Author Topic: BRABBING Family Roots from Blythburgh  (Read 7715 times)

Offline sinj11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BRABBING Family Roots from Blythburgh
« on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to research as much as possible my family name of Brabbing. Our recent history centres around Blythburgh and i am also linked to the Block family also from the Blything parish. My grandfather was Cecil Brabbing and i am unable to confirm any relatives as yet. Sorry for the vague detail as i am just undertaking this mammoth task and aim to progress over many a year. I currently live in Worcestershire and will hope to venture over to Suffolk for many a investigation.

Best Regards

Les Brabbing

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Brabbing family roots from Blythburgh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:34 BST (UK) »
Heres his birth details.

Cecil E Brabbing
Sep  qtr.
Mother's Maiden Name: Block 
 Blything 
Vol 4a 
Page: 2142
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:37 BST (UK) »
Possible parents

John Edward Brabbing
Edith Block

Mar  qtr.
Blything 
Vol 4a 
Page: 1137

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 22:44 BST (UK) »
1901 census

John Block - 69 - wid - market gardener(own account) - born Wenhaston
John Brabbings - 28 - son in law - m.g. labourer - born Blyford
Edith Brabbings - 26 - born Blyford

Main Road, Blyford.

RG13; Piece: 1796; Folio: 6; Page: 3.

Offline sinj11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 09:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Sue will be a fantastic start

Offline Wenhaston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BRABBING Family Roots from Blythburgh
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 October 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Les

I have been researching the Brabbing Family for several years.  As you have a 'g' at the end of your name you will have descended from James Brabbin (Brabon, Brabbant) who worked and lived in Middleton cum Fordley, Suffolk, he was born circa 1761 in Suffolk - I think it was in Weybread, but I still need some additional evidence to support that theory - I can find a James Brabon in the PR's for Weybread and further evidence in the Norfolk Archives that he was subject to a Settlement Order at Redenhall, Norfolk in the 1770's.  However I am unable to find any thing that states the one in Middleton was the James born in Weybread.  I do know that the James in Middleton is the first of the Brabbin(g)s that appear in the PR's for Middleton (and the surrounding villages). Unfortunately James died before the 1851 Census, that would have been the only opportunity to confirm where he was born.  In 1801 he, and his family, spent three months in the Workhouse at Bulcamp.  He married Susan Last Partridge and one of their many children was William Brabbing - he is our shared ancestor.  You then descend from William's Son James, b 1831 in Blyford, Suffolk.   The line then goes to David b 1873 in Blyford, Suffolk and he was the Father of Cecil E Brabbing.  The rest you know better than I.

I have considerably more information if required, including my Great Grandmother's photograph album.  There is possibly a photo of James or William in there but I am not able to identify them (yet).

John and Edith are buried in Wenhaston Cemetery and I have a photo of the headstone if required.

If you need more please ask.  My final tip - if you ever come across a Brabbin(g) with the g - you are related to them.  No other branch has adopted that spelling and therefore they all descend from James and in particular - William b 1796 in Middleton cum Fordley.  You will find the majority in Suffolk, Bolton in Lancashire and Staffordshire.

Malcolm
Brabon, Brabben, Brabbin, Brabbing, Farrington, Furrington

Offline sinj11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 October 08 09:15 BST (UK) »
 :)

Malcolm thankyou for all of the details i really appreciate it.
I would love the photos if its not too much trouble, i will put my email below.
I take it your living in Suffolk still ? early next year i will be coming across to show the area off to my family as i haven't visited since 2001.

Once again fantstic detail and it gives me something to get my teeth into.

Les

Offline DKGMO2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi - I see that these messages are rather dated but am interested in getting any information on the Brabbing family.  I am also of the line of James Barbbard/Susan Partridge to William Brabbing/Elizabeth Davy to David Brabbing/Mary Ann Payne to Alice Harriet Brabbing/Jonathan Woodard.  I know David and Mary Ann lived in Blyford.  Alice and Jonathan emigrated to Ontario Canada in 1913 with their daughter Eadar Eliza age 11 who was my Grandmother.  My grandmother had some memories of living in Wenhaston.  I live in Jefferson City, Missouri USA and would be interested in any family stories or history of Blythburg.  The Woodard's were from Kelsale, Suffolk County. 

Let me know if anyone wants to share information.  Thank you

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

You must 'have a look around the parish church of your ancestors' , known as The Cathedral of the Marshes, it is beautiful.  The last time we called in there was a group of musicians setting up for a concert that evening.
  www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/Blythburgh.htm
   http://www.holytrinityblythburgh.org.uk/

Some local history and maps on http://www.blythburgh.net/

The gardens of the ruined Priory have been restored by the present owners and they are opening it for charity - I have the date somewhere at home, but would love to find time to get along and have a look around.

If you go to http://www.wenhaston.net/ you can discover the latest with the Wenhaston Archive.

No doubt your grandmother pronounced it as 'Wenerst'n'   ;D

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?