Author Topic: John Cartwright in the 1861 Census  (Read 1656 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Cartwright in the 1861 Census
« on: Monday 31 January 05 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, can anybody help?

I'm trying to trace a John Cartwright in the 1861 Census. He was born in Nantwich in 1837.

In 1851, he was living in Nantwich, Cheshire, aged 13 as an apprentice shoemaker. Then he disappears.

He turns up again, it seems,  in the 1871 Census,  living in East Wellhead, Heeley, Hallam, Sheffield, aged 32, as a boot and shoemaker. By this time, he was married to Sarah Ann, also aged 32. She was born in Sheffield.

Later censuses seem to place him in Northampton (1881), Liverpool (1891) and although he was deceased by this time, his family were in Wallasey in 1901. If it's one and the same person, I've no idea why he moved around such a lot.

In a sense, as he seemed to move around a lot (?) he could be virtually anywhere. However, neighbouring counties are as good a starting place as anywhere else. (I'm assuming that it's possible to search census returns coutywide??).

Anyway, if anyone could help, it would be really wonderful.

Thanks

Neil

Offline Ashlee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Cartwright in the 1861 Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil,

I have managed to find John Cartwright in the 1861 Census. He was a lodger at 19 North Road, Preston, Lancashire. I have added details about the household below:

William Kitchen, Head, Married, 67, Spinner, Preston Lancashire

Mary Kitchen, Wife, Married, 64, [no occupation], Pontefract Yorkshire

Margaret Colligan/Calligan?, Visitor, Unmarried, 7, Scholar, Preston Lancashire

John Cartwright, Lodger, Married, 23, Shoemaker, Nantwich Cheshire

Thomas Johnson, Lodger, Unmarried, 23, Tinplate Worker, Ulverston Lancashire

Perhaps he travelled as often as he did to get more work as he would have been self-employed and an income was not guaranteed?

I hope this helps! If I can help with anything else just let me know.

All the best,

Ashlee
Rowland family of Youlgreave/Bakewell, Andrew family of Bradwell, Gascoigne family of South Yorkshire and Saxby family of Hull/Lincoln. Families in Bradwell, Hope, Castleton etc. (Hope Valley), Derbyshire.