Author Topic: finn family of longford  (Read 8965 times)

Offline dangers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
finn family of longford
« on: Monday 29 September 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
i am looking for any link for the finn family in longford.my wifes father was michael joseph finn,as was his father.he was born on the 1st august,we think 1926 in longford.we have no other details of family or areas.michael went on to marry ellen sweeney from co mayo,but again we don,t know where,can anyone help please
i am researching my dangerfield roots,that stem from wiltshire to gateshead back to wiltshire then to london

Offline pompeygirl1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: finn family of longford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 09 03:05 BST (UK) »
I am sure there are many Finn,s from Longford but your post leapt out at me.
Back in the 1970's as a teenager I travelled 2 or 3 times to Longford with my best friend and her mother and aunt to go visit their family.
My friends mothers name was Margaret, she had 2 sisters Betty and Esther and a brother Michael Finn married to elizabeth (betty)

The sisters Margaret, Esther and Betty all married and lived in the uk but Michael and his family remained in Longford they would have been born around 1920-30 I guess.
Michael and Betty had many children, the biggest family I had ever come across.
some of their childrens names I remember were; Brigit, Michael, paddy, PJ, David and Esther. David met a tragic end in his mid to late teens in the mid 80s
We used to stay with my friends Grandmother Brigid/t in her tiny, primitive cottage in Kenagh co Longford she was in her 90,s at the time, smoked like a chimney and used to bribe me for cigarettes threatening to unleash the evil leprechaun that lived in the roof on me if I didn,t supply her with 20 Camels a day lol (I was 13/14 and shouldnt have been smoking)

I doubt this info is of much use. your post sent me off on a trip down memory lane.
Good times!

Clark~Callaway~Kimber~Benfield~Wright.
Eacott~Hoare~North~Varney.

Restorers feel the freedom... snip/chop/clip/crop/colour/texture till you're all cloned out :))

Offline dangers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
hello,thank you for your time,my wife eileen,is the daughter of michael and nellie finn,your discription is exactly right,down to the cottage.is your friends mums name margeret,we have waited so long for a reply on this link,thank you so much for your input,do you have any other details,for my wife please
i am researching my dangerfield roots,that stem from wiltshire to gateshead back to wiltshire then to london

Offline pompeygirl1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 22:32 BST (UK) »
Yes her name is Margaret that is her in the pic outside the cottage in Kenagh.
I took the photo way back in the 70's
She was married to Brum whose real name was Brian I think.
They had 3 children, Brian, Michael and Valerie.
Sadly both Margaret and her husband are no longer alive.
One of Margarets sisters, Esther, was married to Tom.
They lived in London, Finsbury I think.
We used to travel by train to Finsbury, stay overnight with Tom and Esther, then Myself, Valerie, Margaret and Esther would get the train to Hollyhead. From there it was the night boat to Dun-laoghaire?
Train to Dublin where Michael Finn would be waiting to transport us to Kenagh.
an epic journey.

The Michael Finn I knew was a well built, sturdy gentleman, with white hair. He was always smartly dressed in a brown suit.
He would hold everyone captive whilst telling one of his stories in little more than a whisper.
we would all sit around in silence waiting for the punchline.
His eldest ? son Michael c 1955 was also a curly haired, rosy cheeked, strapping lad. who liked to recite a rhyme about breaking wind!
He would come to the cottage with his friend Frank Carberry, from new castle or newtown cashell or somewhere similar.  en- route to the pub, just up the road on the other side of the church.

son Davids c1960s-1980s death was linked to the Shannon.
in addition to the children I listed previously I vaguely recall twin girls who were about 7yrs old but dont know their names.
Also a much older (married) daughter Brigit or Brigid.

Brigit/d Finns cottage, as I remember, was next to a church.
The dog in the doorway didn't belong to anyone. It was a stray that wouldn't leave us alone.

Having said all this, I wonder if we have the same Michael Finn as I dont recall a Nellie at all.
Regards
Sandra

Restorers feel the freedom... snip/chop/clip/crop/colour/texture till you're all cloned out :))

Offline dangers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
hello again,we do have the same people,the lady in the picture is my wifes auntie margaret,my wife eileen is telling me to tell you,ester and tom are both dead,as are both of her parents,michael,the son of michael and brigid was her dad,nellie,her mum was ellen winifred,you would not have met her she came from mayo.she remembers visiting portsmouth once,as a child.are you in contact with any of the family still,my wife has memories of toffee apples,thank you for your information,we had neally given up hope.
the story of the shannon is sad but strange,a non drinking non smoking person ends up in the shannon ???????? or was it the easy way to tell children.please keep in touch,by the way it may help others,my wife is the ginger one.
thank you again,
mark

Offline eilis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 09 14:18 BST (UK) »
My maiden namewas Betty Finn from Kenagh Co.Longford.
Eileen's father Michael was my brother.
I am married to Martyn  I have got one son. I live near Bournemouth. The information that Pompey girl gives is correct apart from my brother's name which is James not Michael also my fathers name was Patrick not Michael. Look forward to some more information.
Regards
Eilis

Offline pompeygirl1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 09 19:36 BST (UK) »
Would just like to say Hello to Betty.
I doubt you remember me but I remember meeting you once or twice a long long long time ago. ;D

Dangers, yes I am still in contact with Margarets Daughter.
I spoke to her after your last post here and sent a link so she can see/read for herself.

Of course the brother I am thinking of is Jimmy and not Michael. I am such a muppit, when talking on the phone I realized my mistake before I had even started to explain. sorry for any confusion.

Sandra

Offline dangers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 August 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
i am typing this for my wife eileen,she is very pleased after all this time actually finding family and people that knew her family.we have had such problems in delving into the past,we almost gave up,betty eileen is so pleased to know you are okay and sandra,you have been great.we have been trying to put together some sort of family tree for years,but the finn side has always been the problem,with a lack of information,eileen has very few photos or proof of the finn family,so we have always been stuck,we even looked up the church at kenagh for information but drew a blank,but we were looking for the wrong name.we now live in n ireland but eileen always wanted to go down to longford to look for relatives,but we couldn,t even find any in the phone book,it is so good hearing from you both.betty,could you please give us the full names of your parents,as eileen is confused,you can also contact me at    (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Melfin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am one of Jimmy (James) & Betty Finn's daughters - most of the info you  have is correct -  although not all the names are -  there were 9 of us - you know about David - he was 19 when he drowned and he did drink and smoke like a trooper! - my parents are still living in Longford although the cottage in the picture is still there it is no longer thatched and is not owned by the family...We are fairly scattered - I'm in London - 2 sisters in Birmingham (Mary & Esther), 1 sister(Valerie) in Coventry, one (Liz) married at home,one brother (Paddy) in New York, one (Seamus)married at home and one (PJ)in Cork..there are no twins but I presume Sandra means myself & Val we are the youngest and people  always thought we were twins! they still do...

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Carmel.