Author Topic: Searching McKay/Ferguson/Matheson in North Uist 1830's  (Read 15969 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Searching McKay/Ferguson/Matheson in North Uist 1830's
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 00:33 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandfather was John Matheson born Sept 1839. It is written on his gravestone--"born in North Uist."  We have the information on John and his wife Janet, and we also have the gravestone of John's father Hector Matheson who was also of North Uist.
What we are curious about,  is more information on Hector and also any info on his wife Sarah.  We don't know her surname.  We'd appreciate any info you may have.  Thanks.

I am wondering which of the couple died first......Hector or wife Sarah (which incidently has a variant name of Marion)?

If Hector died 1st, does it not give his wife's maiden name on his death cert. & his father's name?
Similarly, does Sarah/Marion's death cert. not name her father?

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ben Ferguson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Searching McKay/Ferguson/Matheson in North Uist 1830's
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 July 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I came across this entry. I'm a descendant of Alexander Ferguson and I have some info I can add.  Can you email me ben@mattandben.ca  I have photos of graves, a complete tree.

Ben Ferguson
Toronto
via Cape Breton, Via North Uist  :)