Author Topic: Seaking info O'Regan and Culloty Families  (Read 6360 times)

Offline Mary Bridget

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seaking info O'Regan and Culloty Families
« on: Sunday 02 November 08 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for information regarding Denis O'Regan of Tralee, Co. Kerry and his wife Catherine Culloty who I believe was born in Ardfert Co. Kerry.  Any info regarding marriage, births, deaths, etc. would be appreciated.  These are my paternal grandparents.  My father was James Joseph O'Regan born 1924 in Tralee.  Both grandparents had sibling of which I know nothing.  Any help is appreciated.
Regards,
Mary Bridget (O'Regan) Abbey - Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seaking info O'Regan and Culloty Families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 November 08 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but it might be difficult to get such 'recent' information online. 1911 census for Co. Kerry is supposed to come online in December which might help finding Denis and Catherine with their families.
Irish civil record (births, deaths, marriage) indexes aren't online like some other countries but you can order certificates when you have a better idea of dates.
Meanwhile, names of living people shouldn't be posted here so if anyone wants to exchange recent family details, email addresses, etc. then you can use the pm (personal message) systerm after making 3 or so posts (anti-spam measure).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wizard1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 November 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary Bridget,

Welcome to RootsChat. If you post a 1901 and 1911 census look-up request for Denis O'Regan and Catherine Culloty on the Kerry page you might get lucky.

Best of luck with your search,
Peter.

Offline Mary Bridget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 08 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Here is the information I received from Ireland last summer:  I guess what I am really interested right now is my grandfathers family - Denis O'Regan and anything on the people listed here.  Who are they and where did they come from and go . . . .  I am very grateful that you replied.  I have looked at the census and these people don't even show up.  I received this information from church records.  Forward I move . . . . Mary

Culloty
From codladh (sleep) and a Kerry-west Cork name.

James Culloty from the village of Gurrane, Co. Kerry, Ireland

   wife;

   Catherine Donnell

   children;

   Bridget Mary born March 2, 1876
   John born June 22, 1877
   James born April 25, 1879
   Patrick Francis born April 20, 1881
   Mary Anne born September 25, 1882
   Joseph Patrick born March 17, 1884
   Alexander Thomas born February 2, 1886
   Michael John born March 4, 1887
   Catherine (O’Regan) born May 25, 1889

Catherine Culloty married Denis O’Regan on June 8, 1920 at St. John’s R.C. Church, Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland.

Catherine died at St. Catherine’s Hospital, Tralee, Ireland in August 1963.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Mary Bridget- you have loads of names, dates, details on your family and many people will envy you having so much to start your start with. Suspect that at least some of the family might be in Irish census records but spelling of surname might be the problem.
Have you checked the 1901 and 1911 census records for not just Gurrane but the surrounding townlands, and the rest of the parish? it could be that they moved a short distance from Gurrane.
The 1911 and eventually 1901 census will eventually be online at National Archives, Dublin website but it won't be for a while.
It's also possible that some of the children went to other places like England, America, etc.

Ellis Island shows a record for Patrick Culloty, age 24, from Gurrane Ireland, passage paid by father arriving in New York 25 Oct.1906 on "Majestic" from Queenstown, Ireland, a servant, going to brother-in-law Thomas Burke 87? Lancaster St. Cohoes N.Y.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mary Bridget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 November 08 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again.  You have given me a new direction to look in. 
The Patrick Culloty you list fits the age / name of one of my grandmother's brothers exactly! 
Thanks again - Mary Bridget

Offline wmp1983

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 August 10 04:53 BST (UK) »
One of Denis Patrick O'Regan and Catharine Culloty's son's is my Uncle -in-law. now deceased but his wife still lives in Ontario and I am in touch with their children, my cousins.

Perhaps I can be of some help. You can reach me directly  at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php