Author Topic: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena  (Read 25752 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hill family of Larne, Hillmount and Ballymena
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 07 January 17 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Copy will of Mrs Anna Hill (née Barry) of Carrickfergus = PRONI D300/1/5/90

Extracted from the Registry of the Consistorial Court of Down and Connor, 24th February 1832

In the name of God Amen I Anna Hill otherwise Barry of the Town and County of Carrickergus Widow being of sound and disposing mind, memory and understanding do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner + form following that is to say I leave devise and bequeath unto John Robinson of Burleigh Hill Esqr, The Rev John Paul of Carrickfergus aforesd. and to their heirs all and singular the farms or parcels of land … upon trust …

Daughter Mary Hill otherwise Martin widow of George Hill late of Larne [remarried?]

George Hill McNeill son of Wm McNeill, Larne

Daughter Elizabeth Adams otherwise Hill wife of Wm Adams of Portglenone

James Hill Adams, son of the said Elizabeth Adams
Thomas, brother of the said James Hill Adams

…My daughter Jane Adams of Portglenone … free from the control and interference of her said husband…

[different daughter to Elizabeth?]

John Adams, son of the said James Adams

Grandson John Martin of the City of Dublin
Barry Martin son of the said John Martin

Granddaughter Ann Smyth otherwise Martin, wife of John Smyth of Carrickfergus
Barry Martin Smyth son of the said Ann Smyth
James Hill Smyth son of the said Ann Smyth

John Adams son of daughter Jane Adams

Executors:
Alexr Johns Esq, Carrickfergus
Samuel Nelson, Carrickfergus

Dated 25th August 1830

Signed with a seal and her mark [surprising that she was illiterate?]

Witnesses:
John McLowan M.P.
John Legg Junr
David Legg

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 07 January 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Copy will of George Hill, Larne = PRONI D300.1.5.79

In the name of God amen I George Hill of Larne in the County of Antrim Do make this my last will and testament in manner following hereby revoking all former wills by me at any time heretofore made….

Lists a lot of property in Larne etc…

…for the life of Dr Philip Fletcher which are held under me by ‘Malcolm ‘McNeill, and I have also purchased or agreed for the purchase of certain lands in Drains afsd. from the Trustees of the will of the late Richard Lorimer.  ‘And Whereas by the marriage settlement entered into on my marriage with Mary Hill my present wife a certain portion of the property of ‘Mrs’ Anne Hill the ‘Mother of my said wife was settled or covenanted to be settled to the use of the said marriage as therin mentioned including the lands of Drumcraw in said county the pos’’son of which the said ‘Anne Hill has hereto given…

Appoints his nephew Edward Hill of Bessbank, Co Antrim, and William Kirk Martin (Doctor of medicine) of Woodburn in the County of the town of Carrickfergus as his executors.

Daughters Jane, Anne and Mary

…paid unto my sister Mrs Sarah Anderson the sum of £10 a year during her natural life and from and after the decease of my said sister shall continue the payment of the said annuity of £10 a year unto and amongst her three daughters Jane Anderson, Margaret Anderson and Sarah Anne McCubbin otherwise Anderson during their joint lives…

Brother Arthur Hill (also £10/year)

Daughter Jane widow of the late George Macaulay
Grandson Alexander Macauley
Granddaughters Mary Macaulay, Georgina Macaulay and Anne Jane Macaulay

I do further will and declare that if my Grandson Alexander Mcaulay is desirous to have the house and grounds of Hillmount he shall be entitled to have the same as lately in the tenure of Captain Smyth with right of way to the shore by the present road through McCullions field…

Daughter Anne wife of William Walsh McNeill
Grandson George Hill McNeill
Granddaughter Catherine McNeill

Daughter Mary wife of Arbuthnot Emerson

Niece Jane Anderson (£50 and residue after all expenses)

... In trust in the first place to set apart the sum of £900 late Irish Currency for payment of a certain charge or lieu on my said lands of Ballywilliam and Sallagh payable to Miss Julia Richardson and for payt. of the interest thereof until such time as the said charge or lieu can be paid…

Wife Mary Hill appointed executrix (in addition to Edward Hill and William Kirk Martin already mentioned)

Dated 14th May 1828

Witnesses:
George Birnie, Surgeon, Royal Navy
A. R. Burke
Joshua Thomas Hawkins

Testator died 11th June 1828

Probate granted to Mary Hill Widow the 18th October 1828

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 08 January 17 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Do we know if Edward Hill was a nephew on George Hill’s side, or a nephew on his wife Mary Hill’s side?

There are trees online which have Edward Hill of Bessbank being the son of Trevor Hill.  Is this then the Trevor Hill of Larne who married Theodora Brice?

I see the obituary of Theodora Hill (née Brice) refers to her “the late Trevor Hill, Esq., of Bess Brook”.  I wonder if Bess Brook is the same as Bessbank.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 08 January 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 5th Sep 1807:
BESSBANK
To be sold by auction, at the Exchange Coffee-Room, on FRIDAY the 25th September nect,
THE LEASE (of which 44 years will be unexpired the first of November next) of that much admired place, on the Shore, near White Abbey, containing 2A. 2R. 13P. of a Bank finely planted, with an Orchard of 119 Apple Trees in full bearing, and an elegant Brick House thereon in the Cottage style, built by the late JAMES LENDRICK, Esq. deceased, highly finished, with Brass Locks, Grates, and Marble Chimney Pieces, and in the improvement of which several Hundred Pounds have been laid out in the last two years, in Planting, and Erecting a House near the Sea, fitted for a Hot Bath, with Iron Boiler and Metal Stoves.
The Lease includes alse two Grazing Fields of 5A. 2R. 23P. contiguous thereto, with a good Stone and Lime House for the accommodation of a Gardener, or Porter’s Lodge.
Possession to be given on or before the first of November.
August, 1807.

