Author Topic: Welden/Weldon in Cheltenham  (Read 3444 times)

Offline MaggieLou915

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welden/Weldon in Cheltenham
« on: Monday 03 November 08 19:46 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information regarding the family of Thomas Welden, his wife Elizabeth Jones and their children Thomas, Samuel, William James, Ruben, and Francis as per 1841 census.  Thomas was 49 and his wife Elizabeth was 41. Thomas was a brick maker as were a few other Weldens found on the same census, which would make me think they were related.  Thomas and Elizabeth also had a son John.  They came to Canada in 1842 and settled in Quebec.

If anyone can help, please let me know

Thank you

Margaret Dowd
Carver....Bedfordshire and Leeds Yorkshire
Schofield....Hunslet and Leeds Yorkshire
Oliver...Hardingstone and Roade Northampton
Dutch and Hornsby....Bethnal Green and Spitalfields, London

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Springett 1879-1955 & Great Uncle Richard
    • View Profile
Re: Welden/Weldon in Cheltenham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information regarding the family of Thomas Welden, his wife Elizabeth Jones and their children Thomas, Samuel, William James, Ruben, and Francis as per 1841 census.  Thomas was 49 and his wife Elizabeth was 41. Thomas was a brick maker as were a few other Weldens found on the same census, which would make me think they were related.  Thomas and Elizabeth also had a son John.  They came to Canada in 1842 and settled in Quebec.

Thank you

Margaret Dowd

Hi Margaret,

I don't know if you already have this information,  but from the Gloucester Baptisms Index 1813-1837 I found the following:

Samuel (Welden) 22 May 1829 Cheltenham St Mary Parents Thomas (Labourer) & Elizabeth, Abode Cheltenham
Thomas (Welden) 17 December 1826 other details as above
Richard Charles (Wilden) 5 October 1823 other details as above

Regards
Dee
Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham

Offline MaggieLou915

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 08 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dee

I didn't have the actual baptism dates.  I just had approximations based on the census and also dates that were submitted to Ancestry.  Those birth dates  occurred after the baptism so that information was obviously incorrect.  I am going to order a film in from Salt Lake City which should have the other Weldens.  It is the marriages, baptisms and burials 1675-1871 parish registers for St. Mary-de-Lode's Church in Gloucester which I think is the church Thomas Welden married Elizabeth Jones.

Thank you again and I would welcome any other information if it is available.

Marg Dowd

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dee

I didn't have the actual baptism dates.  I just had approximations based on the census and also dates that were submitted to Ancestry.  Those birth dates  occurred after the baptism so that information was obviously incorrect.  I am going to order a film in from Salt Lake City which should have the other Weldens.  It is the marriages, baptisms and burials 1675-1871 parish registers for St. Mary-de-Lode's Church in Gloucester which I think is the church Thomas Welden married Elizabeth Jones.

Marg Dowd

Hi Margaret,

I can't help with the marriages, but I did look at the baptisms again after looking at the 1841 census to get a better idea of the children's ages and where they were living. I think the ones I gave you previously were wrong.
I have since found these:

William Welden 18 September 1831 Leckhampton St Peter parents Thomas (occupation Brickmaker) and Elizabeth,  abode Leckhampton

James Welden 10 November 1833 details as above

Reuben Welden 21 February 1836 details as above (occupation Farmer)

I can't seem to find Thomas, but will look at some other possibilities

I will also look at trying to see  if I can find out anything about Joseph and Richard Weldon who are  the neighbours of Thomas and Elizabeth on the 1841 census.

My apologies for the confusion
Regards
Dee

Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dee

Marg Dowd

Hi Margaret,

I can't help with the marriages, but I did look at the baptisms again after looking at the 1841 census to get a better idea of the children's ages and where they were living. I think the ones I gave you previously were wrong.
I have since found these:

William Welden 18 September 1831 Leckhampton St Peter parents Thomas (occupation Brickmaker) and Elizabeth,  abode Leckhampton

James Welden 10 November 1833 details as above

Reuben Welden 21 February 1836 details as above (occupation Farmer)

I can't seem to find Thomas, but will look at some other possibilities

I will also look at trying to see  if I can find out anything about Joseph and Richard Weldon who are  the neighbours of Thomas and Elizabeth on the 1841 census.

My apologies for the confusion
Regards
Dee

The only baptism I can see is for a Richard Charles Wilden 5 October 1823 Cheltenham St Mary Thomas (labourer) and Elizabeth, abode Cheltenham.

The only baptism for a Thomas Welden is the one I originally gave you.

Regards

Dee

Offline MaggieLou915

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee

Thank you very much for your time and effort.  I appreciate it.

Marg

Offline Meanea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 January 09 13:58 GMT (UK) »

Thank you

Margaret Dowd
Maggie
I am 6 generations down from Thomas and Elizabeth
Thomas -- James-- John--Herbert--Kenneth--Meanea--Little Meanea. 7 for my son
In Quebec in Argenteuil county on the home farms.
Can you go back farther than Thomas and Elizabeth
I have the list of Thomas' children.
Meanea Welden

Offline Meanea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 January 09 15:33 GMT (UK) »

Thank you

Margaret Dowd
Margaret
My records are as such
Thomas and Liz left Glochestershire Aug 8 1842 and arrived down the road from me in Oct 5 1842 @ Stonefield PQ.
Children
John Sept 4 1818
Ann Nov 15 1820
Richard Charles July 10 1823
Thomas George nov 19 1826
Samuel Ap 24 1829
William Aug 25 1831
James Oct 14 1833   My line
Reuben Dec 23 1835
Frances mar 24 1838(died at birth??)
Frances Stephen June 26 1839
Sir Charles Frederick Feb 12 1842
In 1851 Grenville Que Cencus thomas was 60 and Elizabeth was 52
Thomas and Elizabeth landed in America Sept 29 1842
A journey of 7 weeks and 3 days.
Maggie PM me or a email address as I would like to get back with info of Thomas and Elizabeth and before
Meanea

Offline MaggieLou915

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 January 09 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Meanea

Thankyou for your reply. 
I have just sent you a personal message and my email address. 
If you have troubles, contact Helen Welden in Grenville or Eric Bates in Brownsburg/Chatham.
I have found that most families in Grenville are related to many other families.
Please feel free to contact me.  I would love to hear from you.

Margaret Dowd