Author Topic: John GRINDLEY Marriage to Honour circa 1805  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Springett 1879-1955 & Great Uncle Richard
    • View Profile
John GRINDLEY Marriage to Honour circa 1805
« on: Thursday 09 October 08 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Can anyone help me with the marriage of John Grindley born 1870 Forton. He was a carpenter/joiner by trade and married Honour/Honor born circa 1782 roughly around 1804. They had seven children that I know of:

Elizabeth 1806 Chetwynd
Hannah    1811 Chetwynd   
William     1812 Chetwynd
Thomas    1816 Chetwynd
Mary         1817 Forton
Ann          1821 Forton
Sarah       1823 Forton

I asked for a look up at the Shropshire Archives at Shrewsbury and they have checked the Chetwynd marriage registers from 1799-1806 but they couldn't find a marriage. They also checked the neighbouring parish of Edgmond but without any success. They also said that since the Shropshire registers are pretty well covered on IGI it wouldn't be worth me paying £20 per hour to have them check the registers when there was little hope of finding the marriage. I have also looked at IGI/Hugh Wallis without any luck myself. I did find the baptisms for the aforementioned children with the first four being from Chetwyn I felt sure that would be where they married.

I have John and Honor on the 1841 census (HO107 PIECE 974 BOOK 4 PAGE 1), but it's illegible. Honor is listed as leonna and she and John are at home with their daughter Ann 20 and her baseborn son Alfred 3 months. You can just make out that Leonna/Honor is born out of county. I have Honour's death certificate and it clearly states her name, but to confuse the issue on the 1851 census John is now widowed and living with his daughter Sarah Yates and her family and his granddaughter is called Leonora  (HO107/PIECE 1998 PAGE 9)

Does anyone have any suggestions ? ::) Is this confusion over her name why I can't find a marriage, or am I looking in the wrong place

Regards

Dee
Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham