Author Topic: Meshach Williams / Margaret Hussey Burgh  (Read 42852 times)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Meshach Williams / Margaret Hussey Burgh
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 03:08 BST (UK) »

... Yes, Rol - it should say "born" - not "more" ...

Oh good -- thanks for that confirmation,  Cajondy.  Wasn't in much doubt;  but it's all too easy to over-assume in this game,  then start building castles on sand!

I may pop in to the records office (I'm guessing there's one nearby to Pentrevoilas??) on my way back down to the south on Thursday ...
'Fraid they're all a fair way off.  The best one for "proper" Denbighshire is in the Old Gaol at Ruthin.  Conwy County Borough is the unitary local authority actually responsible for Pentrefoelas these days,  and their newish but growing RO is at Llandudno.  If you want to pursue the H de Bs around Caernarfon,  that former county still has its own RO in the town,  under the auspices of Gwynedd County Council (which also runs an RO at Dolgellau for records relating to old Merionethshire).  All of which info is subject to the caveat that I may be out of date if there have been any very recent reorganisations -- easily checkable online.  Then there is the archival goldmine at Aberystwyth . . .

As the sources available online clearly show,  these Husseys and (de) Burghs ... had no handles to their names,  let alone being "counts".  They could in no sense have been Russian refugees in Dublin,  reduced to being ostlers ...
That said,  there is still some harmless light entertainment to be had googling "Count de Burgh".  It seems that there actually was a post-medieval user of the name -- "a tradesman ... who had bought a papal title" and was one of a choice band of Yorkshire eccentrics catalogued by Osbert Sitwell in his wartime autobiography!  (See Google Books.)

There was also an American organisation founded in 1908 that styled itself "The Grand Priory of America of the Sovereign Order of St.John of Jerusalem".  According to an article published on the web by James J. Algrant in 1995,  back in 1908 this body claimed that its founding adherents included
a number of Russian émigrés residing in New York ... The promoter was William Lamb who pretended to be of Russian origin and a "general" ...
Its "Grand master" from 1966 was apparently one
Crolian William Edelen, who styled himself "Count de Burgh, descendant of Frankish kings of Jerusalem, of the emperors of Byzantium, of Charlemagne, etc.etc." an officer of various independent "orders of chivalry". He ... passed on in the early 1990s.
Not much worth pursuing there,  I think . . .

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 03:19 BST (UK) »

Now,  here is some extra contextual stuff about Cernioge -- set out mostly for fun and "background in depth" (now that the place has been mentioned),  rather than for its vital direct relevance to poor Margaret!  Please skim and forgive,  if not interested . . .

Long before Cernioge became an inn it was part of the Hiraethog grant given by the Welsh princes for use as an upland grange by Aberconway Abbey.  The local grandees were the descendants of Marchweithian,  who dominated the nearby township of Prys -- and members of that clan tended to monopolise the Hiraethog leases subsequently granted out by the abbots.  Because of their monastic ownership,  the principal townships within Hiraethog came to be known as Tir yr Abad Ucha and Tir yr Abad Isa ("Upper and Lower Abbotsland").  The upper or eastern part was eventually allocated to the parish of Cerrigydrudion.  The lower or western part (into which Cernioge just fell) was attached to the distant church at Llanefydd.  Because crossing the moors to that church was so inconvenient,  the inhabitants of Tir yr Abad Isa tended to use Ysbyty Ifan's church (originally established -- as its Welsh name indicates -- by the real and original Order of the Knights Hospitaller of St John of Jerusalem),  or Cerrigydrudion's,  if their houses were nearer there.  Only in the 18th c. was a chapel-of-ease of their own built for the inhabitants to use,  known as Capel Voelas -- and this was eventually detached formally from the parish of Llanefydd and made into a parish in its own right,  named Pentrefoelas.

In 1485 the leader of the Marchweithian tribe in Prys was Rhys Fawr of Plas Iolyn.  He came out for Henry Tudor and brought his clansmen to Bosworth in force.  Tradition has it that his men were close by the future king at the crisis of the battle and Rhys had to take over Henry's personal standard when its bearer was killed.  He was also one of the several who were later claimed to have inflicted the death blow on Richard III -- in reality probably quite a multi-party endeavour.  Anyway,  the Tudors were certainly grateful,  and when Aberconway Abbey was subsequently dissolved at the Reformation,  the Plas Iolyn family's leases in Hiraethog were advantageously converted into longer terms of years at low rents,  and eventually into freeholds.  One of Rhys's descendants whose family took the surname Gethin went on to make his home at Cernioge and built quite a substantial house there.  It was only many years after his line ended in heiresses that the building's career as a posting inn began.

