Author Topic: TURNER Newport baptism lookup  (Read 7636 times)

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
TURNER Newport baptism lookup
« on: Monday 10 November 08 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I've been researching the Turner family of Brewood & Longton for a couple of years now and have continually drawn a blank when trying to find the parents of the potter John TURNER.

Recently I've found information of Walter TURNER on a grave search in Brewood engraved on the Tomb of Johns wife. Looking at  the dates I conclude that they were most likely brothers. Simple I thought ... look up the church christening records. Another blank from 1730 - 1740

Searching around I find that there is a Turner family in Newport, Shropshire, with sons Walter and John born in the 1730s. Not too far away I thought.

I'm asking if somebody could look up christening records to see if they match at all. John abt 1738 & Walter abt 1732. From this I hope to confirm his parents true names.

From his children's names I deduce the names will be John & Sarah.

Thanks for reading this

Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline mauricej

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TURNER Newport baptism lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 November 08 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

From the Newport records, there's a John Turner, parents John and Sarah, baptised at Newport on January 3rd 1736.

Also, with same parents names, there is Thomas Turner, July 13th 1739, and Elizabeth Turner, Sept 25th 1741; but no Walter.

The only Walter Turner about that time was baptised at Newport on February 5th 1734 to parents Walter and Mary.

Also, baptisms at Newport to parents Walter and Mary are John Turner, July 7th 1737; Henry, July 26th 1739, died June 4th 1741; Sarah, April 22nd 1741.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Maurice

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 November 08 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Maurice

And I thought this search would rule out a possible link. So very close I'm thinking that it must be them but there is a big but! Why would the tomb have it wrong I keep asking.

Here is what I have. From http://www.bishopswoodchurch.org.uk/churchyardD.htm (D129) it states .... Near this place was interred WALTER TURNER of Sackville Street, London. Merchant. He died
September 26th 1776. Aged 44 years.... In memory of JOHN TURNER of Lane-End who departed this life December 21st 1787. Aged 49 years.
From the names of his 1st & 2nd born children of each sex, if the 1st born were names after his wifes parents than the 2nd born would have revealed the names of his parents... "Sarah & John"

I had always presumed that Walter was his brother. I guess he could be a cousin but the dates are still a couple of years out.

Even the other family names seem to fit in but the dates don't match perfectly.

The only other thing I can add is that this father of John Turner was a Lawyer

Could I hear what others think??

Rob

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 November 08 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maurice

I've spent some time looking at your information trying to digest exactly what it means. You see going on my death details and age at death then the birth details don't match match by 2 years. My head says to disregard it but as I've been slowly deciphering John Turners Will I now find he had a sister Sarah which also fits in with your information given.

Yesterday from the Brewood Church records we discovered that my John Turner was actually married & buried there. From the wording on the box tomb I had thought he was actually burried elsewhere as it said "In Memory of".

I ask if there is a web site that lists the graves of those buried in that Newport Church?  If I can find your John there then the two families are not the same.

Even if a marriage record for him was found in Newport it will prove the same thing.

Regards, Rob

Offline mauricej

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

I don't know of any web site listing Newport burials but I believe a record of interments at Newport cemetery is held at The Guild Hall, Newport.

You could try writing to them at:
Town Clerk, The Guild Hall, High Street, Newport, Shropshire, TF10 7TX.

Regards,
Maurice

Offline mauricej

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 08 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Rob.

Afterthought, and probably to confuse the matter even more,........

a person's 'age at death' is likely to be the age of that person as given to the minister/clerk/registrar by a relative or friend and, therefore, is probably a 'guesstimate' of the age rather than an exact record. So two or three years either way is not uncommon I would have thought.

Regards,
Maurice

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 November 08 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes Maurice.

Exactly why I'm not totally disregarding it. Just moved to the back burner to allow to simmer for a while.

Here in Australia I have already found 3 which are different to their birth certificates.

When I've finished my Brewood and Longton searches I'll probably be back. One thing I do know is that my Turners were well educated people and that the inscriptions would have been put on the tomb at a later date therefor I feel that these dates are correct. That is why I need to research both of your Turner families further which I can't do right now. After all the reason for this actual post was to rule Newport out. It is funny that they prove to be almost an exact match.

What I do like is when multiple people give their opinion because there is so much I don't know especially in England.

I thank you again for your effort and it is really appreciated. If you ever need a hand with Australian information please ask.

Regards, Rob

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maurice I'm back.

I had a great information lead going along another branch and was spending all my spare time there but now it is time to get back to finding the parents of potter John Turner.

Your information supplied is so very close it can't be ignored so I am now getting back to it. In the mean time I have received information from the USA and have another post going at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,347047.0.html This information I don't believe is correct though but I have to try to prove it anyway.

Before going to the expense of engaging a professional to search perhaps if I were to post another look up request here for burials or marriage details.

What do you think?

Rob

Offline mauricej

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 December 08 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

You probably have John Turner married Catherine Tagg at St Mary's, Brewood on October 19th 1760.

I can't find any marriage of John Turner to a Sarah, nor Walter Turner to Mary in the Newport records between 1715 and 1740.

IGI has a couple of marriages for John and Sarah but these are in the south of the county, about 30+ miles from Newport, I will post details if you require; also one for Walter and Mary on March 18th 1733 in Stafford, about 12 miles away.

Do you have any other leads from your other threads?

Regards,
Maurice