Author Topic: Land and Their Owners in County Down  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Land and Their Owners in County Down
« on: Tuesday 02 December 08 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Information required on the McMaster Family of Ballykine in general and William Watt McMaster (1795-1866) in particular.
Related families that I require information on are The McAlisters of Aghaderg, the Maxwells of Garvaghy and the Wallace family of Magheradrool.
Samuel McAlister, Derrydrummuck, ob. 1847 will proved Belfast by Rev. William and Samuel McAlister (sons). Trying to establish who his father was.
William Maxwell, along with Thomas McMain left the established church at Garvaghy and started their own assembly of dissenters. I have quite alot of information on their descendants but nothing on their ancestors.
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Land and Their Owners in County Down
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. If
www.proni.gov.uk has Will Extract for William McMaster of Ballykine died 1866 proved 1873.
Griffith's Valuation (searchable by name or place):
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php
Lots of items come up if you put 'mcmaster & ballykine' into a search engine like Google.
Also, on Ros Davies' Co. Down site are a whole section on McMasters:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Mc/McMaster.htm

It would be helpful if you could give us a better idea of what you are looking for and where you've already searched so we can suggest other sources.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 12:34 GMT (UK) »

aghadowey said   "It would help if you could give us a better idea of what you are lookong for........" Thank you for the reply. As this is my first venture into Rootschat, I am rather uncertain as to what to inquire about. With regard to William Watt McMaster, I have referred to Griffiths (not the maps). I have read the will in PRONI document no. D773 and have referred to Ros Davis information on County Down families. Other references are: Draft Pedigrees and abstract of deeds of the McMaster family of Dunbarton House, Gilford 1700-1900. MS 81924, Genealogy Office, London. Dunbar Welsh, McMaster connection, REP12 APP 1 1888 page 455, Historical MSS Commission, Dublin Castle. As of now I am aware that William Watt McMaster was one of four brothers so now I am trying to discover their ancestors.
Arbuckle;Bamford;Fagan;Glenny;Graham;Maxwell; McAlister;Mitchell;Williamson;Wisdom

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 13:02 GMT (UK) »
As you are probably aware, the information you are looking for predates census records and civil registration (births, marriages and possibly deaths) is probably too late also. To find church records (if they exist) you need to know the family's religion and where they lived and then see if any records survive for the period you need.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 13:42 GMT (UK) »
As you are probably aware, the information you are looking for predates census records and civil registration (births, marriages and possibly deaths) is probably too late also. To find church records (if they exist) you need to know the family's religion and where they lived and then see if any records survive for the period you need.
Yes, I agree with your line of thought. I have also called with related families in the Magheradrool area to try and establish that.

Yours etc.,   newgentforlife.

Offline GaryOB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 December 08 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi NewGent

You might want to check out the "Belfast Timelines" at www.glenravel.com which are a collection of newspaper stories from those days. 

"Nov 1842 Thomas McMaster, Samuel Boyle and James Nicholl were charged with wilfully and maliciously conspiring to set fire to houses in Stephen Street and McMasters Court with intent to defraud the County Fire Insurance Company.  They were sent to the Spring Assizes."

"Jan 1859 A woman named McMaster (Agnes) was charged by her husband for the eighth time with being drunk and using abusive and onscene language.  She was sent to prison for two months."

"Dec 1867 A woman names Sarah McMaster met her death by a cart driven by a man named McCann....."

"July 1868 An inquest was held.....of a 50 year old woman named Margaret McMaster who allegedly died form the effects of the violence of her husband".

It is worth a look.

Gary
O'Brien (Coleraine/Canada/Donaghadee)
Milliken (Belfast and others)

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 December 08 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi NewGent

You might want to check out the "Belfast Timelines" at www.glenravel.com which are a collection of newspaper stories from those days. 

"Nov 1842 Thomas McMaster, Samuel Boyle and James Nicholl were charged with wilfully and maliciously conspiring to set fire to houses in Stephen Street and McMasters Court with intent to defraud the County Fire Insurance Company.  They were sent to the Spring Assizes."

"Jan 1859 A woman named McMaster (Agnes) was charged by her husband for the eighth time with being drunk and using abusive and onscene language.  She was sent to prison for two months."

"Dec 1867 A woman names Sarah McMaster met her death by a cart driven by a man named McCann....."

"July 1868 An inquest was held.....of a 50 year old woman named Margaret McMaster who allegedly died form the effects of the violence of her husband".

It is worth a look.

Gary
Thankyou Gary, Although I found nothing related to my search, it was rather amusing.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 December 08 09:29 GMT (UK) »
For extra sources on your surnames these Co down names appear in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall library, Belfast. If you are going to visit give warning.  I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and you should be prepared to pay a fee for copying, post and packing, and perhaps some staff time and overheads. However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds.. Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email: <irish.reference[at]linenhall.com>.replace the [AT] with the symbol please
The references are
McALLISTER Vol 92
McMASTER Vol25
MAXWELLVols 17n, 43T, 79 Waring, 91
WALLACE Vols 4p124N Hollymount, 19p1N, 21, 27T, 28N, 29, 40N, 54 typed
Good luck in your quest, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Newgent_for_life

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 December 08 11:20 GMT (UK) »
says
For extra sources on your surnames these Co down names appear in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall library
McALLISTER Vol 92
McMASTER Vol25
MAXWELLVols 17n, 43T, 79 Waring, 91
WALLACE Vols 4p124N Hollymount, 19p1N, 21, 27T, 28N, 29, 40N, 54 typed

Thankyou for this information Jim. There was a time (when I enjoyed better circumstances) that I was a member of the Linenhall Library. If I ever knew about or heard mention of these manuscripts. I do not remember, so thankyou. I most certainly agree with you that this is a worthwhile institution and worth supporting.
Etc.,  Newgent.