Author Topic: Looking for Moultin  (Read 2574 times)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for Moultin
« on: Sunday 23 November 08 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I posted a message in Berwickshire asking if anyone was able to tell me where my Seton ancestors came from. I was not sure if Berwickshire was correct but had found Port Seton on the map and thought perhaps it would be close by. Does anyone have any idea where it was? perhaps the village has gone or was in another county? A great Uncle Henry lived at the family home in the early 1900's at Blackwater. Not sure if this was at Moultin
Regards
Keith J Seaton

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Moultin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 November 08 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Port Seton is on the coast of the Firth of Forth to the east of Musselburgh in Midlothian.  I'm afraid it's a fair way from Berwick.

I'm not familiar with Moultin as a place name.  And there are a number of possibilities for Blackwater in Scotland, but not in the Borders that I know of.  Might it have been Blackadder Water, which is a river in the Borders and not too far from Berwick?  Can you give a few more details about your family.  Perhaps the location can be traced from the 1901 census.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 08 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Moulin, Perthshire?
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 November 08 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Little Nell & IMBER,
Family history from a family bible. William Seton, born 1584 @Moultin, Scotland, married Jane Stewart in 1603 & had 3 children, Ann, Robert & Charles. Robert married Isobel Stewart in 1625 @ Moultin. Robert & Ann came to Gedney Hill, Lincolnshire in 1626 & bought 600 acres of Fenland, Crown land sold off by Charles 1 to attract his Scottish followers. Isabel followed the next year. Robert & Isabel had 4 children, James 1621 & 4 others. James married Mary Stewart in 1659 & had Sarah a only child. Sarah married George Seaton in 1700 of another family thus keeping the family name be it spelt different. They had 2 children, Daniel & John. Daniel married Elizabeth Calborne & had 4 children. Robert born 1739 + 3 others. Robert married Mary Peeps in 1771 & had 4 children, John 1773, Thomas 1775 + 2 others. Thomas married Mary Seton & had 5 children. Thomas 1817 + 4 others. Thomas married Ann Hamilton in 1841 & had 7 children. Thomas born 1852 + 6 others. One of these was Henry born 1854 who married Emily Stewart, I think this was the Gt Uncle Henry. Thomas married Sarah Benton & had 6 children, one of these Herbert born 1882 was my Grandfather.
Regards
Keith

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 November 08 11:54 GMT (UK) »
So only the very early generations were born in Scotland?  The rest lived in Lincolnshire - or have I got that wrong?

Has the information in the Bible checked out  from other sources?

The Setons in Scotland held various offices in the time of James VI, but I can't find references to the particular combination of names you have given.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 November 08 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Little Nell,
yes that is right, after the first Robert & Isabel they were all in or around Gedney Hill except a letter I have say's that Gt Uncle Henry took over "Blackwater" the family home at Moultin, Scotland.  I have copies of Seaton baptisms from1773, marriges from 1817, and burials from 1875 at Gedney Hill. I have found census forms from Mary Seaton 60 (widow)with Thomas 20 1841 down to Grandfather Herbert in 1901. But I tried to find a Henry Seaton but have had no luck with him so far.
Regards
Keith 

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 November 08 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

I can only see Henry in the 1861 English census, not there with family in 1871. Can't see him after this  :-\ The only Henry Se(a)ton showing in later censuses married to a Emma (nothing for Emily) looks to have been born in Warwickshire.

Can't see anything for Henry either in Scotland in those years.

Apart from that letter you have, it's hard to see what Henry was doing in those years. Could Henry be son of another of the Seaton line? For example there is the John Henry born c. 1868 to John Thomas Seaton (b. 1843) and Alice.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 November 08 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
I have the John Henry in the burials at Gedney Hill, he was buried on 24.12.1929 age 60, abode was Holbeach, Lincs so that rules him out. The Henry in my line was born in 1852, who married Emily Stewart. There are so many Seatons in South Lincolnshire villages that it is easy to get the wrong ones altough they may have all decended from Robert & Isabel as they had 4 children.
Regards
Keith

Offline peteseaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Seaton Genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 March 09 00:02 GMT (UK) »
my "lot" of seatons generate from Edinburgh 1540 (poss a link to Mary Queen of Scots)

John Seton / Seatoun
b 1540 Edinburgh, Midlothian,
Scotland
d
m 1 Sept 1565, Cannongate, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland,
Margaret Nesbeth
b  Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

and somewhere along the line

Robert George Seaton
b 1718
 Tranent, East Lothian, Scotland
(Fought in the battle of Culloden, Scotland in 1746)
d  aft 1756 Logerait, Perthshire, Scotland
m 1737 Blair Atholl,
Elspeth McLauchlane
b 1719 Blair Athol, Perthshire
d 1756, Logerait, Perthshire

and another (the first to leave Scotland to live in Lincolnshire)

Robert Seaton
(Farmer & Farrier and churchwarden 1841)
b 30th Jul 1781 Blair Athol, Perth, Scotland
ch 3rd Aug 1781 Blair Athol, Perth, Scotland
d 2nd May 1852, Waddingham
bur 6 May 1852, St Mary & St Peter, Waddingham
m 24th Dec 1806, St Mary, Waddingham
Catherine Atkinson
b 1784 Alvingham, Lincolnshire
ch 25 Feb 1784 Alvingham, Lincoln
d 22nd May 1856 & bur 24th May 1856, Waddingham
St Mary & St Peter, Waddingham

and several generations later theres me

So only the very early generations were born in Scotland?  The rest lived in Lincolnshire - or have I got that wrong?

Has the information in the Bible checked out  from other sources?

The Setons in Scotland held various offices in the time of James VI, but I can't find references to the particular combination of names you have given.

Nell
Seaton Welch Dempster Linstrom Solloway Lawrence McIntyre