Author Topic: PAGE family arrived South Australia from 1850  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Janine G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PAGE family arrived South Australia from 1850
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 May 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
I know your post is quite old now but have just come across it whilst researching my family history. James Page and Susan Allen are my great-great grandparents. I descend from their daughter Helen who married Lewis Hogg who's father Benjamin built a house a few doors from the Page's home "Whitehall" which was renamed "Rusthall" My grandmother Linda was born in this house on Hoggs Rd Mitcham named "Haverhill". Both these homes are still standing. I have quite a bit of history on these two families since there arrival in South Australia, but have been unable to trace James Page's parents. Have you had any success? If you require any info of the Australian Page's please contact me
Regards Janine

Offline Ranald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 July 14 02:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Janine

I am a G Grandson of Helen Hogg (nee Page).  My G Mother was Dorothy Mildred, sister to Linda (and others).  My mother Heather is still alive (turning 102 February), so a good link to the past. We have accumulated a great deal on info on the Pages and Hoggs, including photographs. would be pleased to share with you.  Contact me at:  (*)

Ranald Stewart 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 July 14 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ranald

Welcome to rootschat :)

We are not permitted to post email addresses on the forum and suggest you remove it by modifying your post and deleting it.

After you have made three posts you can exchange information etc by personal message.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janine G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 July 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ranald,
      How exciting to find a cousin so closely related.
I have our family tree on MyHeritage, and, through matching trees, actually have your mum Heather on my tree with married name Stewart  but no info on husband or children. How wonderful that she is still alive! I wonder if she remembers my dad at all (1st cousins) perhaps when they were children. My dad was born in 1918 and passed 2010. Longevity runs in the family it seems.
I also have family photos and info, so would love to catch up and share. I have James Page's father as Henry, if correct, but have not been able to go back any further.
It looks as though we need to communicate a few times before we can leave our details, as soon as that's possible I will also send my email and phone number.

Regards, Janine

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 July 14 16:50 BST (UK) »

HORACE HAVERHILL Page Christened 5 Dec 1828 (birth 8 Nov 1828), Saint James,Westminster,London
Parents HENRY/JANE

1841 Census
St James, Middlesex
HO107/736/4/St James
Henry Page, 50, Independant, not born in County
George Vemping, 25, Male Servant, not born in County
Thomas Page, 15, Grocer, born in County
Harran Page, 12 (Horace), born in County
William Page, 9, born in County
Francis Down, 8, born in County
Lane Page    50 (Jane), not born in County
Catherine Stokesberry, 25 Female Servant, not born in County

Family Trees have Jane as nee GODDEN and there is a Marriage in London 6 Oct 1826.
Some of the Trees have earlier Children for Henry starting with  Jane 1810;
But the 1825 Marriage has Henry as a Bachelor!

Trish :)   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ranald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Janine,
I am totally intimidated by the antisocial mediators here.
We are cousins, but apparently are not permitted to make contact until making umpteen posts here.  Strange for a supposedly passive site.  I have a lot of information on our family to share, as I am sure you have on your branch.
I hope you will persevere.

Ranald

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Janine,
I am totally intimidated by the antisocial mediators here.
We are cousins, but apparently are not permitted to make contact until making umpteen posts here.  Strange for a supposedly passive site.  I have a lot of information on our family to share, as I am sure you have on your branch.
I hope you will persevere.

Ranald

Ranald I suggest you read this link...and it is not umpteen posts it is three.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/help_index.php
Please do not include personal contact details in postings.
This includes e-mail addresses, postal addresses, telephone numbers, etc.
The moderators will delete personal data.

There is a personal message system which you can use to exchange personal details when you have made one more post.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janine G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ranald,

Perseverance is the word! Sad that they must need to put this privacy protection in place, there are too many weirdos out there! Last post says only one more needed, so should be able to send a private message next one  :)

I have not had any other contact with relatives from great grandmother Helen's children, so this is wonderful! Has your mum told any family memories? I started working on our family tree a year before my dad, who had advanced Alzheimer's, passed away. Sadly I missed the opportunity to ask him many questions. My grandmother Linda suffered the same fate passing away when I was aged 19. I have wonderful memories of her, spending holidays with her on the farm her brothers owned at Darke Peak. She also came and stayed with us sometimes while in Adelaide.

Have you done a family tree? And do you have our family history book "From Whence We Inherit" by Joan Jenkins? Interesting that Laura, Helen's sister, went to London to claim the "Page Millions" but looks as though, the family connections to the Page's of Wembley are hard to trace as her papers appear to be lost. I have used this book to add to my family tree.

So look forward catching up with you

Regards, Janine

Offline Deb07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 January 17 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am a great great granddaughter of Helen Hogg (nee Page) and Benjamin Hogg and their son Royston Hogg is my great grandfather. My grandmother. Audrey Hensel (new Hogg) did a lot of work for the book Whence we Inherit. I am trying to find more more records of James Page to confirm his lineage and more particularly birth records and his parents records. Is anyone able to assist? It's fascinating to be in touch with some distant cousins. A painting of Helen Page hangs on my mother's wall.

Ian, you will also be interested to know that a large gun tree still stands in the caravan park at Brown Hill Creek Mitcham, where the Page family "lived" when they first migrated to Australia. Also on a visit to view RustHall last year the original gates still stand with the initials RH on the wrought iron gates.