Author Topic: Does it still exist? Temple Street,Middlesbrough***completed***  (Read 3473 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does it still exist? Temple Street,Middlesbrough***completed***
« on: Friday 19 September 08 13:09 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advise me where I can get an online map of the above address? I tried to find it on Google Maps but the only address that came up with was Temple Court.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does it still exist? Temple Street,Middlesbrough
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 September 08 17:09 BST (UK) »
What year did you find it in?   I have various old maps of Middlesbrough and could probably find it if you give the census reference so I can see which area it is in.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 September 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
I think the answer is no.  On the 1901 census it is preceded by King Edward's Rd and followed by Eldon St and Clarendon Rd.  The latter does still exist and in 1913 Temple Street and Eldon Rd both ran north from that to meet King Edward's Rd.  The next road along eastwards was Stephenson Street which is still there.  They would have fitted into what looks like an empty space between the B1272 and Clarendon Rd.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=grove+hill+middlesbrough&fb=1&cid=15361899100417878584&li=lmd&z=14&t=m
Middlesbrough did suffer a lot of bomb damage so maybe they went then?
Andrea

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 September 08 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,  :)

Good maps on Durham County Record Office site (GIS), covering a range of dates.

The Linthorpe Road side of Temple Street appears to be there still. Opposite the park area in front of the Clarendon building

The street ran between King Edward's Road and Clarendon Road. but now (as it were) appears to run up to Southfield Lane

Regards George

(Modified message)
Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)
Please feel free to alter any work by me for the benefit of the Poster.

Linklater - Middlesbrough/Orkney/Shetland
Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 September 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help.I was curious to find out about that area, as I found relatives living there in the 1901 census.Do you know if local libraries would have photos of the street? I'm wondering what the houses looked like.
Oh, what doe G.I.S.mean?
flst 
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 September 08 19:10 BST (UK) »
Geographic Information System.

Have a look at: -

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/7820/templestreetgg0.jpg

Definitely the one side still there.  :)

Renamed King Edward Square. -  Live search Maps/aerial/bird's eye view

Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)

Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 September 08 19:48 BST (UK) »
Picture of houses in square -

Google - Win map,( maps.live.com/)

Enter postcode - TS1 3DG

Enjoy  :D

George

Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Does it still exist? Temple Street,Middlesbrough***completed***
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 September 08 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks,I'm away to check it out!
flst

Offline peterbruce01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Does it still exist? Temple Street,Middlesbrough***completed***
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
My grandparents (and mother as a young child) lived at 21 Temple St Middlesbrough. It now belongs to the University and is called King Edward Square.