Author Topic: james beaton Greenock  (Read 5266 times)

Offline moominnana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james beaton Greenock
« on: Saturday 13 September 08 12:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more information about James Beaton born 1895 son of James Beaton and Rose Ann Green.  Also information about whether his parents were ever married.  I know that Rose Ann later married Michael Colquhoun but can find no record of a marriage to James.

James I believe married a Catherine McDonald [nee Gallacher] I am trying to find a connection between Catherine and Margaret Gallacher who was born around 1870 in Greenock

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: james beaton Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 08 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi moominnana & welcome to RootsChat

In 1901 the only James Beaton I see that appears to fit is aged 4 born Greenock, living as nephew to John Gilmour (40) and his wife Annie 34, also born Ireland. Would this be your James?

Which James married Catherine McDonald? Father or son?

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moominnana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 September 08 13:10 BST (UK) »
hi,
it was father married Catherine McDonald, I have the marriage certificate of those two.  I have the 1901 census where James Beaton lives with his mother and stepfather and he is named as James Colquhoun but his birth certificate is James Beaton.  Sorry I was not very clear on my original message. 

I am trying to find any more information about James Beaton [son or father] also about Catherine McDonald [nee Gallacher]

thanks anyway

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 September 08 13:34 BST (UK) »
No worries - nothing like the odd name change to keep us searching  :)  It would seem unlikely that the parents married if they both later married someone else - divorce was somewhat rare, although it did happen.

Does the marriage certificate between James and Catherine McDonald (nee Gallacher) contain the name of her parents? That may give the link to Margaret. Are you thinking they may be sisters? Or am I on the wrong track again?

If Margaret was born c. 1870 in Greenoch, the index will be on the IGI. There are a few around 1870
Margaret 23 Feb 1868  Greenoch parents James  and Mary Keaney
Margaret 21 Jun 1868  Greenock parents James and Elizabeth Wells
Margaret 7 May 1869 Greenock mother Margaret Gallacher
Margaret 23 Dec 1869 Greenock parents Hugh and Isabella Gallacher[sic]
Margaret 30 April 1870 Greenock parents Charles and Mary Ann McDermott

There are also many Catherines around the same time - you could check for the same parents.

Trish

Offline moominnana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 September 08 14:13 BST (UK) »
hi
the Margaret born 1869 - parents Hugh and Isabella Gallacher is the Margaret I have, she is the mother of three children who were living with my great grandparents.
on 1901 census Margaret is married and is a prisoner in Prison Office Greenock, says she is aged 30 and is married, does not say widow, her husband James is nowhere to be found unless he was away in the army or something, I have their marriage certificate.  Margaret had two sisters but none tie in with the children.

Rose Ann Green had a child to James Beaton, I think while he was married to Catherine, that is why I think there may be a family connection, when I first started researching the children I thought they could have been the children of James and Catherine Beaton but after a lot of searching I found the parents of them.

Catherine McDonald married James Beaton in 1884, her mother was Catherine Gallacher, so she would have been born about 1860 give or take a few years.  On James Beatons death certificate it says he was married to a Catherine Gallacher but I think they have made an error.

Just to confuse things I found a death record for a Catherine McDonald in 1889 whos parents were a John Beaton and a Catherine McDonald so don`t know if they are related at all to the others.

sorry if I am repeating things I have said already, it starts to get confusing if I don`t haha.

I have been doing my tree for about three years and am starting to need help now, I also have an English side of the family which can be just as confusing sometimes.
Diana

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 September 08 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Diana

I've been doing my tree for about 5 years now & it seems to get more complicated each year! I have found Scotland easier than England - I think the records are better, but perhaps there were just fewer people!

It's late in my world, so I'll see if there are any connections I can see tomorrow - someone else may have it all sorted before them  :D

Not sure if you know the civil index records for births & marriages in Scotland 1855-1875 are on the IGI so you may find some of your other records there (they are also on SP, of course, but no charge on the IGI and the births give parent names)
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Trish

Offline moominnana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 September 08 14:28 BST (UK) »
thanks for all your help
Diana

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 September 08 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just to let you know that I have a friend who is researching Beatons in Greenock, but she has just left for Tenerife on Holiday.   So if you can wait a couple of weeks I'm sure she will get back to you.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline moominnana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 September 08 19:04 BST (UK) »