe the Debretts lineage is the correct one. If so they may hail back to Henshaws living at Tydnock Farm, near Marton, Cheshire, in the second half of the 16th Century.

There are several extant lineages apart from mine that hail back to Daniel.

Colin Henshaw, Tabuk.