W. Bezant Lowe,  The Heart of Northern Wales, vol. II (Llanfairfechan, 1927),  contains write-ups on a number of old houses in the area and devotes pp. 484-87  to Cernioge Mawr (Cerniogau) -- including a photograph.  His account shows that the surviving parts of the Gethins' house were still plain to see before WW 1:
The present house was built out of the remains of a much older building situated to the east-south-east,  portions of the old walls still remaining.  The cellars are still in existence under the adjacent orchard to the east-south-east,  but have been bricked up. ... To the west of the present house is a very extensive long line of buildings,  65 yds. in length ...

Of later times,  near the date of Margaret's presumed presence,  Bezant Lowe writes:
The ancient hostelry of Cerniogau Mawr ... is now a farm-house,  [but] ... in former times it was the halting place of the coaches on their way from Shrewsbury to Holyhead;  there was stabling for 69 horses.
He goes on to relate an unsourced anecdote about the 1st Duke of Wellington making a wager that the improved inland route to Holyhead was quicker than the journey via the coast road,  and then winning the race to Holyhead that resulted:  "It is said that he found the best teams [of post horses] at Cerniogau".  Further on,  the book refers to the future Queen Victoria's Welsh travels with her mother in 1832,  and describes the following record at Cernioge of their stop there:
In the sitting-room,  over the fire-place,  is a brass tablet with the inscription:--
Queen Victoria had tea in this room on her journey from Wynnstay to Beaumaris in the summer of 1832.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 September 10 04:57 BST (UK) »

Part  1

A week or so ago I found myself with more time available,  so thought that I would just round off the Cernioge background stuff by posting up what I knew about the place's owners and tenants -- my idea being that this material might come in useful if Margaret Hussey Burgh (MHB) turned out to have close ancestral connections with the inn through her mother;  and even if she did not,  it could at least be helpful for some future researcher to have a little cache of data about the subject available online (given that Google was not previously serving up much).

But my curiosity then drew me back to the core of the MHB mystery -- so I deferred posting and decided to dig a bit further,  this time focusing more on trying to identify her mother.  Then,  each time I finished drafting an additional post,  I found myself thinking "hold on,  I might just be able to push this on some more"!  That process repeated itself  in the course of several evenings bashing the keyboard,  with the result that I have now accumulated unsent text for quite a few separate messages.

The final stage yielded what I hope MHB-chasers will agree is a good breakthrough.  But I decided not to junk the intervening draft messages,  because they do work as a research narrative -- and they have bits and pieces of info in them that could prove useful to future investigators in expanding the envelope of knowledge in new directions.

See what you think.  As the story-books say, "Now read on . . . "!

Rol

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 September 10 05:03 BST (UK) »

Part  2

Some supplementary information about Cernioge Mawr's owners and tenants;  then back to MHB herself.

CERNIOGE:  OWNERS

Robert Gethin,  the last of the family to make Cernioge his main home,  died in 1664.  His younger brother and heir Maurice,  a London merchant,  barely survived him by a decade:  his will was proved at the PCC in 1673.  Maurice's eldest daughter and heiress,  Rebecca,  had married another London merchant named Richard Kenrick,  whose family had been based in Shropshire for many generations.  (Confusingly,  the bride's widowed father and the groom's widowed mother also married each other.)  Richard himself was dead by 1693 and the property then descended to their son Andrew,  who was at that time a barrister in the Middle Temple but later appears to have moved to Chester and built a practice there.

In the 18th c. the Kenricks continued to prosper in the marriage market:  Andrew's son Andrew jnr. married the heiress of the Thelwalls of Nantclwyd (a little south of Ruthin -- settlement dated 1722).  Their son Richard (1724/5-1802) [per Llanelidan MI] was the father of another Richard (Richard Henry or Harry),  who in 1796 married one of the co-heiresses of the Kyffins of Maenan in the Conway valley [see St. A. marr. bond].  (In later secondary sources he is sometimes called Richard Hughes Kenrick,  though I have seen no contemporary references to support such a variation.)

