Author Topic: Dickinson family Bristol  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Peter111

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dickinson family Bristol
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 October 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Westy

We share a common ancestor Frederick Charles Dickinson (b 1811 Islington). My line is his son William H Dickinson (b 1842)  I have seen your posts regarding his watchmaker business and would be grateful to share any information you may have discovered.

Thanks

Peter

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 October 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Most of the information I have on Frederick Charles Dickinson I have got from The Ancestry Site so I’m not sure if you will know most of what I have if you are a member as well. However, the information I have on him is that he was born 1812 (I have no record of his birth but got the date from the 1841 and 1851 census). He married Mary Ann Jackson on June 15th 1836 in the Parish of Christ Church, Middlesex (Borough: Southwark). He died January 3rd 1859 aged 47 years. I found a Letter of Administration which basically says he was a watch maker late of Sussex-place in the City of Bristol and that his personal estate and effects go to Mary Ann Dickinson of Sussex-Place widow of the deceased. I found a newspaper cutting about a theft from his watch maker premises in London in the year 1838. And also a Post Office London Directory entry in 1841 which lists him as a watchmaker of 1 Up. Ashby St., Northampton Sq. So it seems the family must have moved to Bristol not long after this as they are in Bristol on the 1841 census. We went to Islington and found the address of his shop but it is all new buildings now. We also went to the church in Southwark and got some pictures. I can’t as of yet find his parents but keep trying. Hope this helps.

Any information you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Steve   
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Peter111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 October 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Thanks for contacting me.  I think I must have similar info to what you have.  My Uncle, also called Dickinson is going to try to do some research for me as he lives in the London area so if he comes up with anything I will let you know.  I live in Exeter so rely on Internet searches which are not great!  My Dickinson ancestors grew up in Bristol and eventually moved to Devon.  I am interested to know where Frederick Dickinson did an apprenticeship or was it a family business?  If you are happy t share a personal email address I can forward on anything I come across?

Regards

Peter

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter, this is actually my wife's family line, her mum was Maureen Dickinson and her father Norman Herbert Dickinson was born in Bristol but moved to the south coast near Bournemouth where we live now. My email is stejac1960@gmail.com. I am happy to share any information and i will email back anything we have of interest.

Many thanks, Steve
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Peter111

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 October 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply and email address, if anything new appears I will forward on to you.  The Dickinson surname is my mothers maiden name.  My email address is brman@btinternet.com

Many thanks

Peter Shepherd