Author Topic: Hawkhead mental hospital  (Read 18455 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkhead mental hospital
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I think the crematorium off Berryknowes Rd is / was also a cemetery (Craigton).

It is ..... long day and mind went blank.

Originally a private cemetery/crematorium it is now run by Glasgow Council (or a company owned by them) and over the last few years a lot of the neglect which made the place an eyesore has been dealt with.

Offline rainbowbright

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 December 08 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If I am right, Hawkhead mental hospital is now the Accord Hospice on Hawkhead Road , Paisley.

There is also a cemetery on Hawkhead Road.  It is too late tonight but a phone call to the Hospice would give you a definate answer.

Let me know if you want me to call the Hospice tomorrow.

Regards
Carol   :)

Ps  If you can get hold of a Glasgow A - Z ( the blue and red one)  it shows the hospital beside the cemetry in square E3.  It is back to back with Leverndale.
Dunn  Sunderland/Glasgow
Thomson  Glasgow
McDonald  Glasgow
Keiran  Glasgow
Crow  Sunderland/Hartlepool
Madden  Glasgow/Ireland
Sweeney Glasgow/Ireland
Jeffrey
Jefferson
Tod  Fife/Glasgow

Offline rainbowbright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am not sure if the hospital is still in use as there is now a big housing development in progress but the Accord Hospice is there.

Dykebar hospital is nearby.

Carol
Dunn  Sunderland/Glasgow
Thomson  Glasgow
McDonald  Glasgow
Keiran  Glasgow
Madden  Glasgow/Ireland
Sweeney Glasgow/Ireland
Jeffrey
Jefferson
Tod  Fife/Glasgow

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If I am right, Hawkhead mental hospital is now the Accord Hospice on Hawkhead Road , Paisley.

There is also a cemetery on Hawkhead Road.  It is too late tonight but a phone call to the Hospice would give you a definate answer.

Let me know if you want me to call the Hospice tomorrow.

Regards
Carol   :)

Ps  If you can get hold of a Glasgow A - Z ( the blue and red one)  it shows the hospital beside the cemetry in square E3.  It is back to back with Leverndale.

That hospital was the other Hawkhead and was initially an infectious diseases hospital with the wards all separated in individual buildings.

Given the close proximity of both hospitals it is possible that when both were in Renfrewshire that they may have formed part of the one complex with the mental health areas situated off of crookston road and the Infectious diseases unit located off of hawkhead Road. This would have changed with the boudary changes in the 1920's which saw Glasgow absorb huge areas of Renfrewshire and the boundary between Glasgow and Renfrewshire is now the only boundary between the two areas.

Most of the hospital grounds have been sold off for housing and the Accord hospice which used to be accessed from Hawkhead Road is now open from the other end.

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Wasnt Hawkhead renamed Leverndale Hospital (which still survives to this day )apologies if im mistaken
Sloey,Slowey,O`Connor ,Hammond,Coulston ,Daily,McCabe ,McCartney,Cunningham ,Martin, McKenna,Cairns Fox,Martin Places of interest Monaghan,Glasgow ,Liverpool,Wolverhampton,Wallasey.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Wasnt Hawkhead renamed Leverndale Hospital (which still survives to this day )apologies if im mistaken

You are correct - Leverndale was called Hawkhead right into the 1960's . My grandfather who developed Alzheimers died there and my mother was a nurse there.

Offline rainbowbright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It was the Paisley Infectious Diseases Hopsital that was renamed Hawkhead when Leverndale changed its name in 1964. This caused confusion when patients were sent to the wrong hospitals.

As Ragdollrosies original post was concerning a relative who died at Hawkhead in the 1950's it would appear that he died at the renamed Leverndale Hospital.  Hospital records (if any) may show where he is buried.
Dunn  Sunderland/Glasgow
Thomson  Glasgow
McDonald  Glasgow
Keiran  Glasgow
Madden  Glasgow/Ireland
Sweeney Glasgow/Ireland
Jeffrey
Jefferson
Tod  Fife/Glasgow

Offline joywheel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 January 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hawkhead Hospital was in Paisley.  It was a mental hospital, but by the 1950's it was an infectious diseases hospital. People went there to recuperate from various illnesses such as TB.  It was built in the 1930's  - the architect was one of my forebears.  My father recoverd there from a bout of some tropical disease that he caught in Burma during the second world war.  It was a series of buildings set in lovely grounds, and on sunny days the beds were wheeled out onto neat green lawns so that the patients could get sunshine and fresh air.  Sadly, the place has been torn down to make way for houses.

Offline joywheel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 January 09 22:00 GMT (UK) »
It's certainly confusing. Hawkhead is an area of Paisley, Renfrewshire, and was always the name of the hospital in Hawkhead Road.  Not sure about connection with Leverndale, whose buildings are much older.  As my father spent many months in the Infectious diseases part when I was a child I knew the place well  and never remember any part which was a mental hospital.  The two mental hospitals for Paisley were Riccitsbar and Dykebar.  Leverndale I think housed people with learning disability ( though that had a pretty wide definition - unmarried pregnant girls and people with epilepsy often ended up there).  THe museum of Social Work, if it still exists, will have info on Leverndale. It was part of Hunterian Museum at University of Glasgow, I think.