Then,  as the 19th c. arrived,  the Kenricks seem to have decided to raise cash and concentrate their resources in Shropshire and elsewhere.  In the first decade of the new century Richard Henry heavily mortgaged his Cernioge property to a Uttoxeter attorney called James Blair -- and by 1822 (probably in economic terms as early as 1816) Blair had fully bought him out.  (Richard Henry Kenrick died in 1825 [Llanelidan MI],  and by the 1840s his successors had also sold Nantclwyd -- to the Leylands,  the family who still own it.)

The new owner of the Cernioge estate never put down deep roots.  He may have been primarily interested in the shooting and in potential mineral claims.  He rapidly entangled himself in complicated lawsuits to challenge the manorial rights exercised by the Wynnes of Voelas over the Hiraethog moors.  By the early 1840s he had decided to sell again,  and everything was put up for auction on 25 Aug. 1842 -- i.e. very close to the time of Margaret Hussey Burgh's birth.   Ironically,  the subsequent buyers were the very Wynnes with whom Blair had struggled so lengthily through the courts.  (I should add that this auction date is specified in the Voelas estate's papers about the transaction [NLW: vol.2, GB/146],  but I have failed to find matching sale notices via the online databases for either the Times or the N. Wales newspapers.)  Whatever the usual conveyancing delays,  the Voelas estate seems to have acquired beneficial ownership by 28 February 1843,  when it sought a new tenant for "Cernioge Mawr farm" through an advertisement in the North Wales Chronicle.

Details about all the foregoing are mainly to be found in the NLW's online schedules of the Cernioge Estate records and of the Voelas papers vol. 2,  currently accessible via the library's ISYS Search screen -- though N.B. that the data are "soon" due to be moved to their Main Catalogue system.  (Lloyd's HPF vol. iii and Griffith's PACF p.300 contain Kenrick errors that can be rectified from the IGI [see esp. the entries for Wolverley in Worcs.],  the NLW's Cernioge papers and the MIs at Llanelidan [for which see D R Thomas's HDSA ii p.94] .)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 September 10 05:09 BST (UK) »

Part  3

CERNIOGE:  INNKEEPERS

First sign I have yet spotted of Cernioge Mawr being used as an inn:  18 Nov. 1781,  when a nine year lease of the place was granted by the Kenricks to John Edwards of Llangollen and Roger Rous of Conway, both innkeepers.  (Not clear whether they were active business partners or one was simply acting as a rent surety for the other.)  Rent:  £180 p.a.  (NLW Cernioge 15).

On 30 May 1811 Richard Harry Kenrick granted a 17 year lease of "the capital inn messuage and lands called Cernioge Mawr" to Job Weaver,  innkeeper (who was already in occupation there).  Traffic on the Holyhead Road had evidently grown a good deal since 1781,  because the rent had risen substantially -- to £300 p.a. (NLW Cernioge 28).  The name Weaver may strike a chord with anyone who has had a good look at the censuses;  and he will be of increasing interest in this thread.

He is briefly mentioned as the landlord in a traveller's journal of 1816,  available on the web via Jstor -- the Diary of Marianne Fortescue,  who stayed there on the night of 17-18 January 1816:
Cernioge, Saturday, 17, J. Weaver Inn Keeper.  ... we dined [on] chops -- 'tis now nine oclock -- the girls are both gone to bed -- being sleepy ... I have just finish'd three letters ... -- this is a very good inn.
(from Jnl. Co. Louth Arch. & Hist. Soc. vol.24, No. 4 (2000) pp.478-79.)

If anyone has an opportunity to look through the NLW's desk list of 18th and 19th c. journals of tours in Wales,  and check them for references to Cernioge,  there would no doubt be several more such mentions to be discovered.

When James Blair bought Cernioge,  a rent dispute occurred -- though it seems to have mainly involved alleged misconduct by Thomas Jones of Llainwen in Llanfair DC,  the land agent:  NLW MS. 10071D.  (Jones's family origins,  by the way,  are discussed in Jnl. Hist. Soc. Meth. Ch. in Wales, vol. 1 (1946), pp.17-24,  by Rolant Hughes -- who was of the view that Thomas was the elder brother of Edward Jones of Bathafarn,  the pioneer of Wesleyanism in N. Wales,  from the name of whose home that journal takes its alternative and pithier title.  Early articles in "Bathafarn" are now accessible via the NLW's Welsh Periodicals website.)