Royal Belfast Academical Institution – 1821 Entries

Edward Hill … Trevor Hill, Esq., Bessbank, Carrickfergus Road

Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 4th May 1825
RBAI Premiums awarded – Mathematics:
Senior Division … Edward Hill, Bessbank, Belfast

Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 26th Jun 1826
Mr. EDWARD HILL, of Bessbank, late a pupil of the Belfast Institution, obtained a science premium at the examinations just closed in Trinity College, Dublin.

Alumni Dublinenses (Trinity College Dublin):
HILL, EDWARD THOMAS MULLINS,
Pen. (Mr Hincks), Jan. 2, 1826, aged 16; s. of Trevor, e Scribus in Æde Officii Epistolaris; b. Antrim.  B.A. Vern. 1831.

His middle names confirms, I think, that his father was the Trevor Hill married to Theodora Brice (granddaughter of Lord Ventry – Thomas Mullins).  Does anyone know what “e Scribus in Æde Officii Epistolaris” means?

Weekly Vindicator, 22nd Apr 1848:
DIED
At 6, Adelaide Place, on the 13th inst., Jane, daughter of the late Trevor Hill, Esq., of Bessbank.

Belfast Newsletter, 14th Oct 1853:
August 28, at New Orleans, of yellow fever, Edward Thomas Mullins Hill, Esq., eldest son of the late Trevor Hill, Esq., of Bessbrook, aged forty-six years.

Belfast Newsletter, 25th Sep 1877:

HILL – September 24, at 1, Dawson Street, Antrim Road, Belfast, Emily, relict of the late Edward T De Maulins Hill, Esq., formerly of Bessbank, County Antrim, and daughter of the late George A. Kirwan, Esq., of Claremont, County Galway, aged 64 years.  Her remains will be removed from the above address for interment in the New Burying0ground, Clifton Street, on Thursday morning, the 27th inst., at nine o’clock.  Friends will please accept this intimation.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 08 January 17 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter, 25th Sep 1877:[/b]
HILL – September 24, at 1, Dawson Street, Antrim Road, Belfast, Emily, relict of the late Edward T De Maulins Hill, Esq., formerly of Bessbank, County Antrim, and daughter of the late George A. Kirwan, Esq., of Claremont, County Galway, aged 64 years.  Her remains will be removed from the above address for interment in the New Burying0ground, Clifton Street, on Thursday morning, the 27th inst., at nine o’clock.  Friends will please accept this intimation.

Clifton St. Burying Ground-
September 24 Emily Hill (Asthma and Consumption) Aged 64 Teacher Dawson Street Native of Galway 15, Grave Number 36 & 37
http://www.cliftonstreetcemetery.com/

Any connection? Trevor Hill, son of Trevor, married 1858 Sarah Anne Penny-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGZM-QNK
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 08 January 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Ah thanks for the Clifton Street link Aghadowey – I’d forgotten about it.  Were you able to find a headstone to go along with the register?  I’m not sure I completely understand the grave number reference.

I shall look into this Trevor Hill who married Sarah Anne Penny.  Quite likely connected, but I haven’t found proof just yet.

This Trevor was also a son of a Trevor Hill:

Belfast Morning News, 25th Aug 1869   
August 19, in the Presbyterian Meeting-house, Raloo, by the Rev. W. J. Smyth, Trevor Hill, of Eden, Carrickfergus, to Anne Jane Hogset, of Kilroot.

Church record says he was a bachelor, so probably not the same Trevor that married Sarah Anne Penny.

Bessbank aka Bessbrook aka Whiteabbey House…?

Belfast Newsletter, 4th Jan 1842

On the 27th ult., at Albert-place, in the 28th year of her age, Theodora, eldest daughter of Trevor Hill, Esq. late of Whiteabbey-house, deeply regretted by all who knew her.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 08 January 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »
This Trevor was also a son of a Trevor Hill:
Belfast Morning News, 25th Aug 1869   
August 19, in the Presbyterian Meeting-house, Raloo, by the Rev. W. J. Smyth, Trevor Hill, of Eden, Carrickfergus, to Anne Jane Hogset, of Kilroot.

The Will of Trevor Hill late of the North-east Division Carrickfergus Farmer deceased who died 22 December 1872 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of William Hogset of Kilroot (Carrickfergus) County Antrim Farmer and Robert Hill of Eden (Carrickfergus) Ship Carpenter the Executors. Wiil mentions wife Ann Jeane Hill, 'Robert Hills son Trevor' so perhaps this Trevor and Anne Jane didn't have any family?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 08 January 17 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Ah thanks for the Clifton Street link Aghadowey – I’d forgotten about it.  Were you able to find a headstone to go along with the register?  I’m not sure I completely understand the grave number reference.
The headstone inscriptions are in the 2 files on the same page as link to register.

Bessbank aka Bessbrook aka Whiteabbey House…?
Belfast Newsletter, 4th Jan 1842
On the 27th ult., at Albert-place, in the 28th year of her age, Theodora, eldest daughter of Trevor Hill, Esq. late of Whiteabbey-house, deeply regretted by all who knew her.

1861- Whiteabbey House- William Cowan
Probably this man- Cowan, William & Co., flax spinners, 3 York Lane. * Whiteabbey.
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1861a2f.htm
The Will of William Cowan late of Whiteabbey in the County of Antrim Merchant deceased who died 19 June 1861 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oath of John Lowry of Donegal-place Belfast in said County Merchant one of the Executors.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 08 January 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
The headstone inscriptions are in the 2 files on the same page as link to register.

Well assuming the grave reference is Platform 15, Graves 36-37, then the headstone appears to be for a Britten family which is a bit confusing.