Author Topic: DNA results - the truth will out  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results - the truth will out
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 November 08 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification, Jillie42.
Indeed a good result to get an exact match, and fortunate there was no mutations. Also for explaining the paper trail, which is an important component. If you're a member of ISOGG, they would like to receive success stories.
Best wishes to you & yours.

ISOGG?

I'm not sure how much difference it makes but it was a 46 markers test. I'm hoping I haven't misunderstood the relevance of the tests. I'm leaving telling the "cousins" until the weekend to double check my results
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 November 08 11:17 GMT (UK) »

but then all of us have an ancestor that's "bad" ;)

And then some of us have a list of ancestors who are all "bad" in this way.

As I collect certificates I have found that we have many (very many) abnormally short pregnancies for the first borns of the families, but rarely, if ever for the subsequent children! ;D

I do hope that your husband is ok with the news. I think it can often be a bit unsettling.

I think I read somewhere that in a large percentage of the population of the Western world, the person that people call their father isn't their biological father at all (as high as 60% in some countries, apparently).  If this is true, then we will all have to think about re-writing our family trees - although I'm not sure how you collect DNA data from people who have been cremated  ? :-\
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 November 08 15:03 GMT (UK) »
ISOGG = International Society of Genetic Genealogy
There's lots of useful explanatory stuff of the website to explain how much you can read into a Y-DNA marker test, plus a forum to discuss results with very knowledgeable people. Online membership is free.

http://isogg.org

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 November 08 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Well, since the company I work for has absolutely no orders at the moment I've spent the afternoon checking any site that deals with Y DNY tests.

The only past connection is my father-in-laws mother was the twin sister of the cousins mother. So they were cousins on the maternal side. Since the Y test only tests for father to son connections there can be no doubt of the results I've got.

I simply can't see how they can have identical paternal results and exactly the same Haplogroup R1a results without being very closely connected on the paternal side. There really shouldn't have been a match at all if they had different fathers
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)