I am not clear yet about exactly when Weaver gave up the tenancy,  but it seems probable that he did so in the mid-thirties.  His eventual successor (whether or not immediate) must have been the Samuel Owen whose leaving auction in March 1840 was mentioned in Reply 24.  If someone were able to have a look at the tithe apportionment  schedule,  that might shed some more light on the chronology.

Finally there is the Voelas estate's advert of 1843 (mentioned above),  apparently seeking a purely agricultural tenant.  That probably signified the end of the house's spell as one of the great posting inns -- as the 1851 census entry appears to confirm.  A couple of years on,  George Borrow's evidence pointed the same way (Wild Wales, chapter xxvi):

I walked on briskly over a flat uninteresting country, and in about an hour's time came in front of a large stone house. It stood near the road, on the left-hand side, with a pond and pleasant trees before it, and a number of corn-stacks behind. It had something the appearance of an inn, but displayed no sign. As I was standing looking at it, a man with the look of a labourer, and with a dog by his side, came out of the house and advanced towards me.
"What is the name of this place?" said I to him in English as he drew nigh.

"Sir," said the man, "the name of the house is Ceiniog Mawr."

"Is it an inn?" said I.

"Not now, sir; but some years ago it was an inn, and a very large one, at which coaches used to stop; at present it is occupied by an amaethwr - that is a farmer, sir."

P.S.  There is an attractive (presumably late 19th c.) illustration of Cernioge Mawr and the roadway outside to be seen in C G Harper's The Holyhead Road;  the Mail-Coach Road to Dublin (1902),  which is accessible by visiting this Internet Archive page,  clicking the Read Online button in the left-hand panel,  and then going to page 226.

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 18 September 10 05:13 BST (UK) »

Part  4

Back to the central problem.

As a latecomer reading this thread from October 2008 onwards,  I am struck by the fact that no contributor seems to have expressly reported undertaking the usual sort of trawl through the PRs (Pentrefoelas + Ysbyty + Cerrigydrudion),  so as to extract any possible  candidate baptisms within the key couple of years.  Following Wilcoxon's wise prompt about the same point,  back in February (Reply18),  it may well be that these searches have in fact been performed (presumably with a nil result);  but if so,  it would be very good to know the outcome.  (Please correct me,  someone,  if I have inadvertently missed an explanation covering this.)

I realise that an entry in the name "Margaret Hussey Burgh" has been sought in the online civil registers -- and has duly failed to turn up.  But I am wondering about Margarets more generally,  especially any with parent(s) whose abodes are stated to be at or near the inn,  perhaps accompanied by (more or less blunt) clerical hints about illegitimacy.  As both Wilcoxon and Heywood have said,  the obvious likelihood is that the child will have been christened under her mother's maiden surname.  Margaret herself was evidently happy to assert her paternal ancestry later in life.  But we should not be deluded about the likelihood that her maternal family would have felt a good deal more diffident about the matter back at the time of her birth.

The microfilms of the parish registers (plus any surviving nonconformist ones) are probably a better bet than the civil registration records,  not just because they are cheaper if the need is to assess the full context and sift through many possible names in the traditional way,  but also because of the known non-compliance rate for the civil birth records in the early years.  It would not really be too daunting a task,  given that the area had so sparse a population.

For those who did not know,  early in 2010 a sub-optimal but easier alternative to some at least of the microfilms became available.  At some point between the PR lists in their Dec. 2009 and Mar. 2010 journals,  the Clwyd FHS published vol. 2 of their Pentrefoelas PR transcription,  covering baptisms and burials from 1813 to the end of the century.  (The preceding vol. already took marriages beyond 1813,  but only to the beginning of civil registration.)  At the current UK price of £5.90,  the new vol. would set a buyer back encouragingly less than the cost of a single GRO cert. . . .  And maybe some reader of this thread has access to a copy already.

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 18 September 10 05:15 BST (UK) »

Part  5

Despite the apparent want of that PR search,  those of us living distant from the NLW and the N. Wales record offices are not entirely without the means of making progress.

It makes obvious sense to have a good look at the census entries for the households at and near Cernioge.  The housekeeper,  ostler and other servants living at the main inn in June 1841 do not advance us much,  beyond suggesting that custom was lacking,  and was probably by then scarcely even being solicited.  But,  as I noted at the end of Reply 24 (and I was not the first),  the preceding house looks more interesting,  especially when analysed in conjunction with the same people's entries in 1851.

