Author Topic: Rock Hall nr Alnwick  (Read 10671 times)

Offline swinney

• RootsChat Extra
  • John "sugar bag" swinney
    • View Profile
Rock Hall nr Alnwick
« on: Sunday 19 October 08 13:20 BST (UK) »
hi looking for any historical information on 'Rock Hall' all i seem to be able to find out is basic information about some of the Northumbrian families, Rock, Swinhoe, Lawson, Salkeld, Proctor and Holford
my main intrest is in the "Swinhoe" family
could anyone point me in the right direction on how to find outwhich "swinhoe's" lived there

regards colin
Berwick upon Tweed -Swinney, Bruce, Hastie,Wood,Keen,Boston, Laidler/Laidlaw

Stirlingshire - Strang, liddell,Skelton,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Hall nr Alnwick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 October 08 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin  :)

What time frame are you interested it?

From what I've read, Rock Hall (or it's fore runner) seems to have been there since at least the 13th century and the Swinhoe family is mentioned.

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Rock/RockHall.html

http://www.durham-pa.gov.uk/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRN=N5841

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Hall,_Northumberland

There is also reference to Sir Thomas Swinburne of Edlingham Hall being High Sheriff of Northumberland 1627-8 here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Sheriff_of_Northumberland

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline swinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 October 08 14:35 BST (UK) »
thanks for such a prompt reply.
 i am having quite a few problems with my tree due to so many variations on my family name,

today we are called swinney. but have swinhoe. swynhow. swinno and so on
the period i am looking at is 1500-1600 ralph swinhoe and george swinhoe
 thanks colin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 October 08 14:42 BST (UK) »
I expect you may have this but Ralph Swinhoe crops up here:

http://www.geocities.com/layedwyer/grey.htm   mentions 'about 1553'

and

http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/GREY8.htm   - married Isabel Darcy 'about 1536'

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 October 08 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Swinney.

Sorry to butt in.  Is Rock Hall not a private school now?  The reason for why I say this is when I was out with my walking group a couple of years ago we went up to Rock to walk from there.  There was a very impressive building there and someone in the group said that it was quite an exclusive private school.  The building and its grounds was big enough to be a hall. 

Perhaps I'm misleading you.  I apologize if I do.

J.A.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline swinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 October 08 10:29 BST (UK) »
hi
 you are correct it is now a very exclusive school, i have to make an appointment to go there to take pictures (i got chased off the land as i never had permission from the governors lol.. cheek)

regards
colin

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 October 08 18:33 BST (UK) »
Rock was held for half a knights fee of the Barony of Alnwick. It was acquired by a Swinhoe probably by marriage in the late 14th century.  The heiress Margery Swinhoe married a Lawson in thearly 16th century. There is a pedigree in Raine's North Durham. Other Swinhoes remained in Rock however until at least1654.  The only adult Swinhoe of fighting age in the Rock muster list of 1538 is Robert Swynno who heads the list of those able bodiedandfully equipped. The old tower was abandoned for a newunfortified house erected alongside by the Salkeld owners.  It now belongs to the Bosanquets. For many years it was a youth hostel but  they now operate a private school and nursery there.
hope this is of interest, Peter

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 October 08 20:12 BST (UK) »

Rock Hall lay near the village of Rock.
The village of Rock lay within the " Township" of Rock.
Rock township was one of 11 townships that comprised the ancient Parish of Embleton,

Rock township, when it got it's own church was " upgraded" to a Chapelry , a satellite of Embleton Parish. Then eventually Rock got it's independence.

The book "The History of Northumberland" published 1895 by Andrew Reid & Co, Volume 2 contains the a-z of Embleton Parish.
This volume contains several detailed family pedigrees ( including Craster,  Grey, Wood families, etc) I can't say if Swinhoe family figures
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The Northumberland section of the web site
www.genuki.org.uk , in the Parish section, has info on Rock ( and a photo of Rock Hall)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The northern neighbour of Embleton Parish was Bamburgh Parish.
SWINHOE was one of the 24 townships/chapelries that made up Bamburgh Parish.

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 June 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
I promised you ages ago I would contact you with info on the Rock Swinhoes (and other Swinhoes) given me by my uncle, after I'd finished moving house. Well, I've finally been able to unearth those notes and go through them. They're mostly a hotchpotch of the history of Rock and its owners, and mentions of Swinhoes of places like Chatton, Mousen, Goswick and Cornhill.

As others have mentioned in this post, Rock descended via Margery Swinhoe, after the death of Ralph Swinhoe of Scremerston and Rock in 1525, to the Lawsons, but apparently there were also Swinhoe descendants of younger sons at Rock, one Robert being mentioned in 1538. However, Rock originally came into the hands of the Swinhoes at the death of Robert de Tuggal sometime in the late 1300s, probably by marriage, so they owned the land for a good long time before descending into obscurity!

The Goswick Swinhoes were a younger branch of the Swinhoes of Rock. William of Goswick was an 'English light horseman' stationed at Coldingham, and his nephew was Gilbert of Goswick and Cornhill, who married Dorothy Guevara, daughter of Sir Henry Guevara (who was in turn, a grandson of John Guevara of Segura in Spain). Dorothy was accused of being a witch in 1647 (by the looks of it because of family in-fighting). The Swinhoes seem to have been connected to most of the big families of the area by marriage, actually:  Lady Margery Hamilton, wife of Sir Robert Hamilton, was a daughter of the above-mentioned William, and her sister Mary (Dorothy's accuser) was married first to George Muschamp(e), then Edward Moore.

Searching the National Archives online throws up a lot of Swinhoe and related names for the area you're interested in: for instance, a conveyance and covenant dated 29 August 1635 which mentions the Hamiltons, George and Mary Muschampe, Katherine Swinhoe and William Hamilton, so you might want to do a bit of browsing there! Anyway, if you'd like more detail, let me know, and I'll pm or email you with anything you think might be relevant.