Author Topic: Three Cups PH (Public House)Park Street Walsall  (Read 19070 times)

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Three Cups PH (Public House)Park Street Walsall
« on: Saturday 25 October 08 12:37 BST (UK) »
Looking for information and or photos of the "Three Cups Public House" at 7 Park Street Walsall.
Cheers

Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Three Cups PH (Public House)Park Street Walsall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 08 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again!

Can't find any photos of the Three Cups, but as you seem to have ancestors in the Walsall area you might like to look at this site -

http://www.aclickintime.co.uk/

It has many old photos of Park Street on it, to give you an idea of what the area was like.

Judy  ;)
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Thats a great site with some interesting images. Its totally amazing how all the buildings are all together like that. Very different here in Cairns.
Thanks for all your great suggestions. I would love to travel over to the Walsall area one day, looks very interesting.
 :)
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 November 08 19:38 GMT (UK) »
HI Jbk

I am interested to know if you have a time period for this pub ?  just asking as I live in Walsall and have always followed the history of my town but have never come across the name of this pub.  Where did you first hear of it,  I will see if the towns main library have anything on it for you.

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 November 08 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol
The Three Cups Public House was given to me by the Wasall Local History Center. I have not find any information on this to date by way of the internet.
QUOTE from email
I have checked the 1861 census and found the entry for Thomas Hawkes. I have sent it in another email. He lived in Park St, Walsall, at number 8. From an 1861 directory, I can tell you he ran the Three Cups PH at number 7. The pub existed by 1812 and did not close until 1959.
Thomas had the pub at time of his death or around the time of his death as he was listed as Victualler in 1862 of Park Street. He died of T.B.
Would look forward to any further information regarding this pub, and even a picture which i think is going to be a long shot.
Thank You for offering to look at the Main Library for me that would be appreciated. Thank You
Regard
Jill
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 November 08 13:08 GMT (UK) »
HI Jill

The strange thing is a couple of weeks ago, I noticed the  this building and asked my mother what it used to be, she said she thought it was a pub, but never knew the name of it.  Many old pubs in park street were pubs and are now shops, some had their original exteriors left in the original order and some were just knocked down !!  wicked people !  Anyway I have realised now where it is in Park street, if you look at www2.walsall.gov.uk you will see a page to search images, I think this is the same one you looked at previously.  image 11083 on the left hand side just above the bus, the black and white building next to lloyds bank, it is now an empty shop called Topman/Burtons.  Image 1148 on the right hand side shows the building in 1997.  Image 115 Bridge St 1900 this picture shows what would have been right outside the pub.  The area where the pub was would have been right on the corner of Bridge Street/Park street.  Image 11554 on the left, next to Lloyds band in 1997, you can see that the brook is now covered in, but you can see where the pub was.  I know these are mostly modern photos of the pub, but you can see where it was in park street.  Whats really irritating is that most of the older type pictures were taken of Lloyds Bank which was right next door to this pub or otherwise taken from the top end of Park Street.  I will take a look at the main library for you to see if they have anything, it would be nice to see a picture of it before the developers took over !

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 November 08 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol
Thanks for the running commentary on the images, it is great to have this explained by someone of the area. The explanation means more about the photo that way.
Cheers
Jill :)
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 November 08 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

I have had a search for a photo of the 3 cups at the library and sorry to say there seems to be nothing at all !  I have asked a local historian if he knows or has any pictures and no luck there either.  Its sad to think that a building so old could be altered so much and nobody bothered to take any pictures of it.  Unfortunately it is the same story for many of the old buildings in Park Street.  The only other place I can think of is the planning dept of Walsall Council, maybe they might have a photograph taken at the time of alterations ?  Sorry Jill, will keep my eyes open, I would have liked to see an old picture of it.

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 November 08 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello

The black and white building you mentioned is actually known as 8 Park Street, with No 10 (also Top Shop) next door.  Perhaps No 7 was on the opposite side of the road? 

I have some photos of the upper floor of 8, which is little changed since the 19th century as the stair access was removed - no electricity and redundant gas fittings to walls - if that does turn out to be the building please let me know and i'l pm them.

Regards

TB