I believe that the building described as the "Feather[?s] Inn Kernioge" in 1841 is the same place as the one labelled "Cernioge, (Shop)" in 1851 -- and is identical with the place still shown as "Cernioge Feathers" on the modern OS 1:25,000 maps today (three or four hundred yards west of Cernioge Mawr on the other (N) side of the road).

Slicing and dicing the evidence,  this is my speculative interpretation (abbreviated census years relied upon are displayed in square brackets,  where they have not been explicitly stated):

1.  Margaret  Jones.  In 1841 Head and probably already a widow ['51],  running both a shop and a tavern/inn business.  Taking a back seat as Housekeeper in 1851.  Born Gwytherin,  1784-5 ['51].  At first glance one might conclude that she was the mother of all five of the young Joneses living under the same roof.  That seems a reasonable enough working hypothesis in relation to the first three (John, Eliza and Henry).  But as to the youngest two (Francis and Sarah),  the ground is shakier -- both because Margaret was coming to the end of her plausible span of fertility,  and because her eldest known child John was by then just about old enough to father children himself.  A question that needs parish register adjudication.  A possible candidate name for her late husband is mentioned in the footnote to the para about her son John (next).

2.  John Jones.  Son.  Born Pentrefoelas, ca. 1812-13 ['51].  (Re JJ's birth and parentage,  see also the footnote below.)  Ran the shop side of the business in 1841.  In that year shown surprisingly late in the enumeration sequence,  conceivably because the family's two income sources used separate physical entrances and were to a degree "semi-detached" from each other (just a guess).  The relationship with his mother is made explicit in 1851.  By that date the innkeeping side of the business (active a decade earlier) failed to rate a mention,  and there were no guests in the house to match John Richards,  the peripatetic Ind[ependent] Min[ister] who had been there in 1841.  If John Jones was the (married) father of any of the younger children present in 1841,  he was either already a widower or his wife was away from home.  By 1851 he certainly had a resident wife (again?) -- Anna Maria,  of whom more below (person 7 in the list).

3.  Eliza Jones.  Probably daughter of Margaret.  B. Denbs. 1816-21 ['41].  Absent 1851.

4.  Henry Jones.  Probably son of Margaret.  B.  Denbs. 1821-26 ['41].  Absent 1851.

5.  Francis Jones.  Could be son or grandson of Margaret.  B. Denbs. 1828-29 ['41].  Absent 1851.

6.  Sarah Jones.  More probably a granddaughter of Margaret's than a daughter.  B. Denbs. 1832-33 ['41].  Absent 1851.

7.  Anna Maria Jones (née Weaver).  Absent 1841;  wife of John Jones ['51].  B. Ruthin 1800-01 (so an unusual dozen years her husband's senior).

8.  Job Weaver.  (Ah ... heard of him.)  Father to Anna Maria and present in 1851.  Absent in 1841.  Described as Annuitant -- but already known to readers of this thread as the (now aged) landlord of the inn at Cernioge Mawr in its glory days.  (Since his wife gave birth in Ruthin ca. 1800,  perhaps he ran an inn there before coming to Cernioge.)  B. Clutton,  Cheshire,  1768-69 ['51].  N. Wales BMD records his death in 1853;  FreeBMD has his name mistranscribed as John,  Q4 1853 (correction submitted).

9.  Margaret Jones.  The house's third and final new-arrival since 1841.  Absent in that year,  of course,  by reason of age:  b. Pentrefoelas 1843-44 ['51].  Niece of John Jones,  the Head in 1851.  So the daughter of a sibling of John's who was then absent -- perhaps a child of one of Persons 3, 4 or 5 above (No. 6 being too young),  or perhaps of an unknown sibling absent in 1841 as well as in 1851.

So much for the apparent census "facts" at Cernioge.  What about the "editorial",  on the implications?  Next post.

Footnote:  The Clwyd FHS's transcript of the earlier Pentrefoelas PRs (baptism section) ends with 1812.  A kind person who has access to a copy has checked for me to see whether John Jones's christening may just have "made the cut" -- and it seems that there is indeed a reasonable candidate entry:  [Baptisms,  1812]  John,  son of John Jones,  blacksmith,  Kernioge Mawr, and Margaret his wife,  6 September.

