Author Topic: Birtley,Co.Durham  (Read 23069 times)

Offline Heinz 57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birtley,Co.Durham
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 June 09 10:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!
I was down at Gateshead library and I couldn't find Buffalo Terrace on any of their maps so I was well and truly stumped. I knew roughly where it 'should' have been as I have looked at the census route many times.

The family I was looking for were called Lewcock. I don't suppose your mother remembers any of them?

Thank you again!
My lot were miners so flats would make sense.

Lynn
Bridgett - Tyne and Wear,Derbyshire.
Crawford - Co. Durham, Ireland,
Laycock - West Yorkshire, Co. Durham
Frazer - Co. Durham
McCutcheon,Broadfoot, Lemond - Wigtownshire
White - Co. Down

Offline MickPat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 June 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
Lynn

I checked with my mother and although she remembers some families who lived in Buffalo Terrace she has no recollection of anyone called Lewcock.  She was born in 1926 so her recollections will be from the 1940s and 1950s.

Offline pick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 23 August 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where West Terrace was situated in Birtley? My dad lived there  according to the 1911 Census. I have tried to get an old Godfey map of Birtley but it's now out of print and there are no plans to reprint.

Many Thanks
Pick

Offline onebignefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn

while not answering your post specifically hopefully this is of interest to you

1891 census............  No. of Schedule 61      John   Lewcock  aged 72 Head General Shopkeeper Married to Sarah aged 62
                                         Lodging House         James Lewcock (son) aged 34 Coal Miner (widower)
                                                                              Sarah Lewcock aged 10 (grand daughter)
                                                                              Mary   Lewcock (grand daughter) aged 7

No. of Schedule 60      Entries for Buffalo Terrace

1901 census..........    No. of Schedule 142     Sarah Lewcock aged 72 Head of family   -  Lewcocks Buildings
                                                                                Mary  Lewcock aged 17
                                                                                Elizabeth Lewcock

No. of Schedule 141      Entry for Buffalo Cottage

No. of Schedule 140      Entries for Buffalo Terrace

i stumbled across this map site which i think is great while you have to pay for the maps you download its a great research tool if you have broadband internet

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html

streets in that area of the new birtley baths south of Harris Bank eg Napier Terrace, Buffalo Terrace, John Street, Swinburne Place, Wilfred Street, Richmond Place

Kind Regards

Dave from NZ via Lord Lawson School Birtley

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where West Terrace was situated in Birtley? My dad lived there  according to the 1911 Census. I have tried to get an old Godfey map of Birtley but it's now out of print and there are no plans to reprint.

Many Thanks
Pick

West Terrace comes between Grove Cottages and Daisy Cottages in the 1911 Summary Books. Grove Cottages and Daisy Cottages are still there. If you go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm and enter the coordinates 427519, 555860 in to search it will centre the map on the location. There were only seven houses in West Terrace.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Stan - thanks so much for that information. I had given up hope of ever finding out where my dad lived in Birtley. thanks for the link and coordinates too.
The next time I go up there I will go and find the location.
Best wishes and Happy Christmas from a grateful,
Pick

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pick
You can see Grove Cottages on Google Street View at http://www.rootschat.com/links/0avs/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 December 10 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I beat you to it Stan!

But thanks.
Pick

Offline stevejb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 16:42 BST (UK) »
A bit of a coincidence. I was looking at the history of Birtley around 1870 to 1881 and the first random name I chose as being from Birtley was Elizabeth Proudlock who lived on Buffalo Terrace. Another coincidence I am Steve Pick.
My search is about the children, or should I say grandchildren, of Robert Telfer. He was a shepherd born in Throckington about 1813. On the 1881 census are 4 grandchildren all being shown as born in Birtley, Robert Telfer 8, Sarah Jane Telfer 6, Robert Telfer 3 and Elizabeth Potter 1 month.
It was difficult to track Telfer as Telford, Tefler are other names on other censuses.
His wife Mary Bryden, died in 1864.
In 1871, he and his 5 children were living in Pelaw Houses, Harraton and in 1881 in Barley Mow Harraton.
I started this search with Elspeth Pick (b1847) as she married John Pick in 1887 in Chester le street. A daughter Elizabeth Pick is shown in the 1891 census aged 11 and I wondered who her father was. Elizabeth (b1881) and her 3 sibblings don't show up in deaths or on the 1891 under their names on the 1881 census.
I am guessing the granddaughter shown on 1881 census as Elizabeth Potter became Elizabeth Pick on the 1891 census. FreeBMD seems to be down, as I write, but from memory I am fairly sure there was no Elizabeth Potter born in 1881 in Birtley.
I wonder how many births there were in Birtley in this decade.
John Pick was the brother of my great grandfather William, so it is no big deal, but I am just curious how 4 kids could be listed on the census and I don't know their parents, except perhaps for Elizabeth. However, if my guess is correct I wonder why she was called Potter.

If anybody has input I would love to hear, but it looks like further information can only be speculation.
Steve in Texas