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 18 September 10 05:20 BST (UK) »

Part  6

Well now,  others have already noticed that the inhabitants of the Cernioge Feathers Inn & Shop are of potential interest for the MHB hunt -- as demonstrated by Heywood's post in January this year:

I think, and always have done, that Margaret would be illegitimate ...... - looking at suitable census entries for Margaret there is this for Margaret Jones niece.

1851 HO107; Piece: 2508; Folio: 487; Page: 1

now trying to match this family to an 1841 family is not easy- but going off the occupation of 'shopkeeper' for John Jones- there is this one:

1841 HO107; Piece 1402; Book: 15;  Folio: 13; Page: 10

there are a couple of young women in the household who could be the mother of young Margaret.

. . . a point later reinforced by Cajondy after making her 1911 census breakthrough:

...  I checked the census records for 1851 (Cernioge shop - not MAwr) and found a John Jones with a niece of 7 called Margaret Jones (am I clutching at straws here)

On the evidence available I think Heywood's instinct was spot on target.  I reckon that Margaret the Niece is a prime suspect.  Absent a successful search for a baptism in the PR microfilms,  I think trying to discover more about the daughters of the house who were present in '41 and gone in '51 might just yield valuable new clues.

So,  maybe useful to gnaw further at the problem -- by trying to discover extra info about these people.

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 18 September 10 05:23 BST (UK) »

Part  7

SARAH JONES

The usual online sources sort her out fairly easily.

Her absence from the Cernioge shop on 1851 census night is explained by an entry at Well Street, Ruthin (which actually lies within the parish of Llanrhydd).  Both Sarah and her brother Francis -- another Cernioge absentee -- were at the house of a grocer called William Williams.  An Irish-born music teacher and Francis himself (21, Groom) were classified as lodgers,  whilst Sarah appeared as Sarah J. Jones,  Visitor,  17,  Annuitant.  Their birthplaces were both entered as "Denbighshire Cenioge".  Finding the two together in this way does marginally strengthen the thought that they were siblings.  (Ref. is HO 107 / 2504 fo.253r p.12.)  It may also turn out to be relevant that their suspected mother (Anna Maria Jones née Weaver) is recorded as having been born in Ruthin.

In 1858 Sarah married a William Jones at Cerrigydrudion parish church (N. Wales BMD) -- probably in Q3 (Corwen 11b 517),  as that is the only "Sarah Jane" entry on FreeBMD for Corwen RD with a matching William Jones (although there is also a "Sarah" with a William in Q4).  The presence of that additional name -- not mentioned in the 1841 census -- is a useful pointer,  because the 1861 census finds the newly-marrieds installed at No.1 Rhyd y Groes Cottages (NW of Cerrigydrudion village),  with William recorded as an ag. lab. (RG 9 / 4310 fo.49r p.5) -- and Sarah appears there with the middle name Jane attributed to her in the GRO index.  This of course implies that the entry from the local civil register was mistranscribed into N Wales BMD,  given that the GRO's only source for the extra name (as also shown in the 1861 census) must have been the local registrar's return,  derived from his original register.  (N. Wales BMD notified.)

By 1871 the family had moved into Cerrigydrudion village and were living at No.3 Ty Coch,  just near the Queen's Head Inn,  and William had set himself up as a stonemason.  There were six children.  See: RG 10 / 5680 fo.82v p.12.

Sarah's household census entries in 1861 and 1871 are of interest in relation to the Cernioge Joneses more generally,  because John Jones and Anna Maria his wife had come to live with her and given up their business.  In 1871 John is described as Formerly Shopkeeper,  and in 1861 -- more informatively -- as Formerly Linen Draper.  The ages attributed to him concur in implying a DoB within 1812-13,  so matching the dates suggested by his listing at the shop in 1851.

In 1861 John Jones's relationship to the head of the household (i.e. William) is clearly shown as father-in-law,  so seeming to remove any lingering doubt that Sarah might have been a very late child of John's mother Margaret,  rather than John's own.  The 1871 entry slightly be-fogs that clarity by identifying him as William's father rather than father-in-law,  but the odds must be heavily in favour of that being a simple enumerator's error.

Sarah's own ages in the three censuses imply that her year of birth fell into the range 1833-35.  As was already clear from the 1841 census,  that means that she can be pretty safely eliminated as a possible mother for MHB (b. ca. 1843).